Food before workout?

Options
Samm471
Samm471 Posts: 432 Member
okay three days out of five I go to the gym early I'm up for 4am and in the gym for 5am ( other days I go after work and have eaten something about an hour beforehand) I lift weights (strength training) but because it's so early in the morning I don't eat anything till I've finished my workout ( I normally have oatmeal and a protein shake) I just wondered if I should be eating before lifting? Like a protein shake before or a banana or something? Or is it ok to lift fasted? If I do cardio in the morning I normally have a banana just because I had read about it being a bad idea to do fasted cardio .. It said you may think after carbs your body will use fat for energy but that's incorrect after a couple of hours your body will look at your muscles for energy instead. ( dunno how true or whatever it is) but anyway yeah should I be eating something before lifting? Thanks :)

Replies

• juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    Yes it's fine to lift fasted....and it's fine to eat before.

Whatever you prefer. The effect on fat burning (if there even is one) is too minimal to be of consequence.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Yea, personal preference. I ran almost exclusively fasted because I was not about to get up any earlier & running with anything in my stomach made me sick.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    Personal preference. If you want to eat before lifting or cardio, do it. If you don't want to eat before lifting or cardio, don't do it.
  • Samm471
    Options
    Okay fellas thank you ☺️
  • Meganthedogmom
    Meganthedogmom Posts: 1,639 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Sometimes I'm hungry before working out, so I'll have a little something. Most of the time I'm not hungry, so I don't eat beforehand. BUT there have been a couple times when I've had a normal breakfast about an hour or so beforehand, and I did feel like I got a better workout - had more energy, pushed myself more, etc.
  • Samm471
    Options
    Thanks girls .. I was just curious as to wether it was essential to eat before working out because you hear so much stuff
  • Bry_Fitness70
    Bry_Fitness70 Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    For my 5am strength training, I always do a bowl of oatmeal and a Quest bar before hand, then a protein shake and yogurt spiked with protein powder afterwards.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    Samm471 wrote: »
    Thanks girls .. I was just curious as to wether it was essential to eat before working out because you hear so much stuff

Some of that stuff is bro-science. The information with science backing it will only really help top athletes gain a small edge in their sport.
  • Samm471
    Options
    bw_conway wrote: »
    For my 5am strength training, I always do a bowl of oatmeal and a Quest bar before hand, then a protein shake and yogurt spiked with protein powder afterwards.

Cool! I don't know if I could eat so early on .. If I had to then maybe a banana or a shake it sounds like you have good food before and after your workouts :)
  • Samm471
    Options
    usmcmp wrote: »
    Samm471 wrote: »

Some of that stuff is bro-science. The information with science backing it will only really help top athletes gain a small edge in their sport.

Aw okay thanks :)