"Banking" unused calories

Is there any way within MFP to "bank" any unused calories for a particular day? Some days I am satisfied enough at the end of the day to where I can finish the day without eating exercise/activity calories that I've earned, and I'd like to be able to keep track of those calories to save up for a treat maybe later in the week. Does anyone know of a way to do that?

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    There's no way to officially move calories to another day, but you can look at your weekly calories and see if they balance for the week.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,562 Member
    If you have the phone app, you can view your totals over the week. Many people choose to eat lower Monday-Thursday to save additional calories for the weekend.
  • llbrixon
    llbrixon Posts: 964 Member
    malibu927 wrote: »
    If you have the phone app, you can view your totals over the week. Many people choose to eat lower Monday-Thursday to save additional calories for the weekend.

I love your thinking!
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    malibu927 wrote: »

this is what I do. I'm short, and have a daily allowance of 1330. However my MAINTENANCE calories are only 1500ish, so I have a very small deficit. There are times when I would like a glass of wine or two, but I'm not willing to compromise my nutrition on a SINGLE day to have some (ie. I'd only get about 600 calories worth of FOOD in that day if I did that!!). I try and maintain a weekly average of somewhere between 1300 and 1500, and ensure I exercise three times a week. There are some days where my intake is under 1100, but it's mostly vegetables and it's not continuous. I had a fry-up and pizza on Saturday. I don't regret it!

• _Figgzie_
    _Figgzie_ Posts: 3,506 Member
    everyone already stated it, a weekly caloric goal is the way...............
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    edited February 2016
    Your body doesn't actually bank calories, you can use a weekly average since we tend to fluxuate naturally and a weekly average will smooth it out, but I wouldn't use that method to eat really big one day and starve the next two, that's not the intent of a rolling weekly average. This works particularly well if you are only weighing yourself once a week since those fluxuations will be accounted for within the week. If you feel fuller one day and hungrier the next you can certainly average the two out but if you are thinking about banking calories over, say, a month then you probably won't be happy with the results. Remember that your body has daily demands and will burn or store fat as it requires each day. There is no "bank" other than the fat you carry.