Ladies: Do you consider your pregnancy weight your starting weight?

Options
I've been counting my highest weight as my highest non pregnancy weight. I'm just curious what other people go by.

Replies

• IdLikeToLoseItLoseIt
    Options
    Highest non-pregnant weight for me!
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    If I started losing weight immediately following a pregnancy I would count the weight I was at when I got home from the hospital. Unfortunately, I waiting nearly 6.5 years to get serious about losing the weight after having my daughter. I just count the weight I was on the morning of the first day when I started trying to lose it.
  • krithsai
    krithsai Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    I consider the weight I was after I got home, which was the same as when I got started.
  • ponycyndi
    ponycyndi Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    First weigh in after the baby was born. I was already overweight when I got pg.
  • Linzon
    Linzon Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    For me it was my weight a few months postpartum since that's where I was stuck for years.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    I use my highest non-pregnancy weight. It happens to be much higher than my highest weight when I was pregnant, sadly.

If you've recently had a baby and want to count how much weight you've lost, I'd go with the post-pregnancy weight. While you do work hard to lose the weight of the baby itself, giving birth isn't technically part of the diet.

But you can count the baby, if you want. :)
  • marieamethyst
    marieamethyst Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    I use my highest non-pregnancy weight. With my first the 14 lbs I gained with her was gone by the end of the first week post birth, so it didn't make any sense to me to count that with the actual weight that I've lost.
  • galprincess
    galprincess Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    Weigh on start date use that
  • CoffeeNCardio
    CoffeeNCardio Posts: 1,847 Member
    Options
    My highest weight was 186 during pregnancy, and then 176 two years later (ugh) so when I started using MFP, I went by 176, cause that's what I was. I dunno if I would have done it differently if I started this when I had JUST had my son, but I think what's most important is to log your weight accurately on MFP so your calories and exercise are tallied accurately. Who cares what your "I've lost..." number is if you never get around to losing it?
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    Pre-pregnancy.

Though to be fair, I was losing weight before pregnancy.
  • curlyslim
    curlyslim Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I go by the weight when i made a decision to lose weight, which for me was 6 weeks post partum and 205lbs. My highest pregnancy weight was 225lb- no way am I going to count that! Hehe.

• MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    Oh ... that's interesting.

Might depend on when you had the baby. Since mine are in their 20's, it's all me now !!!
  • antennachick
    antennachick Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    I wont consider it my pregnancy wieght because you lose around 10 pounds at birth due to baby and fluids (then you gain it back in breast milk lol)...so honestly it wont make sense to record your pregnancy weight.
  • schelly81
    schelly81 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    That's what I thought! Ive been going by my highest non pregnancy weight all along but I know some of my friends go by their pregnancy weight. I always considered it kind of like cheating.
  • mathjulz
    mathjulz Posts: 5,514 Member
    Options
    I used post-pregnancy weight. I can't remember now if it was 6 weeks or more like 3 months after ... but it was definitely enough after to not include the fluids and such that you lose in the first few weeks (I had an 8 pound baby and lost less than 10 pounds by a week after, because they give you so many fluids! Plus it takes a few weeks for blood volume and uterus size to go down).