10 of my 18 friends suck

Options
mrhonesty
mrhonesty Posts: 274 Member
edited October 2015 in Introduce Yourself
If you are sick of supporting people who don't support in return, hit me up. And please no friend collectors or part time loggers.

Replies

• marlown
    marlown Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I love the title. 10 of my 18 friends suck. Tell it like it is. lol. Sorry it just struck me funny. But I completely understand. Happy to encourage or support any way I can and like the support as well.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    I'm going to guess that if 18 of your friends read this, your ratios would change.
  • mrhonesty
    Options
    marlown wrote: »
    I love the title. 10 of my 18 friends suck. Tell it like it is. lol. Sorry it just struck me funny. But I completely understand. Happy to encourage or support any way I can and like the support as well.
    Thank you lol. Nutmegoreo, I rather have 8 solid friends than 18 with 10 fair weather. I support constantly and don't get it in return so I'm deleting the slackers. Do you have slackers on your list?
  • nutmegoreo
    Options
    mrhonesty wrote: »
    marlown wrote: »
    Thank you lol. Nutmegoreo, I rather have 8 solid friends than 18 with 10 fair weather. I support constantly and don't get it in return so I'm deleting the slackers. Do you have slackers on your list?

I appreciate each of my friends. The ones who dissappear for months on end are deleted, unless I really adore them. I wouldn't call any of them slackers. Everyone is in a different place with different challenges. Not my place to judge them (and calling them slackers is judgmental ).Best of luck in finding yourself a new group of friends.
  • mrhonesty
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Life is full of challenges. Maybe your friends are fantastic but the ones I'm complaining about take days off for parties and binge sessions. Slackers.
  • KeepGood
    KeepGood Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    Take days of for parties?! How dare they have a life! Absolutely shocking :o
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Delete them

They are internet connections not friends

I'd love to see what you consider support and not support though, personally I'm more inclined to delete people who don't share my sense of humour tbh
  • mrhonesty
    Options

rabbitjb wrote: »
    Delete them

I'd love to see what you consider support and not support though, personally I'm more inclined to delete people who don't share my sense of humour tbh

I agree. If I'm cheering you on an encouraging your workouts and logs, throw a little my way. When you're feeling down because you're not losing enough I'm there for you but it's a two way street. And you're right.
  • mrhonesty
    Options
    KeepGood wrote: »
    Sure when you put it like that I sound bad lol. Do you keep people who don't support you?
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    Delete them

I agree. If I'm cheering you on an encouraging your workouts and logs, throw a little my way. When you're feeling down because you're not losing enough I'm there for you but it's a two way street. And you're right.

Yeah I don't do that cheerleader stuff at all, nor do I need people doing it for me .. In fact it's in my profile

so I hope you find the group that help you get to your goals...there's plenty round here that like all the "you go" stuff :)
  • mrhonesty
    Options
    Delete them

Yeah I don't do that cheerleader stuff at all, nor do I need people doing it for me .. In fact it's in my profile

so I hope you find the group that help you get to your goals...there's plenty round here that like all the "you go" stuff :)

Well I'm lost, why have friends on here if not for support? Take away the cheerleading and you have every other social media outlet

• nutmegoreo
    edited October 2015
    Options

Right? Because we all know that while you're losing weight you shouldn't have any social life at all.

@mrhonesty I wouldn't consider trying to fit enjoyable activities into my life while following MFP to be slacking. I plan on going out with my friends once I am finished, so it makes sense to learn how to add it into my health goals while I am trying to lose weight. I do my best to preplan what I am going to have when I go out, and usually keep within it (but not always). That's part of figuring out how to make things work in your own lifestyle.

ETA: If you are talking about someone who is regularly going over their calorie limits, and then complaining about not losing weight while refusing to consider solutions or take advice then I can understand the frustration. But we are human, and some people are not quite ready to do the work.
    Delete them

Well I'm lost, why have friends on here if not for support? Take away the cheerleading and you have every other social media outlet

This is dependent on your purposes. Personally, I know that if I am having a hard time my friends will step up. Some will give the tough love "suck it up, buttercup" type of support, and others are a softer touch such as PMing to see if I am okay and offer to be a sounding board. I do the same for them. But for the most part, it is lighter interactions that include general chit chat, some perviness, and humor.

If you aren't getting what you want from the people you have here, by all means delete them, and look around the forums for some people who seems to have similar goals. Perhaps start a new thread asking for people who are active, and enjoy being supportive, cheerleader types, and maybe not knocking your existing friends list. Another suggestion would be to evaluate why you need this type of support from your friends here, and why you feel the need to judge people for trying to enjoy their life. It seems that you are having some difficulties with your own progress and that may be influencing how you are feeling. Is there something specific that you need help with?
  • nutmegoreo
    Options
    Life is full of challenges. Maybe your friends are fantastic but the ones I'm complaining about take days off for parties and binge sessions. Slackers.

Can I point out the irony that your profile picture is you sitting behind martini glasses? I'm not taking a jab at you, I just thought it was amusing.
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    Delete them

Well honestly (if you really want to know) I don't get the cheerleading schtick...the friends I have I occasionally have a joke or share a story with, but I never got how it can support other people by being a personal cheerleader? That's a cultural thing peculiar to the Americas IMHO

Over here we like a bit of humour and sarcasm with our "pull your socks up love, stop being a whiny git and get on with it" ;)

Personally I like to spread information and education and give people the tools to use...so ask a question on my fl and if I know the answer and see it, I'll answer, but you'll probably find me doing that on the boards more readily

I don't need people checking my diary ..but if friends want to check how many ice creams I've eaten today that's up to them ...for me my logging is a personal commitment, as are my gym sessions...do I need a Whoot when I complete a session nope...do I need a mate telling me his daughter can back squat almost a third more than me? Yep ...@deguellotex seriously dude your girl rocks :bigsmile:

• DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,658 Member
    Options
    Delete them

Well honestly (if you really want to know) I don't get the cheerleading schtick...the friends I have I occasionally have a joke or share a story with, but I never got how it can support other people by being a personal cheerleader? That's a cultural thing peculiar to the Americas IMHO

Over here we like a bit of humour and sarcasm with our "pull your socks up love, stop being a whiny git and get on with it" ;)

Personally I like to spread information and education and give people the tools to use...so ask a question on my fl and if I know the answer and see it, I'll answer, but you'll probably find me doing that on the boards more readily

I don't need people checking my diary ..but if friends want to check how many ice creams I've eaten today that's up to them ...for me my logging is a personal commitment, as are my gym sessions...do I need a Whoot when I complete a session nope...do I need a mate telling me his daughter can back squat almost a third more than me? Yep ...@deguellotex seriously dude your girl rocks :bigsmile:
    She'll be chuffed to hear it.

Some of my friends teach me how to speak British.

As far as cheerleading and whatnot, I prefer to support by example. If I've already walked or run seven miles by the time you wake up, you can get some stuff done, too.

• mrhonesty
    Options
    nutmegoreo wrote: »

Can I point out the irony that your profile picture is you sitting behind martini glasses? I'm not taking a jab at you, I just thought it was amusing.

That is funny.
  • mrhonesty
    Options
    nutmegoreo wrote: »

Right? Because we all know that while you're losing weight you shouldn't have any social life at all.

@mrhonesty I wouldn't consider trying to fit enjoyable activities into my life while following MFP to be slacking. I plan on going out with my friends once I am finished, so it makes sense to learn how to add it into my health goals while I am trying to lose weight. I do my best to preplan what I am going to have when I go out, and usually keep within it (but not always). That's part of figuring out how to make things work in your own lifestyle.

ETA: If you are talking about someone who is regularly going over their calorie limits, and then complaining about not losing weight while refusing to consider solutions or take advice then I can understand the frustration. But we are human, and some people are not quite ready to do the work.
    Delete them

This is dependent on your purposes. Personally, I know that if I am having a hard time my friends will step up. Some will give the tough love "suck it up, buttercup" type of support, and others are a softer touch such as PMing to see if I am okay and offer to be a sounding board. I do the same for them. But for the most part, it is lighter interactions that include general chit chat, some perviness, and humor.

If you aren't getting what you want from the people you have here, by all means delete them, and look around the forums for some people who seems to have similar goals. Perhaps start a new thread asking for people who are active, and enjoy being supportive, cheerleader types, and maybe not knocking your existing friends list. Another suggestion would be to evaluate why you need this type of support from your friends here, and why you feel the need to judge people for trying to enjoy their life. It seems that you are having some difficulties with your own progress and that may be influencing how you are feeling. Is there something specific that you need help with?

Bill me for your psychoanalysis assessment. That's what this site is for. If you don't need the support, don't take on friends. If you need to be amused try facebook or go out with friends. But if you are on this site, that's how it works. Support and get supported. I didn't invent this.
  • mrhonesty
    Options
    DeguelloTex, Spot on.
  • mrhonesty
    Options
    Mrhonesty is a nickname I was given at work. My thoughts are not always popular but they are mine. I came to this site and had no support. As I built my friendships and started losing I formed a core of solid friends. That's what this site was intended for. To log your meals and give/get support. If you have no intention on doing that, don't add me as we have different goals on here. And for the record, since this post I have gotten 8 friend requests and 11 messages from people who agree. Peace to all
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    Mrhonesty is a nickname I was given at work. My thoughts are not always popular but they are mine. I came to this site and had no support. As I built my friendships and started losing I formed a core of solid friends. That's what this site was intended for. To log your meals and give/get support. If you have no intention on doing that, don't add me as we have different goals on here. And for the record, since this post I have gotten 8 friend requests and 11 messages from people who agree. Peace to all

Go you

(Did I get that right? <sarcasm font> )