Hrm and fitbit

Options
schnarfo
schnarfo Posts: 764 Member
Hi I already have a polar hrm and find it very useful for tracking exercise however I'm wondering whether I should get a fitbit for tracking calories from daily activities. Anyone use both? Is it worth using both or is this overkill?

Replies

• bert16
    bert16 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    I use both, but it's probably overkill (especially since I don't generally eat back my exercise calories!). I use the HRM with a chest strap during my runs or any other cardio exercise for a more accurate calorie burn and log it here in MFP (making sure to track the time of the exercise); and then I wear the Fitbit One around to monitor steps / flights of stairs for the rest of the day, outside of formal exercise time. For me, the Fitbit data is more trivia than anything; it's mostly just to indicate to me when I need to move my butt a bit more after a lazy day at my desk job. I'm sure others use theirs differently, though, so this is just one woman's opinion!
  • schnarfo
    Options
    Ah ok so is the fitbit just a glorified pedometer? I was hoping for some thing which would give me a more accurate calorie count so that I could make sure I wasn't creating too much or too little deficit for my goals?
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Hi I already have a polar hrm and find it very useful for tracking exercise however I'm wondering whether I should get a fitbit for tracking calories from daily activities. Anyone use both? Is it worth using both or is this overkill?

I use both. Is it overkill? No, not really, because they both excel at different things. Is it necessary? Absolutely not. If you're a numbers junkie like me, then definitely get both. Otherwise you probably don't need to.
  • determined_erin
    determined_erin Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    BodyMedia is the best! I would recommend that device over all others.
  • jacksonpt
    Options
    Ah ok so is the fitbit just a glorified pedometer? I was hoping for some thing which would give me a more accurate calorie count so that I could make sure I wasn't creating too much or too little deficit for my goals?

I'm not sure how pedometers work, but that's probably not far from the truth. Accelerometer-based devices (like the fitbit) are, IME, pretty accurate for non-exercise based calories (regular daily life, if you will), but exercise burns are all over the board.
  • jacksonpt
    Options

Why? I've found my BM Fit to be no different than my FB flex.
  • MissMaryMac33
    MissMaryMac33 Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    I have both a Polar FT60 and a FitBit ONE -- I use both for different reasons.
    The Polar HRM is good for a specific activity -- like going to the gym and doing zumba for an hour.
    FitBit doesn't track things like that -- it keeps a running tally of your entire day -- steps, stairs, calories burned etc.
    FitBit also tracks your sleep which I find very useful.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    It's more than that, because it isn't just calories burned based on pace, but movement in general.
    Pedometers need pace, and distance estimate, to estimate calories burned.

For some, or many, the BodyMedia sensors don't read them well, and it ends up being the same thing as FitBit.

And depending on your exercise, neither may be decent, but for daily activity, both just fine.

FitBit will underestimate daily, because it assumes all non moving time is BMR level burn, but in reality if awake but resting RMR is higher burn.
    BodyMedia can do the same thing if sensors not great on you.
  • StaceyMarie86
    StaceyMarie86 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I have both an HRM and a FitBit - the HRM I use when I'm actually doing exercise (like going for a run, working out at the gym, etc), and I wear the FItBit on a daily basis to get myself up and walking more at work. I've found my HRM to be more accurate with calorie burn, but the FitBit is great for tracking daily mileage. And I love that the FitBit syncs with my phone! I wish my HRM did that, but I have to enter it manually on MFP.
  • ChantalD75
    ChantalD75 Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    I use both... I just recently got a fitbit one and LOVE it... I use my HRM when working out.
  • determined_erin
    determined_erin Posts: 571 Member
    Options

BodyMedia tracks calories burned even when you are sitting, sleeping, or doing dishes. It is meant for daily life, whereas FitBit just tracks active calorie burns.
  • rjbkain
    rjbkain Posts: 9
    Options

I'm not sure how pedometers work, but that's probably not far from the truth. Accelerometer-based devices (like the fitbit) are, IME, pretty accurate for non-exercise based calories (regular daily life, if you will), but exercise burns are all over the board.

Exactly, which is why the HRM is great for that, which you can use for anything that isn't well tracked by a pedometer. I do boot camp and we do lots of intervals and weight lifting. On an interval day the fitbit tells me I was active for about 10 min (when class is 45 min) on a mostly weights day, it says even less, of course, but my heart rate is definitely up there because we still do some running between sets and things like push ups and squats, which can get your heart rate going. Plus I lift fairly heavy weights.

I just ordered an HRM today to compliment the fitbit and to have a more accurate assessment of my boot camp calorie burn.
  • rjbkain
    rjbkain Posts: 9
    Options
    I also like the fact that it tracks your sleep. I went with the One and I really like it.
  • TinaRoberts67
    TinaRoberts67 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I considered the BodyMedia but wasn't thrilled to have to wear something strapped to my arm everyday. Not very pretty for wearing short sleeve business attire.
  • jacksonpt
    Options

Exactly, which is why the HRM is great for that, which you can use for anything that isn't well tracked by a pedometer. I do boot camp and we do lots of intervals and weight lifting. On an interval day the fitbit tells me I was active for about 10 min (when class is 45 min) on a mostly weights day, it says even less, of course, but my heart rate is definitely up there because we still do some running between sets and things like push ups and squats, which can get your heart rate going. Plus I lift fairly heavy weights.

I just ordered an HRM today to compliment the fitbit and to have a more accurate assessment of my boot camp calorie burn.

Just as an FYI, an HRM isn't likely to be very accurate with things like weights and intervals. They are intended for steady state cardio. Intervals aren't steady state, and weights are neither steady state nor cardio.
  • jacksonpt
    Options

BodyMedia tracks calories burned even when you are sitting, sleeping, or doing dishes. It is meant for daily life, whereas FitBit just tracks active calorie burns.

Funny that they both give the same numbers... within 50 or so cals of each other.
  • bert16
    bert16 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    Well, a HRM with a chest strap is definitely the more accurate determination of calorie burn... while you're wearing it, that is. The Fitbit is a simple accelerometer that counts your steps, has an altimeter to determine the number of flights of stairs (some of them do this; not sure if they all do), and can make some estimation of the intensity of your workout, but your accurately measured HR is still a better indicator of burn. That being said, if you don't wear your HRM around all day (I certainly don't!), the Fitbit still provides other meaningful data.

Some people really seem to love theirs and live by it; I just think of it more as trivia and some motivation to move.
  • schnarfo
    Options
    So what's best a fitbit one or a flex? I like he idea of tracking my activity level with one and I'm on the go at work a lot! Well the flex give silly readings if its on my hand? I'm a teacher and tend to sit down but use my hands a lot when I talk or point to stuff? It seems to be less obvious than something clipped to me though?
  • jacksonpt
    Options
    Well, a HRM with a chest strap is definitely the more accurate determination of calorie burn... while you're wearing it, that is. The Fitbit is a simple accelerometer that counts your steps, has an altimeter to determine the number of flights of stairs (some of them do this; not sure if they all do), and can make some estimation of the intensity of your workout, but your accurately measured HR is still a better indicator of burn. That being said, if you don't wear your HRM around all day (I certainly don't!), the Fitbit still provides other meaningful data.

Some people really seem to love theirs and live by it; I just think of it more as trivia and some motivation to move.

Again, just to clarify...

HRMs use HR as the key factor in estimating calorie burn. HR is NOT a reliable determinant for calorie burn, so HRMs will always be flawed (more or less so depending on the equations they use), but to say something is more accurate because it knows your HR is a false statement.

And as you said, HRMs are not meant to be worn all day, and the estimates they give when you aren't exercising will be way off.
  • jacksonpt
    Options
    So what's best a fitbit one or a flex? I like he idea of tracking my activity level with one and I'm on the go at work a lot! Well the flex give silly readings if its on my hand? I'm a teacher and tend to sit down but use my hands a lot when I talk or point to stuff? It seems to be less obvious than something clipped to me though?

I looked into this a lot before I ordered my flex. From everyone I talked to (some of whom had both), it comes down to this:

Do you want the altimiter? If so, get the One (Flex doesn't have it).
    Otherwise, do you want something you put in your pocket or something you wear on your wrist?

That's about it.