Greek yogurt help

I have been eating Greek yogurt with fruit in the bottom for breakfast but it is starting to taste too sweet to me. Since I have been on MFP I have really cut back on added sugar. I don't use artificial sweeteners.
So here is the question. How do you get some sweetness into plain nonfat Greek yogurt? I tried adding fruit that had macerated overnight with a tiny bit of sugar but was still too tangy. More sugar? Honey? Other?

Replies

• MollyJE19
    MollyJE19 Posts: 67 Member
    I use Stevia. It's not artificial, it's a 0-calorie, herbal sweetener.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Just add a little of whatever sweetener you prefer.
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    MollyJE19 wrote: »
    I use Stevia. It's not artificial, it's a 0-calorie, herbal sweetener.

Yes, this is the best choice
  • Malteaster
    Malteaster Posts: 75 Member
    I have greek yoghurt with fruit and find adding a small sprinkle of stevia and a sprinkle of cinnamon stops it being too tart.
  • sweetiepie781
    sweetiepie781 Posts: 75 Member
    I eat plain greek yogurt for breakfast but I normally just mix in a mini box of raisins with sunflower seeds or blueberries, strawberries or a little honey
  • socioseguro
    socioseguro Posts: 1,679 Member
    I buy plain Greek Yogurt. I am using "Nancy's Greek" . I add diced fruit on top, whatever I find from the berry family (i.e. strawberry) or sometimes when I found it, pomegranate seeds
  • Spike_G
    Spike_G Posts: 149 Member
    Honey works for me. But I'm a bit of a fiend for it :smile:
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Buy your normal fruit on bottom brand.
    Buy plain also.
    Mix the two. So its half and half. It will knock out some of the sweetness and you won't have to look around for random things to add in
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    thorsmom01 wrote: »
    Buy plain also.
    Mix the two. So its half and half. It will knock out some of the sweetness and you won't have to look around for random things to add in

That's what I was going to suggest. That's how my husband eats it.
  • MrsSylvie
    MrsSylvie Posts: 301 Member
    i don't like almost all artificial sweetners but, i do use ez-sweet liquid sweetener since it has no aftertaste and only a drop or two is needed to make bitter/tart taste go away..

when i start maintaining my weight, i will go back to using 1/2 tbsp of madhava organic raw agave nectar (amber colored one) in my foods like plain yogurts. it has a nice sweet taste and sweeter than the loads of real sugar i use to use. its worth trying out in your yogurt.. theres also xylitol you can use instead of real sugar but, personally its not sweet enough for me at the lower grams needed to be used to avoid the bathroom #2 issues that can arise from using it..
  • bover145
    bover145 Posts: 119 Member
    Half and half.....what a great concept! Will give a try.
  • nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,382 Member
    Francl27 wrote: »
    thorsmom01 wrote: »
    Buy plain also.

That's what I was going to suggest. That's how my husband eats it.

Every week I mix a 32oz 10% fat plain Greek yogurt with 32oz 2% fat vanilla Greek yogurt. It's how my kids eat it. I do every once in awhile too, it's rich and not overly sweet or too tangy. I find nonfat yogurt to be ridiculously tart.
  • kuroshii
    kuroshii Posts: 168 Member
    I buy large tubs of plain (but otherwise full-fat) Greek yogurt and divide it evenly in a half dozen small containers, having first half-filled each container with cut up fruit. Usually the fruit adds enough sweetness for me, especially if it's berries, but if it isn't I'll drizzle a tiny bit of honey on top just before eating. But then, I love the tartness.
  • ltworide
    ltworide Posts: 342 Member
    I make overnight oats with plain Greek yogurt, oatmeal or Qia add spices (cinnamon, nutmeg, etc.), fruit (I find adding frozen berries rather than fresh makes it taste sweeter), nuts, 2 tbsp of chia/hemp/flax seed (chia thickens up and hemp has a nice nutty flavour) and mix in some unsweetened vanilla almond milk to the mix. I stir this up the night before then the next morning it's ready to eat--the oats have softened and chia seeds, if added, are thickened up.
  • I sweeten plain yogurt with 1 tsp-1/2 Tbsp of pure maple syrup or honey, sometimes I add 1-2 Tbsp of PB2 with or without syrup/honey and dip apple slices in it.
  • bover145
    bover145 Posts: 119 Member
    Thanks! Great ideas. Love the maple syrup idea.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    I use 3 sliced strawberries and a tablespoon of honey drizzled on top. Do. Not. Mix. :)
  • frankie_xox
    frankie_xox Posts: 46 Member
    I like to sweeten it with maple syrup and some strawberries or pineapple. I don't LOVE the taste of honey, so I find that doesn't help the flavor of the yogurt for me!
  • mbauer013
    mbauer013 Posts: 34 Member
    I used to use small curd non-fat cottage cheese instead of greek yoghurt since it has more protein and less sugar. The carbs in yoghurt hide behind all that protein, but it always made me miss my macros.
  • guapa68
    guapa68 Posts: 56 Member
    If you persevere you will get used to the taste but full fat is much much much nicer than fat free