Christmas!

Options
Hello every one :]

It's almost that time of year again (I personally can't WAIT!). Now in my family, we go hard for Christmas in every respect. We absolutely love, love, love it and we eat, eat, eat! "Breaking Bread" together on Christmas day is a vital factor for the PinkPixie family and although I'm quite a bit lighter than I was last year - I don't intend on changing my delicious tradition! There are all sorts of threads popping up about 'how to deal with the festive season whilst tracking' and whilst I think it's fantastic that we are still aiming to be accountable and sensible regardless of the holidays, I do think there are ways to 'handle' Christmas that don't necessarily mean we are sitting with our phones logging every roast potato!

I'm not for one minute saying "Forget it, let's just lay in front of the TV, watching films and eating all December!". In an ideal world, sure - that sounds WONDERFUL. But for the majority of lovely MFP members, it isn't really an option (unless we want to see our hard work undone!). But I'm going to go against the grain here and raise my hand and personally say - I will not be tracking on Christmas Day.

Why? Because I'm just as entitled to a fulfilling, indulgent, Wine drinking, chocolate scoffing, turkey filled Christmas day as the non-dieters out there. This type of attitude isn't for the easily de-motivated, I agree - There are many members that struggle with staying focused and it can be very, very easy for people to put down the trackers for Christmas and then never pick them up again! This isn't my intention at all. Without regular tracking, I gain weight. It really is as simple and as straight-forward as that for me, so I make the choice to keep this up. But this is Christmas. This is my one day out of the entire year where I can raise a glass with my family and celebrate a holiday that means so much to us.

Realistically - given that Christmas is followed by new year which is then followed by my birthday two days later - I'm sure I'll gain a pound or two (I'm only human!) and as I am now maintaining, I will aim for a very small deficit a few weeks after the festivities for 'insurance purposes' ;)

But know this - allowing yourself those Christmas treats does NOT mean you are falling off the wagon. You are not 'binge eating'. You are not failing. And you are TOTALLY entitled. Enjoy the day, enjoy your family, enjoy! And look to a new year full of fantastic successes and ongoing determination! :)

Replies

• yesimpson
    yesimpson Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    I love Christmas. I eat like a fat *kitten* for three days, then get back to normal.
  • samgamgee
    samgamgee Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    Love this post! I might log a vague estimate on the day depending on how I feel, more out of interest than anything (see if I'm anywhere near the 7000 calories in one day figure that gets thrown around a lot), but I certainly won't be worrying about limiting those numbers :smile:
  • PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    samgamgee wrote: »
    Love this post! I might log a vague estimate on the day depending on how I feel, more out of interest than anything (see if I'm anywhere near the 7000 calories in one day figure that gets thrown around a lot), but I certainly won't be worrying about limiting those numbers :smile:

If we can't break the 'rules' on Christmas day, I don't want to live on this planet anymore! ;)
    Sure - it's definitely good to always remain aware, I think it's good practice to 'keep an eye'. I generally know when I'm full and I stop eating at that point! But I'm definitely not going to beat myself up and I vow to enjoy the season as much as possible!
  • JustMissTracy
    JustMissTracy Posts: 6,339 Member
    Options
    Like above, I'll probably log loosely...but chances are my numbers will still be around the same as usual, as I haven't really changed much with my eating, other than the foods that go in...And if I go over, no big dealio...lots of days left in my life to eat at a deficit...lol
  • MommyL2015
    MommyL2015 Posts: 1,411 Member
    Options
    One thing that I have given up since I made the decision to lose weight was to stop baking. I LOVE baking and I especially love it at Christmastime, so that's my present to myself, to bake stuff and then eat it.

So if I can't bake and eat my goodies at Christmas, I don't want to live on this planet anymore, either. :) There's no way I can bake all my delicious treats and then just watch everyone else enjoy them! I get to see my extended family once a year, and that time is over Christmas through New Years, so while I'll be mindful most days, Christmas Eve and Christmas day are off limits to anything with the word "diet" attached. Unless it's used in this sentence: "Today, my diet consists of cake, cookies and fudge. And a glazed spiral Ham. And maybe some Kahlua--no, definitely some Kahlua."
  • MrsCaitlinBeltran
    MrsCaitlinBeltran Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Hello every one :]

It's almost that time of year again (I personally can't WAIT!). Now in my family, we go hard for Christmas in every respect. We absolutely love, love, love it and we eat, eat, eat! "Breaking Bread" together on Christmas day is a vital factor for the PinkPixie family and although I'm quite a bit lighter than I was last year - I don't intend on changing my delicious tradition! There are all sorts of threads popping up about 'how to deal with the festive season whilst tracking' and whilst I think it's fantastic that we are still aiming to be accountable and sensible regardless of the holidays, I do think there are ways to 'handle' Christmas that don't necessarily mean we are sitting with our phones logging every roast potato!

I'm not for one minute saying "Forget it, let's just lay in front of the TV, watching films and eating all December!". In an ideal world, sure - that sounds WONDERFUL. But for the majority of lovely MFP members, it isn't really an option (unless we want to see our hard work undone!). But I'm going to go against the grain here and raise my hand and personally say - I will not be tracking on Christmas Day.

Why? Because I'm just as entitled to a fulfilling, indulgent, Wine drinking, chocolate scoffing, turkey filled Christmas day as the non-dieters out there. This type of attitude isn't for the easily de-motivated, I agree - There are many members that struggle with staying focused and it can be very, very easy for people to put down the trackers for Christmas and then never pick them up again! This isn't my intention at all. Without regular tracking, I gain weight. It really is as simple and as straight-forward as that for me, so I make the choice to keep this up. But this is Christmas. This is my one day out of the entire year where I can raise a glass with my family and celebrate a holiday that means so much to us.

Realistically - given that Christmas is followed by new year which is then followed by my birthday two days later - I'm sure I'll gain a pound or two (I'm only human!) and as I am now maintaining, I will aim for a very small deficit a few weeks after the festivities for 'insurance purposes' ;)

But know this - allowing yourself those Christmas treats does NOT mean you are falling off the wagon. You are not 'binge eating'. You are not failing. And you are TOTALLY entitled. Enjoy the day, enjoy your family, enjoy! And look to a new year full of fantastic successes and ongoing determination! :)

Thanks for this post! I've been agonizing over the upcoming holidays and thinking I should somewhat deprive myself of a big, yummy meal. But, after reading this, I've decided that would be terribly dumb on my part and I should be able to celebrate for ONE day. Thank you, PinkPixie
  • vivmom2014
    vivmom2014 Posts: 1,647 Member
    Options
    I'm not for one minute saying "Forget it, let's just lay in front of the TV, watching films and eating all December!". In an ideal world, sure - that sounds WONDERFUL.

Yes it does sound wonderful. Please can't we do that? Please? :)

(Great post to keep things/holidays in perspective! Enjoy!)

• Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    I won't fret over Christmas or Thanksgiving or other holidays. For 40 years I didn't diet on holidays and was not overweight, so it doesn't seem like a big deal to me.

It makes me a little sad to read the posts where people are dreading the holidays because of food. Food shouldn't be an enemy.
  • sudmom
    sudmom Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Pushing the LIKE button on your post! Merry Christmas! :)
  • lyndefisher
    lyndefisher Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I am going to be a little more on the conservative side - not just because of the weight but more the health. I have found if I eat the wrong foods or overeat, then I don't feel good. So my motivation will be "how will I feel after I eat that?" Doesn't mean I won't enjoy the holidays but I'm going to focus more on the holidays and family and less on the 'food for for the holidays'.
  • freesiasun5
    freesiasun5 Posts: 3,122 Member
    Options
    Like! Last year I didn't log at all the weeks of Christmas and New Years. On the 2 holidays I did whatever I wanted, and the rest of the days I was semi conscious of what I was eating. I came out unscathed. And enjoyed myself.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    My rules for the holiday season are pretty simple...

1 - don't treat the entire season as a reason to go nuts...i have a good time and attend a few parties, etc...but i don't run off the rails eating every little thing that gets brought to work everyday, etc
    2 - maintain regular exercise
    3 - feast on the feast days...that's what they're for
    4 - over the winter i usually put on 5-10...it's ok...winter is when i really make sure i'm hitting the weight room so that when spring rolls around and I start hitting the road on my bike again, i end up leaner than ever when i drop back down to 180.
    5 - i take the long view.
  • MarziPanda95
    MarziPanda95 Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    I'll probably just quick log like 3000 calories for Christmas day and boxing day and eat what I want those two days. I am really hopeful that I'll be at goal weight by Christmas anyway, so I'll stick to maintenance for most of december then create a small deficit after boxing day to make up for it. If I haven't reached goal weight by Christmas... eh, I'll just go back to normal deficit after. New Year's Eve I will also probably quick log a load of calories and then make up for it after.
    I'm not going to let a diet get in the way of enjoyment! It's got to be sustainable. A way of eating that I can keep up for the rest of my life. I'm not going to restrict myself on Christmas day for the rest of my life, so I'm not going to do it now.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I won't fret over Christmas or Thanksgiving or other holidays. For 40 years I didn't diet on holidays and was not overweight, so it doesn't seem like a big deal to me.

It makes me a little sad to read the posts where people are dreading the holidays because of food. Food shouldn't be an enemy.

Totally agree with this.
  • fishshark
    fishshark Posts: 1,886 Member
    Options
    I agree... thanksgiving and christmas mean so much to me that I refuse to hold back haha. especially on the booze. yay booze!
  • bri170lb
    bri170lb Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    I have taken a couple of holiday days this year and a funny thing happened the last time, on my birthday.

I had 2 eggs wth peppers and onions for breakfast, and then later, I remembered that I meant to have 3 eggs with cheese, sausage, and toast. The same thing kept happening all day! By the end of the day, it was so funny, I just couldn't help but laugh. I even forgot to eat the chocolate bar I bought especially for the occasion!

I plan to try much harder at Chrismas and not make the same horrible mistakes!

• Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

Totally agree with this.

Me too!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Same here. I usually still log, but I don't care if I go over. Last year I ate so much on Christmas day that I couldn't eat more than 450 calories the next day, so I guess it evened out... lol.
  • DisneyDude85
    DisneyDude85 Posts: 428 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    My family is pretty active on the holidays. Between playing football during the day, and helping in the kitchen, I figure I burn quite a few calories before I sit down for dinner! But I agree, Christmas is a day for breaking rules. And I won't feel bad for indulging in a delicious dinner :)
  • Carnhot
    Carnhot Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    I am planning to build myself a buffer so I can go over at Christmas. I have already started banking.