Calories burned doing water exercise

How many calories would I burn doing an hour arthritis water class?

Replies

• hill8570
    hill8570 Posts: 1,466 Member
    Go to http://scoobysworkshop.com/calories-burned/ , punch in your stats, and select "water aerobics". Should be ballpark accurate.
  • BARBnKS
    BARBnKS Posts: 84 Member
    Thanks! The scooby workshop is a great tool to figure out calories but I don't feel I'm burning 600 calories doing mostly stretching & walking in the pool. If I was moving at a good pace for the full hour then yes I would say that is accurate. I was hoping that someone who is doing what I do with a arthritis water class would tell me how many calories they log for this activity.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,487 Member
    MFP has water calisthenics in its data base. Try that. If you feel the calorie count is too high, only eat back a portion of it.

Cheers, h.
  • ohmscheeks
    ohmscheeks Posts: 840 Member
    60 calories
  • sheermomentum
    sheermomentum Posts: 827 Member
    arthritis class is typically pretty gentle and slow - would you say its more like pilates or yoga in the water, than like aerobics? I would log it accordingly - as yoga or pilates.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    edited October 2015
    BARBnKS wrote: »
    Thanks! The scooby workshop is a great tool to figure out calories but I don't feel I'm burning 600 calories doing mostly stretching & walking in the pool. If I was moving at a good pace for the full hour then yes I would say that is accurate. I was hoping that someone who is doing what I do with a arthritis water class would tell me how many calories they log for this activity.

I use the MFP database and it is a smaller burn than the Scooby one. I only enter 40 minutes for a 60 minute class to adjust for the time spent warming up at the beginning and the stretching at the end. You could try something like that: use the database but record less time to adjust for the lower intensity.

ETA: I have taken the arthritis class and the fibromyalgia class and, for the classes I took, would consider the arthritis to be about 75% of the intensity of my regular water aerobics class. The fibro class would be about 50%
  • angreed65
    angreed65 Posts: 19 Member
    Thanks for the info on this. I've just gotten back to what is now called "Aqua fit" at my new gym. I went to my first class in nearly 20 years this week!