For those that do not eat breakfast? Explain how you do it?

Options
Ex: you wake up at 6 am
And you eat nothing until noon?
Just water?
Curious - not bashing.
At what time do you eat dinner? Do you eat late-night snacks?
I have a bit of hypoglycemia, so this is interesting.
People can really go that long without any food?

Replies

• starwhisperer6
    starwhisperer6 Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    Yesterday I got up at 7am, had coffee and water until 1:30 when I ate lunch. The last thing I ate was at 9pm. I'm just not nearly as hungry in the morning as I am at night.
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    I get up at 6:15, have coffee, and eat lunch at noon. (on work days). I do drink a lot of water, sometimes I snack, sometimes I don't. My lunch is small (less than 500 calories) and I save most of my calories for dinner. I don't generally eat late night snacks.
  • nordlead2005
    nordlead2005 Posts: 1,303 Member
    Options
    I wake up at 6am (sometimes later, I don't have to be to work until 8ish). I eat lunch ~11AM. I often drink iced tea in the morning (no sugar or lemon) once I get to work, I rarely drink anything outside of a sip of water prior to 8AM. I eat dinner ~5-6pm. I eat snacks (anywhere from 50-500 calories worth) ~8-9pm after the kids go to bed.

Now, I sometimes eat things in the morning before lunch, but that really depends on what free food is at work. If I go over to the lab I might grab a donut hole or a cookie if they are sitting on the table and eat one before lunch. However, if I eat something in the morning I typically eat lunch closer to noon. I'll also eat snacks in the afternoon, again depending on what is available and if I have calories for it.
  • Artemiris
    Artemiris Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I never eat before 11 and sometimes I don't eat before 13 or 14.

I am also hypoglycemic and I have low blood pressure. I do just fine, I don't feel too hungry nor fatigued. I also stop eating at 17.
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    On weekends I don't eat until 2-4 or so. I just drink tea.
  • MommyL2015
    MommyL2015 Posts: 1,411 Member
    Options
    I'm a natural no-breakfast eater. But I do drink coffee, so that probably takes away any appetite I would have.

I'll have a cup of mid-morning tea sometimes. I'm just not hungry in the morning, but I do eat a larger dinner and leave room for dessert, so I fill up pretty good at night.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    I used to skip breakfast but I was snacking until 10pm or later. Now I don't eat after 7pm most days and I'm starving by 8am.
  • _benjammin
    _benjammin Posts: 1,224 Member
    Options
    Up at 6. Diet soda or 0 cal energy drink on my way to work.
    3 cups of coffee before noon with 1 splenda a 1 tablespoon fat free half and half per cup.
  • _benjammin
    _benjammin Posts: 1,224 Member
    Options
    Artemiris wrote: »

I am also hypoglycemic and I have low blood pressure. I do just fine, I don't feel too hungry nor fatigued. I also stop eating at 17.

First time I've seen someone us Military/24-hour time on MFP, I like it.

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,583 Member
    Options
    Wake up at 5:30am, just water or diet soda, workout, eat after 12:00, some snacking, eat dinner, snack how I feel till 11:30pm. Last night it was raw almonds.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • Saphira291
    Saphira291 Posts: 54 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    For whatever reason I've never really been hungry in the mornings. I get up at 6:30am and usually don't eat until about 12:30pm. Some days I might have like a cereal bar, but most times I don't eat at all in the morning. I've always had a really strange appetite though, a lot of times one big meal leaves me full for a whole day and I don't need to eat again (yes I know this sounds bad, but it's just the way my body acts sometimes). Dinner is usually around 5:30 or 6pm for me.
  • Artemiris
    Artemiris Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    _benjammin wrote: »

I feel it's easier to discuss different times of the day when using a 24 hours clock. Or maybe it's simply because in Europe we are used to it. Hope it's not confusing.
  • debsdoingthis
    debsdoingthis Posts: 454 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    I'm rarely hungry in the morning. I'm up at 6 and only have coffee (2 at the most) before 11. Lunch happens around 2pm and I have a snack around 4. Dinner 7ish. I don't eat after 8 pm, but only because if I eat too close to bedtime, I don't sleep well. If your body is hungry in the morning...Eat
  • The_Weaze
    The_Weaze Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    Wake up at whatever brutal hour the kids decide (usually between 5-6am) then I drink tea and water until I break my fast at 10am. Dinner is at 5:45 and I don't eat after that usually.
  • keefmac
    keefmac Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I don't normally eat until 1pm, a mug of tea in the morning is "breakfast".
  • BuccaneersFan
    BuccaneersFan Posts: 36 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    I get up at 5:15am and eat about meal 1 at 12:00 Mon-Fri, Sat & Sun I may eat as early as 11:00. Meal 2 is between 4:30 and 7:00, but I try to never eat after 7:00. So my fasting/feasting schedule ranges between 18/6 and 19/5. I only drink water when I'm fasting, but many people like coffee because it's an appetite suppressant.

I consume about 20% of my daily calories for meal 1 and the remaining 80% for meal 2 Mon-Fri and then 35% for meal 1 and 65% for meal 2 on Sat & Sun. It's much easier to restrict what I eat when I'm at work Mon-Frie because I only eat what I bring and there isn't a refrigerator and pantry full of food at my office to temp me.

A good website to read about the benefits of Intermittent Fasting is leangains.com. The guy who runs the site is a body builder and maintains a single digit body fat percentage year round using Intermittent Fasting. He explains why the old adage of "breakfast is the most important meal" is a bunch of crap. He's actually a proponent of lifting while in a fasted state, I usually don't do that because of my schedule, but when I can, I do, and I've seen no ill effects.

Do I get hungry when I'm fasting, sure sometimes, but not too often. It's just mind over matter... but it does help to stay away from the aroma of food and avoid looking at it as well.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Just water?
    Curious - not bashing.

I like breakfast currently, but I used to not eat it (I would drink black coffee), and a lot of people (including me when I'm out of the habit) just aren't hungry in the morning.

Given that humans probably evolved during periods in which we may have gone without food for longer periods, and simply eaten when food was available, I don't see not eating until noon as "that long without any food." I don't fast regularly but I do on occasion for religious reasons and it's not a serious hardship.

Obviously if you have hypoglycemia it might not be something that works for you at all, but it's really no big deal.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    Just water?
    Curious - not bashing.
    On those days, I get up and I don't eat until lunch or whenever. Dinner is probably around 6:00 PM depending on traffic and activities.

I can easily go six hours without eating if that's what I want to do.

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    _benjammin wrote: »

I feel it's easier to discuss different times of the day when using a 24 hours clock. Or maybe it's simply because in Europe we are used to it. Hope it's not confusing.

I like it.
  • Nuke_64
    Nuke_64 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    I was a non-breakfast eater and then encouraged by incorrect dieting advise that I need to eat it and I forced myself. So now after many years, my body expects it, especially on work days. Since I don't particularly like breakfast foods and have found some foods eaten too early give me heartburn, I now just listen to my body. I get up at 5:30 weekdays and typically eat breakfast around 7:30, when I feel hungry. On the weekend, get up between 7 and 8, have coffee, and I don't eat until I feel hungry, typically 10-11.