How should I start exercising

Options
Ok so in the past week and a half I have lost about 2 lbs. that is just with what I am eating. I haven't even started the exercise part yet. I'm thinking about running for starters then weights in a month or so. What do you guys think?

Replies

• ar9179
    ar9179 Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    Personally, I would start with lifting if you have to pick one. Why? Because I think it's more fun! Also, starting out guarding against loss of muscle mass (which happens with calorie reduction) means that more of the weight you lose will be from fat since your body will prioritize your precious muscle doing the heavy work. Lifting offers some cardio benefit, too, so that's not being neglected. Just not prioritized.

I started with walking and yoga. Added strength a month later after reading about the benefits. So glad that I didn't wait because my body lost several inches very quickly. My scale wasn't moving fast, but I don't care! I've been lifting 2x/week since Feb. That's the longest I've ever stuck with any exercise except yoga. I love it.

Do what you think you'll enjoy and make a priority.
  • quiltlovinlisa
    quiltlovinlisa Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    I have to agree on doing what you enjoy and making it a priority. What you choose depends not just your goals but what's sustainable for you.

There's not reason to hold off on exercise now. I haven't lost "that" much weight (22 pounds so far) but because of my fitness commitment, I feel so much better and can do so much more then i could four months ago.

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    You can do it any way you want. I was completely out of shape and inflexible. I started with walking, then went to C25k and bodyweight training, then straight running and lifting. It was perfect for me but we're all different.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    Start with whatever you find interesting and can commit it to (does not require time or money you cannot afford for example). The best exercise is one you actually want and can do :)
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    Figure out what you will enjoy doing. Otherwise you won't keep it up. It doesn't matter what it is. What one person likes to do, you may hate, so don't do that.
  • beachhouse758
    beachhouse758 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    e5ljsmith wrote: »
    Ok so in the past week and a half I have lost about 2 lbs. that is just with what I am eating. I haven't even started the exercise part yet. I'm thinking about running for starters then weights in a month or so. What do you guys think?

Because I am particularly lazy, when I start exercising I do one thing: Aim Low!

Seriously. I just aim to do something, anything for 20 minutes. Just for that day. And then the next day do I commit to the same thing.
    If I start telling myself that I am going be running everyday and a 10K by month's end along with 6 days of lifting....I will quit before I am even done with the sentence.

(sloth at its finest here)

And I also have to; a) bribe myself with things (like a puppy and treats) but in my case it's things like workout clothes, shoes, DVDs etc b) find FUN things to do for a workout.

I can assure that I will never be a gym rat. I wish I could do it. But I can't.
    However, I found out that I love doing kettlebell workouts at home (who knew?!?)
    and that although I loathe treadmill running, and I hate mornings; I looooove running outside right before sunrise.

So find your groove. I tried a million workouts (it seems) before I found stuff that I look forward to doing.

If you are good at setting and achieving lofty goals, then reach for the stars!! But if you find it all overwhelming, just take it one day at a time, one small workout at a time and be consistent :)

Good luck in your journey!

• Obnoxa
    Obnoxa Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Figure out what you will enjoy doing. Otherwise you won't keep it up.
    This right here. It's the most important thing to remember.
    I started with stretching and using a resistance band (pretty out of shape and have AS), slowly brought a stationery bike into the mix and now its 45 mins on the bike and 20 mins of the band every second day. That makes *me* happy.
    Would I run? Not unless an axe wielding clown was behind me. But if that's what you want to do, then do it! This is your story, you write it however you want :)
    Good luck!