calories

Ok i just want to make sure i reach my weight and want to up my calories. Do you do 100 to 200 a week until you see whats good for you. Thanks

Replies

• LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    You mean you want to be sure you stay the same weight? if so yes you can up your cals by a few hundred cals, it takes several weeks to see if real gain happens I find. When we increase our cals to full maintenance calories in one go it can cause a gain but thats mostly water weight from glycogen stores being replenished with water when they get extra calories - its temporary.
    The idea is if you up the calories slowly then that increase on the scale doesn't happen.
  • chrisfuentes2005
    chrisfuentes2005 Posts: 295 Member
    You mean you want to be sure you stay the same weight? if so yes you can up your cals by a few hundred cals, it takes several weeks to see if real gain happens I find. When we increase our cals to full maintenance calories in one go it can cause a gain but thats mostly water weight from glycogen stores being replenished with water when they get extra calories - its temporary.
    The idea is if you up the calories slowly then that increase on the scale doesn't happen.

Yes stay the same weight
  • M30834134
    M30834134 Posts: 411 Member
    Once I reached my goal, I upped my calories by 100 every week until I stopped losing and consider the pounds I lost in transition as my upper buffer.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    NO, 100 a week? That's almost unmeasureable.

A hundred calories extra a DAY for a week. Standard 1 pound a week loss is a 500 calorie/day deficit. If you are at weight and want to stop losing, you add 100 calories a DAY for a week and see where you are. Keep that up (until you got to a 0 calorie deficit) and that is your maintenance calories.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    if you've been losing weight, you should know your average rate of loss...from there, you just do the math.
  • M30834134
    Yup, I upped by 100 per WEEK - it only took me 5 weeks to get to my maintenance.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    edited October 2015
    100 calories per week is 100/7 calories per day. You must have the most sensitive body in the world.

Maybe I'm just fussy about grammar. Every week you upped 100 calories/day. So week 1 was 1400. Week 2 1500. Week 3 1600 . . . .
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,731 Member
    nxd10 wrote: »
    100 calories per week is 100/7 calories per day. You must have the most sensitive body in the world.

Wut? I think you misunderstood. He means the goal was increased by 100 calories each week. So this week, I would be eating 100 calories more EVERY DAY than I did last week...for a week. Then next week, I would increase the goal by another 100 calories, and eat those extra 100 calories every day.

When we talk about a 500 calorie deficit, we aren't talking about a weekly deficit, it's a daily deficit, so I'm not sure where the confusion is coming from in the same concept in reverse...increase your daily goal by 100 once per week. Does that make sense?

• M30834134

Maybe I'm just fussy about grammar. Every week you upped 100 calories/day. So week 1 was 1400. Week 2 1500. Week 3 1600 . . . .

Yes, it appears that we have misudnestoot each other - I upped each day by 100 for a week, then by another 100 each day for the next week and so on - so weekly increases by 100 :smile:
  • chrisfuentes2005
    chrisfuentes2005 Posts: 295 Member
    MasterVal wrote: »

Yes, it appears that we have misudnestoot each other - I upped each day by 100 for a week, then by another 100 each day for the next week and so on - so weekly increases by 100 :smile:

Do you eat back your calories when Maintaining
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,294 Member
    MasterVal wrote: »

If you are eating at maintenance and follow MFP's caloric intake then you would have to eat exercise cals or you would lose weight. If you use TDEE then your exercise cals are already included in your daily goal just averaged out for the week.
  • M30834134
    edited October 2015

It depends if you use TDEE (Total Daily Energy Expenditure) method or NEAT (Non-Exercise Activity Thermogenesis) for your daily budget - TDEE already includes all the activities, so, no eating back of exercise calories; NEAT, on the other head does not include exercise calories, so you may eat them back.

The important question is how many of those exercise calories ok to eat? Exercise calories are frequently overestimated by all gym equipment, MFP database, and even HR monitors. Furthermore, steady cardio activities could be generally accurately estimated by HR monitors, but weightlifting is a complete guess game. Also, many miss the point of gross vs net exercise calories. Assuming my HR monitor shows that I've burned 500 calories in 1.5 hours at the gym -is 500 safe to eat? What if I did not go to the gym - my body still would've burned BMR/24 * 1.5 calories. So, those resting calories has to be deducted from 500.

That being said, I've always eaten around 50% my exercise calories from my HR monitor because my workout schedule is frequently changing and I use NEAT. I've eaten my exercise calories while I lost weight and doing it now while in maintenance.