Help me understand frozen french fries.

Options
Bag started out as 21oz while frozen. Serving size: 3oz. Servings per container: 7. After cooking, the fries weighed only 11oz. I ate half. I don't know whether I ate just under 2 portions (cooked weight), or 3.5 portions as listed on the frozen bag. Please help? I'm going nuts!

Replies

• auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    If you ate half of the bag, you ate 3.5 servings.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    The ice turned to water, then turned to steam and left the fries. THAT is why they weighed less after cooking. Unless the package says a serving is 3 oz prepared, you always weigh out a serving before cooking.
  • Caffeinated_MES
    Caffeinated_MES Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    So the serving weight no longer matters once cooked, different than chicken? I wish they broke it down to "approximately x amount of fries"...
  • ro_vanou
    ro_vanou Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    You ate 3.5 portions.
  • Caffeinated_MES
    Caffeinated_MES Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    earlnabby wrote: »
    The ice turned to water, then turned to steam and left the fries. THAT is why they weighed less after cooking. Unless the package says a serving is 3 oz prepared, you always weigh out a serving before cooking.

That makes sense. A hard lesson learned tonight, but now I get it. Thanks for clearing it up! :)
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    So the serving weight no longer matters once cooked, different than chicken? I wish they broke it down to "approximately x amount of fries"...

If you cook chicken, it weighs less as well.
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options

It depends if you are using an entry for raw or cooked chicken....

"x" amount of fries isn't necessarily accurate either since the weight between fries would vary.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options

Pretty much everything you make yourself should be weighed raw, frozen, dry (like pasta and rice), etc unless the package says otherwise (sometimes you will get things like pancake mix, cake mix, or boxed mac and cheese which gives a serving size "prepared" which means you should weigh it after cooking according to package directions).

The weight will change while cooking but each person will cook differently. A steak that is well done will weigh less than a steak that is medium rare because water and some fat will have been cooked off. Pasta cooked al dente will weigh less than pasta that is cooked to almost mush because the mush absorbed more water.
  • Pawsforme
    Pawsforme Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    Bag started out as 21oz while frozen. Serving size: 3oz. Servings per container: 7. After cooking, the fries weighed only 11oz. I ate half. I don't know whether I ate just under 2 portions (cooked weight), or 3.5 portions as listed on the frozen bag. Please help? I'm going nuts!

Using simple math, the nutrition information is for the fries when frozen, because 7 servings of 3 ounces each equals 21 ounces (the weight of the bag when frozen).

However, half the bag is half the bag, whether frozen or cooked. So you ate 3.5 servings.
  • mandipandi75
    mandipandi75 Posts: 6,036 Member
    Options
    Half a bag of french fries... I love french fries