What myfitnesspal says you will weight in 5 weeks

Options
2»

Replies

• rongata
    rongata Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Wow that's interesting I was hoping it was spot on, it seems it works for some people. I was curious because it told me with exercise I would go from 221 to 199 in 5 weeks which is my goal. But no way did I expect it to be in 5 weeks. For me it was very motivating
  • Kimegatron
    Kimegatron Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    Mine is up and down so much. Today I am 5lbs more than what it says, but 5 weeks ago tomorrow I ate a lot, so I will be 2 pounds more than tomorrow's prediction... Assuming my weigh in tomorrow is the same as today, which it often is, but you never know
  • Shaz3k
    Shaz3k Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Well yep mine is spot on, 5 weeks and 1 day later. Smack bang on what it suggested 59.1kg. It was just fun to check it out this once, know it's not gospel. :)
  • caitlinrennes
    caitlinrennes Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Mine is usually all over the place too, but it's handy for me to have the approximation to see, as its yet another small goal to reach. I treat it as the maximum I will hopefully lose in that time-frame, but I don't bother if I don't achieve it. :)
  • sunandmoons
    sunandmoons Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    Nope. Not at all.

• debrakgoogins
    debrakgoogins Posts: 2,033 Member
    Options
    rongata wrote: »
    Wow that's interesting I was hoping it was spot on, it seems it works for some people. I was curious because it told me with exercise I would go from 221 to 199 in 5 weeks which is my goal. But no way did I expect it to be in 5 weeks. For me it was very motivating

On that particular day did you come in well below your daily calories? It's looking at a snapshot in time...that day only and how you logged for that day. If you eat more today or tomorrow, that number is going to be different every day. Your actual loss will be an average of all those days.
  • GreenValli
    GreenValli Posts: 1,054 Member
    Options
    Have been using MFP for 1 1/2 years and have never lost as much weight as it predicts.

Eating 1100-1300 calories a day and hitting the gym 3-4 days a week for an hour of fairly intense activity each time. Tracking accurately and consistantly! I think maybe my metabolism has slowed down, just because I am getting older.

But I am losing 2-4 lbs a month and am wearing smaller clothing. Still have at least 25-30 lbs. to go. Onward and forward.

70044776.png
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    That depends.

When i first started losing weight i set my calorie goal to ONE thing and i hit the calorie goal each and every day for about 4 months. It was SPOT ON.

However, i don't eat the same number of calories every day now and therefore it won't be accurate. Some days i eat more, some days less, etc.

It's just an equation, so it's only going to be as accurate as you make it.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    I'm sure for some people it is correct but the human body isn't nicely predictable I think he same way a computer algorithm is so I would hate for anyone to get hung up on that figure. My weight fluctuates wildly day to day so I look at the overall trend. I also never complete my diary because I don't need or want to see that screen and I take a weekly rather than daily view of my calorie intake.
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    Options
    It always gives me a number 3-10 pounds below my goal weight.

I think that if I had a healthy/normal body, the prediction would probably be accurate.
  • teresadutton
    teresadutton Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I just looked back 5 weeks and it says in 5 weeks I would weigh 135.9 and I actually weigh 138.2 so not to far off AND 5 weeks ago today I weighed 145.6...so in 5 weeks I have lost 7.4 pounds ( almost 1.5 lb a week)
  • teresadutton
    teresadutton Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Just for fun I looked at 5 weeks from tmr and it says I would weigh 137.2, so that is even closer to my current weight of 138.2 :)
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    It's never been spot on for me. Not even close.

If you are at all prone to cyclical water retention, it's not going to be a great projection, even if you eat exactly the same thing and exercise exactly the same way/duration.