Boxing

Options
Any females take up boxing ? Just curious about it and your outcome . Thanks
Becky

Replies

• VegasFit
    VegasFit Posts: 1,232 Member
    Options
    I take class twice a week. I really like it because it's challenging not only physically but mentally.
  • beachhouse758
    beachhouse758 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    When I was at my fittest, I was doing Muay Thai (Thai Kickboxing) twice a week, Brazilian Jiu Jitsu twice a week and (mma) conditioning twice a week.

I found out early on that I DO NOT like getting hit on the head (by a punch or kick.( It sucks. So I moved on to conditioning with a trainer (where I hit the pads or the heavy bag) and no one hits me in the head (much better)

I was in the best shape ever. But it was intense! Like sick to my stomach intensity. I learned a lot as a person because it made me committed and more assertive AND I had a baby-four pack!!!!
    It was also great mentally bc I was one of the very few females at that training gym, so I had to overcome a lot of mental hurdles during the couple of years I went there.

And I also learned that Muay Thai in a training gym is worlds apart from any kickboxing classes that I've seen at a chain gym. Worlds apart!
    Not putting any sport down, just different things completely.
  • Sweet_Heresy
    Sweet_Heresy Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    I also train Muay Thai and BJJ (there's actually quite a few women where I train. Back when I started I was usually the only one), and I definitely second that there is a HUGE difference between muay thai and cardio kickboxing.

Muay thai is intense, and ironically probably a better cardio workout.
  • beckyszajna
    beckyszajna Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Well I had my free " trial" class yesterday morning. It was totally intense. But worth it. I think I'm going to take it up. And all I really want to do is just hit the bag and lose the weight ( gain muscle too) not really interested in a specific. I'm also doing this as a therapeutic thing . Need to learn some self control I guess. Thanks guys !
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,708 Member
    Options
    As an instructor for boxing for fitness and a student of Muay Thai, they are world's apart. Muay Thai being so much more intense and explosive. However if one is using boxing to get into decent fitness conditioning and wanting to burn a lot of calories, then cardio boxing (with gloves and a bag) is good too. The cardio kickboxing classes I used to teach were fun (no gloves or bags), but I was never wiped out like I was when hitting a bag.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • Naomijreyes
    Naomijreyes Posts: 3 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Bumping this thread. Just happy to see some other martial artist ladies here! I've been boxing on and off the last 1.5 years, but now I want to commit. Also found the appeal of BJJ this past summer!