I suck....

Options
I've lost weight in the past. 50lb on WW about 10 years ago. Gained it back after pg. 70 lb on Medifast (giant mistake for me). Gained it back. On and off WW for the past 5 years with no results but haven't really "worked the program". I'm at least 50 pounds overweight. I know what to do but I'm just not doing it. I have a gym membership, workout videos and a recumbent bike at home. I can find the time to workout and plan food and eat healthy. What's my problem?

Anyone been there, done that? What changed?

Reading this I sound pretty apathetic....anyone want to come out and kick my *kitten*?

Replies

• vivmom2014
    vivmom2014 Posts: 1,647 Member
    Options
    No butt kicking needed. All you need to do is eat in a calorie deficit. Get that underway and worry about adding exercise later if it seems overwhelming to do it all at once. Or, don't add it at all.

A calorie deficit -- eating all the foods you enjoy -- is what it takes to lose weight.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    Sounds like most of the plans you've used in the past were meant to be "short term solutions". The great thing about MFP is that logging food teaches you how to fit in things you like while practicing portion control. You'll learn a lot about what your body actually needs as far as calories and this will help you stick to it in the long run. Forget the exercise portion right now and just start logging food. Make sure to weigh your food for accuracy.
  • eissacf25
    eissacf25 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    ardenspark wrote: »
    I've lost weight in the past. 50lb on WW about 10 years ago. Gained it back after pg. 70 lb on Medifast (giant mistake for me). Gained it back. On and off WW for the past 5 years with no results but haven't really "worked the program". I'm at least 50 pounds overweight. I know what to do but I'm just not doing it. I have a gym membership, workout videos and a recumbent bike at home. I can find the time to workout and plan food and eat healthy. What's my problem?

Reading this I sound pretty apathetic....anyone want to come out and kick my *kitten*?

That. You know what to do but you're just not doing it. No one here can help you if you're not doing it for yourself. What I do to get motivation is look at old pictures of when I was in shape, and compare them to what I look like now. I HATE how I look in pictures, my internal health was declining and I am exhausted all the time - so I'm doing something about it. I also need to be healthy for my kids, so they are my daily reminder. I come onto the boards and look through success photos, because that is a HUGE motivator. I usually do that when I'm not in the mood to work out, and then all of a sudden I have this urge to hit the gym and eat a salad lol.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    If I had a penny for every person in your exact situation I'd be a very rich woman. I think most of us were like this in the short time before we finally had our "light switch" moment and got committed to doing what needs to be done.

I think part of the problem might be that you're looking back at all of the times you've done this before and you think you have to jump in the deep end. Instead, take it slowly. Make one change today, just one. Take some time to make that change a habit and then make another small change. Keep adding things organically as you feel the urge to do them.

So for today, just decide to log what you eat. Not to restrict, just to log. Then a few days from now, look at what you've been eating and decide to make a few changes that will make an impact on your calorie total for the day. Maybe a little while later, you can add a walk or two into your day. Park at the back of the parking lot, take the stairs instead of the elevator, etc. Try to make changes that you can see yourself maintaining for the rest of your life. Slow and steady will get you a lot farther than a quick scramble to lose as much weight as possible in the shortest amount of time then to go back to eating like you used to and gain it all back.
  • nordlead2005
    nordlead2005 Posts: 1,303 Member
    Options
    Gym membership, workout videos, recumbent bikes, and "eating healthy" are not required for weight loss. Focus on the one thing that does matter, the calorie deficit, and then expand your health journey from there. Once you are in the groove for having a reasonable deficit expand it to add exercise, better food choices, and anything else that you want to do to improve your health.
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    You clearly know that you can lose weight, but you don't know how to maintain your loss. It's a separate skill set entirely. I don't blame you for being a little apathetic -- I wouldn't want to do all that work again if history told me it wasn't going to stick!

Extreme diets don't tend to work because they don't teach you how to maintain that loss (unless you want to eat WW food forever, which I wouldn't recommend). Logging on MFP will teach you portion control without asking you to adhere to any crazy rules or making you miserable. Take it slow and don't make any changes that you couldn't live with for the rest of your life. That way, the transition from losing weight to maintaining that weight isn't a huge change -- after you finish losing, you keep doing basically what you've been doing all along, just with a few more calories to play with.
  • SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    Options
    I was in the same boat (minus the pregnancy). I knew that I needed to lose weight and I knew what I needed to do. I just couldn't seem to do it.

Then one morning, it just clicked and I decided it was time. It's the proverbial light bulb moment.

Aside from the light bulb, one thing that did help me get going was promising to do it for at least a month. I was going to give it my all for one month and see if I lost any weight. Of course I did and realized that it wasn't as hard to keep going as it was to get started, so I just kept going.
  • mysteps2beauty
    mysteps2beauty Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    You're just not uncomfortable enough. If you were uncomfortable, you would change what you are doing. When you get that call from the doctor asking you to come back in, suddenly life gets real and you are begging for the chance to undo all the damage you have done to yourself (nobody did it to you, you did it yourself). You keep buying all of this stuff so you can say you tried, but really you haven't at least not lately.

I lost 45 lbs on WW 10 years ago. I started gaining weight one week on maintenance....now I'm 85 lbs over my "normal" weight. What the heck was I waiting on??? I have no money to buy new clothes, so I was wearing the same 3 sets of pants, and before I joined MFP 19 days ago, I was about to outgrow those too. So, yeah life was starting to get uncomfortable.

I have shed 7 lbs to date, and my body doesn't hurt anymore when I get out of bed, get out of the car, walk up the stairs. I actually feel more positive than I have in a long time, cause I get my endorphins notched up because I move! I walk the dogs, I park my car further away.

So stay comfortable and expect to gain more and more weight. You'll come back here kicking yourself for not doing something, however small, when you had the chance.
  • CoffeeNCardio
    CoffeeNCardio Posts: 1,847 Member
    Options
    You have to wait for your light bulb moment. No one can give it to you. It's just something that will happen in a nice clothing store one day when you fall to the ground and start sobbing cause now you can't even hide it anymore.... wait that's MY moment. Yours will come, obviously you're getting close if you're here
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    WE all get the body we want. Which body do YOU WANT? Go get it. If you want it, you gotta work for it.
  • bri170lb
    bri170lb Posts: 1,375 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Motivation:
    the state or condition of being motivated 
    or having a strong reason to act or 
    accomplish something:

Positive thoughts and actions move you forward, negativity moves you backward.

Focus on small victories and start each day moving forward!
  • sarahlifts
    sarahlifts Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    You don't suck. You're human.
    I've been there. I lost 50 lbs by moving more eating less. Had a broken relationship and gained it all back over the span of 3 years.
    I would try again when spring came only manage to get 20 lbs off and once fall arrived I would gain another 25 lbs each year adding a surplus of an additional 5 lbs.

I decided nearly 3 years ago, no more and every day is a battle. There is a dove candy bar in my desk that does not meet my cico for the day. Fight the good fight no self pity or bad talk to your self.

You did it before you can do it again! In a healthy way that you can maintain.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I'm going to suggest a book to help perhaps give you a perspective change.

http://charlesduhigg.com/the-power-of-habit/

And a couple articles,

http://sourcesofinsight.com/the-elephant-and-the-rider/

And a chapter from Haidt's book The Happiness Hypothesis.

http://www.happinesshypothesis.com/happiness-hypothesis-ch1.pdf
  • nancybuss
    nancybuss Posts: 1,461 Member
    Options
    you don't suck! You're human.
    Sit down with yourself and write out your "why" WHY do you want to lose 50 pounds Not 'because I should" but WHY.... then each answer ask why again... go at Least 3-5 rounds. Keep that written down as your motivation.
    We all have the same hours in the day and we're all busy.
    When you find a routine and a workout YOU love and a food plan that works with Your life, you'll do it.
    Then when the bad days happen. they will they do for all of us. Look at that WHY. do if for THAT, do it for YOU
    You Are Worth It.

Find things you love so its a good thing, not a 'diet' - its a new Food Plan. Its not depriving yourself, its finding new, good things that you didn't know you liked.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,966 Member
    Options
    ardenspark wrote: »

The food part is pretty easy for me. But while I love to exercise, I hate starting to exercise. I have to force myself to start, and then I'm fine. I find myself doing Everything But and have to snap out of it.

I set small and attainable goals and put them on the refrigerator.
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    You don't suck. It just doesn't seem you've hit that turning point where you realize change is all you want and you're really committed 110% to working for it. And that's not a bad thing, nor does it reflect poorly on you. Most people have a lot going on and it takes that one moment when they hit their limit with being unhealthy and overweight. And that limit varies from person to person. The awareness of the problem is the first step to making change happen. You're on your way! :smile:

Then it needs to be a priority in spite of whatever else is happening in your life. Personally, eating healthy (not required for weight loss) and exercise help me keep on track with the rest of my life. I sleep better, have more energy, fewer aches and pains and can handle stress better. And, I like how I look. I did not before. Bonus! :smiley:
  • ardenspark
    ardenspark Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for taking the time to respond with such thoughtful answers. I really do appreciate it and will look into the books/articles/writing exercises/etc. I also appreciate the kindness. :smile:

I do like the idea of just logging. Not restricting or exercising (not yet). However when I log into MFP, it tells me 1200 calories for my weight (which is in the obese category). This seems low to me. Is there a different method of figuring calories? I'm not used to calorie counting (WW does points).

Thank you again. You'll see me around...
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    vivmom2014 wrote: »
    No butt kicking needed. All you need to do is eat in a calorie deficit. Get that underway and worry about adding exercise later if it seems overwhelming to do it all at once. Or, don't add it at all.

A calorie deficit -- eating all the foods you enjoy -- is what it takes to lose weight.

This.

Calorie deficit is for weight loss, exercise is for fitness. It's perfectly fine to use the two in conjunction, but you must burn more calories than you consume. This means you must be accurate in both your intake and output.

Do you use a food scale? Weigh everything you eat?

Do you count exercise calories and eat them back? If so, where do you get those burns from?

If you open your diary you might get some specific help.
  • ardenspark
    ardenspark Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    SLL - I haven't started logging using MFP yet but I will open it once I get a few days in. I'd love some advice although the first bit will just be baseline really.
  • lpadancer
    lpadancer Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Hi! You said that your calorie intake recommendation was 1200. Do you have your account set for a 2lb/week loss? Lots of people have success losing around 1lb/week (or less!). Remember that you are in this for the long haul and want to establish habits that carry into life after weight loss. If a smaller loss each week is more manageable for you (giving you more calories!), then that is where you should set your account. Weight loss shouldn't feel like a punishment!

Don't forget that a food scale can be your best friend. Weigh your foods to the gram and feel confident in your logging. While weight loss may not be linear (you will have weeks where you stay the same or gain--your overall rate of loss is what matters), it doesn't have to be a mystery! My food scale is a completely empowering tool.