Aggressive Dog

Options
VastBreak
VastBreak Posts: 322 Member
Anybody have to deal with being an owner of an agressive dog? We have a small terrier and he is very snippy! Today my neighbor came over and when she walked over towards my kids in the kiddie pool my terrier nipped her hard on her calf! Not sure what to do or how to handle this?

We have had this dog since he was a small puppy and we took him to obedience classes. He is now 4 and not usually aggressive but not really sure where to go from here!

Replies

• ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    Uh oh need to nip this in the bud ASAP! Who is the alpha in your home? Is he allowed on furniture and the bed? If you can enlist that neighbor again, if she's not scared, start working with him and teaching him that barring his teeth, growling, and biting is not acceptable. The minute he shows any signs of aggression shake a can filled with rocks and tell him, "NO!" Get him to back down this is your space and you want the neighbor in your space.
  • Laces_0ut
    Laces_0ut Posts: 3,750 Member
    Options
    shock collars work well.
  • bearkisses
    bearkisses Posts: 1,252 Member
    Options
    you need to lay the smack down. I find when my dog doesn't get as much attn she thinks she has free reign. Cage him at night, take his food away when he is done eating, don't allow him on the furniture unless invited, etc etc. Treat him like he is a puppy all over again.

My girl can get *****y too, but I find after a few days of being really attentive and disciplining her, and not letting her get away with anything, she cools her jets.
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    shock collars work well.

Yup.

If he doesn't listen to a loud and firm "NO" then you may have to go this route. It's an excellent training device. Say NO, make the collar beep. Sometimes that will get them to behave. If not say NO again, beep the collar again. Again, if it fails to get their attention you say NO and then give them the shock. After a few times (like two or three) of being shocked they will know what the beep means and that's all you will have to use after you say NO.

I have a 75lb German Shepherd and when we walk him we put the collar on him because he likes to run off into the woods and it has worked wonders at keeping him in line.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,031 Member
    Options
    Yeah, you need to stop that right away. You could find yourself in legal trouble if you don't. I agree with any method that works, including everything already suggested.

You are the root of this. Only you can stop it.

It's going to take 100% attention on your part to stop any signs of Alpha behavior from your dog. Pay attention to every move it makes and control it.

Make sure it is getting lots of walks on a leash - at least twice a day for 20 minutes each. Terriers are super high energy and need lots of exercise.
  • VastBreak
    Options
    Yes, I would like to get ahead of this before any other issues arise! He is the smallest of our 3 dogs and he is alpha over them, even our 70lb boxer! The 3 dogs are kenneled together each night and every time we tell them to go to the kennel the terrier goes first and barks at the other 2 dogs when they get to the kennel! Of course they just ignore him but he does this each time to make a point. We have a large yard and an invisible fence so the dogs have plenty of space and outdoor time. On a leash the terrier is wonderful! I have even walked with this neighbor with this dog on the leash with no issues. If he starts to bark/growl a quick tug on the leash and he is back in line!

We might have to go the shock collar route! He doesn't listen when a stranger is around. The barking is continous until we put him in the house or the person leaves.
  • LonLB
    LonLB Posts: 1,126 Member
    Options
    I do like animals.

But to me they are still animals. That is why I do not own them. ONE hard bite from an animal I owned and it would be put down.
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    Ok, if this is not typical behavior for your dog, I would take him (her?) to the vet to make sure there are no underlying medical issues that is causing the dog to be more aggressive... Then, I would look towards other ways to help keep this behavior at bay.
  • Rivers2k
    Rivers2k Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    Yes, I would like to get ahead of this before any other issues arise! He is the smallest of our 3 dogs and he is alpha over them, even our 70lb boxer!

This very common because the way owners treat small dogs (picking up, coddling, sitting on lap, carrying) sends the message to the other dogs that the little dog is the alpha.

Another common mistake is when they do something wrong dont yell their name just yell the command for example the owners yell Spike stop barking Spike get back here Spike don't jump. They hear Spike bla bla bla Spike bla bla bla. All they know is that they are hearing there name over and over they must be doing something good. I just say quiet and inside and my dogs know what those two commands mean.

I have had dogs for 25 years and not one incident. My dogs are obedient and well adjusted because I treat them like a dog not human.
  • VastBreak
    Options
    I believe this mainly happened because my kids where involved. Not that I think it excuses the problem.

The neighbor walked into my driveway and was greeted by the barking. She stopped and tried to allow the terrier to approach her. He kept about a 6 foot radius from her. When I walked over to yell at the dog he stopped barking and I sent him to the deck. He listens very well if you can get his attention. Then we walked past the deck towards the pool. When she approached the pool the dog came off the deck and bit her!
  • VastBreak
    Options
    He is not treated special because he is little, we were actually warned of this when we took him to obedience lass. None of the dogs have special privileges, not allowed in bed, on furniture. If anything our boxer gets singled out and goes on walks/runs individually because I feel more comfortable during early mornings with an intimidating dog at my side!
  • Binkie1955
    Binkie1955 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    you got a problem. one of my dogs, a bit bigger than yours, bit a kid and my insurance had to pay out big time. interestingly, the kid was outside my yard poking my dog with a stick when my dog decided to stand his ground. the 'Castle Doctrine' doesn't apply to dogs in California at least. I forget the name of the law but it was passed by the plaintiff's bar in Sacramento and basically creates absolute liability for the dog owner regardless of how deserving the victim may have been to received the dog's attention.

so consider a muzzle. the dog cannot be allowed to bite anyone. legally, you're on safer ground shooting someone than letting your dog bite someone. it's that silly believe me. took an attorney and an insurance agent to educate me and I couldn't believe it worked that way. check the law in your state there are websites to help you.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,031 Member
    Options
    He is not treated special because he is little, we were actually warned of this when we took him to obedience lass. None of the dogs have special privileges, not allowed in bed, on furniture. If anything our boxer gets singled out and goes on walks/runs individually because I feel more comfortable during early mornings with an intimidating dog at my side!

Walk all of them together, every time. Enforce the "heel" - make them all walk right next to you. I would give the terrier stern consequences for aggression of any type. If you can't trust him to not bite, you need to keep him on leash any time there is anyone around. I don't think you really have any option here, other than separation, once your dog has bitten someone. That is over the top dangerous behavior. What if he bites a child next?
  • VastBreak
    Options
    Some really good advice here, thank you!

Hadn't thought of a muzzle, that might be a decent option!

I have contracted a trainer in our area and she is going to see if she has some space coming up to take him for a week or two to observe and work with his behavior. She said it is tough though and sometimes you never know what might be a trigger for dog displaying these types of behaviors. She also mentioned much of what was said here, being stern, being quick to correct and she recommended keeping him on a leash at all times so that we can grab him quickly if need be.

Hopefully we can turn this around!
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    Some really good advice here, thank you!

Hadn't thought of a muzzle, that might be a decent option!

I have contracted a trainer in our area and she is going to see if she has some space coming up to take him for a week or two to observe and work with his behavior. She said it is tough though and sometimes you never know what might be a trigger for dog displaying these types of behaviors. She also mentioned much of what was said here, being stern, being quick to correct and she recommended keeping him on a leash at all times so that we can grab him quickly if need be.

Hopefully we can turn this around!

Best wishes for your pooch
  • PhattiPhat
    PhattiPhat Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    I don't know why I read this topic as Aggressive Dong
  • twinketta
    twinketta Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    shock collars work well.

for the owner or pet?
  • twinketta
    twinketta Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    shock collars work well.

Yup.

If he doesn't listen to a loud and firm "NO" then you may have to go this route. It's an excellent training device. Say NO, make the collar beep. Sometimes that will get them to behave. If not say NO again, beep the collar again. Again, if it fails to get their attention you say NO and then give them the shock. After a few times (like two or three) of being shocked they will know what the beep means and that's all you will have to use after you say NO.

I have a 75lb German Shepherd and when we walk him we put the collar on him because he likes to run off into the woods and it has worked wonders at keeping him in line.

No, no and triple no!!!

Would you treat your child this way because they did not behave?
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    Next time he shows any sign of aggression, flip him on his back and hold him there until he lets out the deep breath he's holding. It worked well for my nippy Sibe puppy, as well as pinching her ear firmly the one time she bit me properly. She has never nipped at anyone or anything since the pinch.
  • tmauck4472
    tmauck4472 Posts: 1,783 Member
    Options
    I do like animals.

But to me they are still animals. That is why I do not own them. ONE hard bite from an animal I owned and it would be put down.

oh wow and would you put down your child because it decided to bite someone? SMDH
    My dog bites but only if you reach down to pet her, your in her territory and you better not even attempt to touch me or her. My neighbors dog bit my kid (it took 60 stitches to sew her back together) and he killed the dog, within minutes of it happening. They were fined $1000 from the city because of it. The dog got scared of her roller blades and attacked her although it had never bit anyone before. My heart breaks because they killed the dog, it should not have happened that way. My dogs are my FAMILY and I would never ever just put one down because it was protecting it's territory. You just have to be pro active and see if you can break the habit..if not put up warning signs that you have a dog that bites and cage the dog when anyone comes over.