Is shopping classed as exercise lol

Options
Ok guys walked around for 3 hours non stop does this count as exercise??? What do you think???

Replies

• VegasFit
    VegasFit Posts: 1,232 Member
    Options
    I personally wouldn't log it.
  • gaelicstorm26
    gaelicstorm26 Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    I guess it depends on what your normal activity level is. I wouldn't log it as actual exercise, personally. Unless it was a walk where you kept your heart rate up and sustained it. That would be different.
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    23nik10 wrote: »
    Ok guys walked around for 3 hours non stop does this count as exercise??? What do you think???
    Of course it's exercise but I don't think you should count it. If you never shopped while you gained weight and now have taken up an entirely new version of exercise, then go for it. Otherwise, just call it "life" and focus on something else as exercise.

• Pawsforme
    Pawsforme Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    IMO it's not exercise, but it is activity. It sure beats sitting on your rear for the same amount of time. ;)
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    If you have your settings as sedentary, you should count it. Otherwise, no. The argument of 'if you did x while you were heavy then it's not exercise and doesn't count' is ridiculous. Gaining weight is because you ate too much...if you're following MFP's program, they have a deficit figured in based on your activity level. If you're sedentary, 3 hours of walking is definitely above that activity level. However, be aware of how much of that time you were really walking. A shopping trip and constantly stopping to look at things, is a lot less walking than it seems. I would also, if you choose to log it, use the 2 mph one. And I'd probably only log half the time too.
  • ohmscheeks
    ohmscheeks Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    Dude, no. Slowly walking and pausing while you look at objects is not an exercise.
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    No more or less than any other steps you might take during the day.
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    ohmscheeks wrote: »
    Dude, no. Slowly walking and pausing while you look at objects is not an exercise.

"Exercise"

20150329-2153461950179306.jpg
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Did you shop fast enough that you couldn't carry on a conversation? Then it is a worthy cardio exercise.

I would wear a step counter and count the steps.
  • socioseguro
    socioseguro Posts: 1,679 Member
    Options

Does your Fitbit counts that time as "Active Minutes" ? Probably not. Not enough sustained activity.
    then, no

• ecjim
    ecjim Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    Did you buy a lot of heavy things? Eastcoast Jim
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    ecjim wrote: »
    Did you buy a lot of heavy things? Eastcoast Jim

LOL
  • mikedenali
    mikedenali Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    For realz....? NO. unless of course you bought me something nice ;)
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    Options
    I would not consider it exercise...i would class it as an increase in NEAT (Non Exercise Activity Thermogenesis) just as I would class all additional general movement as an improvement in NEAT.

To that end, doing things which improve our NEAT is a good thing. This is why I take the stairs at work, park in the spot furthest from my office building, park further away from the grocery store, enjoy taking my kids for a few hours to the zoo, etc.

Any increase in general movement is a good thing.

I wouldn't consider any of the things I mentioned as deliberate exercise simply for the fact that they really aren't doing much of anything to improve or even maintain my fitness level...but I"m a pretty active guy both in RE to my exercise as well as general activity...I suppose if you were a completely sedentary person who did pretty much nothing, walking around the mall could be considered exercise...but not for me.
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    Lol, no. That's called life.
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Sam_I_Am77 Posts: 2,093 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    I think it's an exercise in patience for your husband if you make him go with you. LOL :D j/k
  • 23nik10
    23nik10 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Lol hilarious.... Darn it looks like I better get to the gym and burn some real calories then
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    Options
    LOL not even calling it exercise would get me to do it. I loathe shopping!
  • 98bikinisuitedlbs
    98bikinisuitedlbs Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    _Waffle_ wrote: »
    Of course it's exercise but I don't think you should count it. If you never shopped while you gained weight and now have taken up an entirely new version of exercise, then go for it. Otherwise, just call it "life" and focus on something else as exercise.

Yes you should! I shop and walk for good 5-6 miles. It's called cardio shopping
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    kami3006 wrote: »
    LOL not even calling it exercise would get me to do it. I loathe shopping!

haha me too! I power walk through those stores and heaven help anyone who gets in my way :wink:

I map my route first, so I can get in and out as quickly as possible!