Crab legs?

Options
Ok so silly question but I'm trying to plan my daily calories and for crab legs it has
From 90-200 calories for half a pound of snow crab legs. How do I know which is correct?

Replies

• middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,484 Member
    Options
    Have you checked the USDA.com site?
    That is the best place to get an accurate count.
    Enter if it is just the meat or meat and shell.

Cheers, h.
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    The USDA lists 8 oz of "Crustaceans, crab, alaska king, raw" as 192 cal. 8 oz cooked as 216. But that's just the meat and doesn't specify "legs" and it's likely still not 100% accurate. Is your half pound in shell or out? cooked in butter? steamed? raw?
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    Ok so silly question but I'm trying to plan my daily calories and for crab legs it has
    From 90-200 calories for half a pound of snow crab legs. How do I know which is correct?

Well...they both are...

I'm assuming the listings for a "half a pound of snow crab legs" is a shell-on measurement, so I could easily see the amount of meat varying by that much or more.

You'll get a much more accurate reading by weighing the actual meat eaten, though I can see how that would be fairly difficult to measure, as one typically shells them as they go.

Then again, it's more the bucket o' melted butter that comes with the crab legs that's probably more of an issue calorie-wise :)
  • blkandwhite77
    blkandwhite77 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    Ty all they are going to be steamed shell on and sadly very little butter but I will put those calories in separately