How to record exercise with stroller?

Options
I have a question about logging exercise. Not sure if this is the right board...

I have three kids. I push two of them in a stroller and carry the third in a front pack. If I go for a one hour walk, do I record "Walking, carrying infant or 15-lb load" AND "Pushing or pulling stroller with child" AND "Walking, 3.5mph?" Does it make sense to record all three, or do I just pick one or two?

Replies

• DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    Pick one. Probably the carrying infant one, I'd think. Otherwise you're double- or triple-dipping the core bit of the exercise.
  • CoffeeNCardio
    CoffeeNCardio Posts: 1,847 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Actually, there is an MET for that. Check this out....

http://www.livestrong.com/article/18303-calculate-calories-burned/#page=2

Then check this out....

https://sites.google.com/site/compendiumofphysicalactivities/Activity-Categories

Then acquire a calculator!

Note that every time I use the MET compendia, it comes about equal to calories burned when logged using the exercises available on MFP, but you know if you're worried, the MET compendia actually has an MET score for "walking while pushing a stroller" so maybe it'll be more accurate? worth looking anyway, if only to verify

Edit:spelling
  • sheermomentum
    sheermomentum Posts: 827 Member
    Options
    Pick one. Or, just record it as a walk at whatever pace you are actually maintaining. I suspect the extra calories burned from carrying the baby or pushing the stroller will not be all that high unless you are pushing up a steep hill.
  • Linzon
    Linzon Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I have a FitBit so it just records it as unencumbered walking/jogging.

Also, way to go! I used to push two kids and that was tough, never mind wearing a third!
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    You definitely can't pick all three or even two or you'd be getting far too many calories for what you actually did. If you then eat those extra calories you'd find that you weren't losing weight.

I always believe it's better to err on the side of underestimating exercise calories. You can choose either of those entries or just the plain walking one.
  • pedsgirl06
    pedsgirl06 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I like the MET calculations! I can fudge my way to a better estimate. If I just choose carrying 15 lb load, I think it way underestimates. Especially since I'm actually carrying a 25# load, and pushing 50+!

I definitely do want to underestimate, and don't plan to eat all the calories back. I just want to know how much I can eat when I get back from the walks and feel like eating the entire fridge! I'm just back to tracking, and I do best easing into the calorie restriction. 300 calories burned just seemed like so few.
  • pedsgirl06
    pedsgirl06 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the input!
  • jeepinshawn
    jeepinshawn Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    Similar situation here, I carry a 20lb baby in a wrap and push a single 30lb kid in a stroller. I just go with the fitbit burn, but I used to just go with the MFP calculation for carrying 15lbs. I think there is a minimal difference, and like said I'd rather underestimate then over.