Thigh pain from squats and leg work outs :-( Help!!

Options
2»

Replies

• Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    Probably a simple case of doing too much too soon. There is only one fix for that.
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Sam_I_Am77 Posts: 2,093 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    SueInAz wrote: »
    Are you working out every single day or allowing yourself at least one rest day each week?

I don't get much soreness from lifting or running anymore but when I was younger and doing gymnastics and karate regularly I was regularly finding myself sore the next day and even more sore the day after. The third day it would be gone. I found that doing some light stretching immediately after the activity and then again on the next day really helped to alleviate some of it. There's also nothing wrong with taking some ibuprofen which really helps with muscle aches.

Ibuprofen isn't really recommended for relief of DOMS. DOMS is caused by tears in the muscle tissue, which is the natural process of getting stronger and building muscle. Inflammation is the body's natural healing response. Taking an anti-inflammatory interferes with this process and can be detrimental to the time it takes the healing to occur.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23013520

"Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) are routinely prescribed post-exercise to alleviate these symptoms and restore normal physical function. Of potential concern for those who use NSAIDs to treat EIMD is the possibility that they may impair the adaptive response to exercise. Specifically, there is emerging evidence that the action of cyclo-oxygenase (COX) enzymes, and COX-2 in particular, are important and even necessary to achieve maximal skeletal muscle hypertrophy in response to functional overload. Given that NSAIDs exert their actions by blocking COX and thus suppressing prostaglandin production, a theoretical rationale exists whereby these drugs may have detrimental effects on muscle regeneration and supercompensation."

and

http://www.medpagetoday.com/MeetingCoverage/EULAR/33193

"Overall, the findings imply "that the inflammatory reaction following muscle injury is essential for recovery," Rother and colleagues indicated in their poster presentation.
    "Since the effect of celecoxib ... was only modest, usage of NSAIDs for the treatment of exercise induced muscle soreness cannot be supported," they concluded."

This is definitely a debated topic and I'ld like to see the references the meta-analyses are pointing too. If you look on the right side of the first post there's a study indicating that NSAID's have no affect on MPS. I have yet to see anything absolute that says do or don't take NSAID's. Just in my opinion I think it's one of those things that if you take a small dosage and you feel it helps you get through then do it, but don't do it just for the sake of doing it or if you can just manage the soreness without; use caution when consuming any kind of medication.
  • Jesusjohnjames
    Jesusjohnjames Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    But MSM problem solved!!!
  • beachhouse758
    beachhouse758 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    Sam_I_Am77 wrote: »
    Are you working out every single day or allowing yourself at least one rest day each week?

I don't get much soreness from lifting or running anymore but when I was younger and doing gymnastics and karate regularly I was regularly finding myself sore the next day and even more sore the day after. The third day it would be gone. I found that doing some light stretching immediately after the activity and then again on the next day really helped to alleviate some of it. There's also nothing wrong with taking some ibuprofen which really helps with muscle aches.

Ibuprofen isn't really recommended for relief of DOMS. DOMS is caused by tears in the muscle tissue, which is the natural process of getting stronger and building muscle. Inflammation is the body's natural healing response. Taking an anti-inflammatory interferes with this process and can be detrimental to the time it takes the healing to occur.

"Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) are routinely prescribed post-exercise to alleviate these symptoms and restore normal physical function. Of potential concern for those who use NSAIDs to treat EIMD is the possibility that they may impair the adaptive response to exercise. Specifically, there is emerging evidence that the action of cyclo-oxygenase (COX) enzymes, and COX-2 in particular, are important and even necessary to achieve maximal skeletal muscle hypertrophy in response to functional overload. Given that NSAIDs exert their actions by blocking COX and thus suppressing prostaglandin production, a theoretical rationale exists whereby these drugs may have detrimental effects on muscle regeneration and supercompensation."

and

"Overall, the findings imply "that the inflammatory reaction following muscle injury is essential for recovery," Rother and colleagues indicated in their poster presentation.
    "Since the effect of celecoxib ... was only modest, usage of NSAIDs for the treatment of exercise induced muscle soreness cannot be supported," they concluded."

This is definitely a debated topic and I'ld like to see the references the meta-analyses are pointing too. If you look on the right side of the first post there's a study indicating that NSAID's have no affect on MPS. I have yet to see anything absolute that says do or don't take NSAID's. Just in my opinion I think it's one of those things that if you take a small dosage and you feel it helps you get through then do it, but don't do it just for the sake of doing it or if you can just manage the soreness without; use caution when consuming any kind of medication.

Do you all know whether this applies to natural antiinflammatories like Turmeric?
  • beachhouse758
    beachhouse758 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    to OP: Walking (despite the soreness) helps, also Epsom salt bath: Dt. Teal's brand has a variety marketed to athletes that has essential oils to help.
    Also, foam rolling after weights and the day after helps me.
  • Jesslynn3282
    Jesslynn3282 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    to OP: Walking (despite the soreness) helps, also Epsom salt bath: Dt. Teal's brand has a variety marketed to athletes that has essential oils to help.
    Also, foam rolling after weights and the day after helps me.

Thanks , I'll check it out!
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Sam_I_Am77 Posts: 2,093 Member
    Options
    Sam_I_Am77 wrote: »

and

Do you all know whether this applies to natural antiinflammatories like Turmeric?

I do not know much about Turmeric's side-effects. My uncle did some graduate work that had something to do with nutrition and pharmacology and he's a big believer in Tumeric. He gave-up taking NSAID's completely and just uses Tumeric. I would say that Turmeric probably has less negative side-effects than NSAID's because it's a natural but that's not always true of course.
  • hill8570
    hill8570 Posts: 1,466 Member
    Options
    this is a new program , so I am pretty sure it's because I am not use to it yet. I just know in the past I've had the same thing happen with a personal trainer and I didn't work out for a week straight because the pain was so bad. I just hate to do all that hard work then fall off the work out plan because of pain from the hard work out.

Yup. For future reference, when you start a new workout routine, ramp it up over a period of a week or two. No extra health benefit for suffering. A little bit of DOMS is OK and normal. A lot just gets in the way of making progress.

Hang in there, work out a little slower for the next few days. Next week will be better.
  • Jesslynn3282
    Options
    [/quote]

Yup. For future reference, when you start a new workout routine, ramp it up over a period of a week or two. No extra health benefit for suffering. A little bit of DOMS is OK and normal. A lot just gets in the way of making progress.

Hang in there, work out a little slower for the next few days. Next week will be better.[/quote]

Thanks Hill!
  • CristalSCarter
    CristalSCarter Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Thanks Cristal! I hope your pain gets better as well ! I'm hoping that the more often I do these the stronger my legs will get and there will be less pain...but I see a lot of people who have done leg work outs faithfully and still feel the pain boo :-(

You're welcome, and don't worry..... I haven't been to the gym in a week either lol I plan on training my legs to be stronger so I can endure the workout and eating better especially on leg day to help tolerate the workout :smile:
  • ecjim
    ecjim Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    Jess - I found you
    You are welcome Jess - If you are just starting out squatting keep it up and gradually add weight & reps. What program are you using? sets/reps/ weight? How often? Squats should be the #1 exercise in a program - Eastcoast Jim

[/quote]

I'm using the Leslie Sansone walk it off in 30 day program. They have 3 DVDs the first 2 days the dvds focused on Burning .....then yesterday I did the firming video which was lunges and squats with dumbbell's in each hand. It was a good work out. Not all just walking like I thought :-) but I definitely am loving it! every 7 days I get a rest day. They seem to mix things up with 2 mile -5 mile walks then the Burn and Firm DVDs to change up from just walking. ~Jess[/quote]

Jess - I found it on the internet - That looks like a good program to start with - just keep your weight & reps so you feel a little sore but not painful. Maybe after a month or 2 you might want to start a regular weight training program - Eastcoast Jim
  • Jesslynn3282
    Options
    ecjim wrote: »
    Jess - I found you
    You are welcome Jess - If you are just starting out squatting keep it up and gradually add weight & reps. What program are you using? sets/reps/ weight? How often? Squats should be the #1 exercise in a program - Eastcoast Jim

I'm using the Leslie Sansone walk it off in 30 day program. They have 3 DVDs the first 2 days the dvds focused on Burning .....then yesterday I did the firming video which was lunges and squats with dumbbell's in each hand. It was a good work out. Not all just walking like I thought :-) but I definitely am loving it! every 7 days I get a rest day. They seem to mix things up with 2 mile -5 mile walks then the Burn and Firm DVDs to change up from just walking. ~Jess[/quote]

Jess - I found it on the internet - That looks like a good program to start with - just keep your weight & reps so you feel a little sore but not painful. Maybe after a month or 2 you might want to start a regular weight training program - Eastcoast Jim[/quote]

Thanks for the tips Jim! I do tend to rush myself to catch up to the people in the dvd haha....maybe I should stick to my own pace for the first week and then it'll come a little bit easier and less painful
  • ecjim
    ecjim Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    That makes sense -- They've been doing it longer then you - listen to your body - Eastcoast Jim
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,668 Member
    Options
    Soreness reduces when you're consistent.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png