How much will one TERRIBLE day ruin things?

Options
2»

Replies

• UncaToddly
    UncaToddly Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    In the grand scheme of things, like others have mentioned, it won't ruin things. Maybe it takes a little longer to reach your goal but the one day isn't going to set you back so far you have to start over.

I have over 100 pounds to go and do a pretty good job of following the "be good 85% of the time" portion of my diet that they told me at the bariatric clinic I go to. Being on a low carb (50-100g)/high protein(160g) diet it takes very little "normal" food to blow out the numbers, especially the carbs.

On the days I don't do as good (bring McDonald's home for dinner) or give in and eat a bagel or donut that is in the house, I just log it and move on. Part of me does feel disappointed that I caved a little (I could have not eaten the french fries and only did half a bun or no bun or simply fought the donut urge) but I try to remind myself that since I am logging my food I can go back and see that overall I am being good most of the time and that "cheating" now and then isn't going to kill me, completely giving up on this will.
  • Obnoxa
    Obnoxa Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    About as much as 1 good day makes you thin

Perfectly put!

It's one day, as long as you keep it in perspective and move forward with the attitude that you're still all over better eating choices it won't have any real bearing. Good luck!
  • aarar
    aarar Posts: 684 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »

Log it. Move on.

^^^ Exactly this! It's been my motto for the 3 years I've been on MPF including 2 years of maintenance.

• christinasoonmrsnewton
    Options
    Well I've logged it which has made me feel more in control! Just under 3000 calories in one day - wow!!!!!! :o
  • quiltlovinlisa
    quiltlovinlisa Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    rankinsect wrote: »
    One bad day certainly won't physically derail your diet.

It's up to you whether or not you let one bad day mentally derail your diet.

Exactly this.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,982 Member
    Options
    I dare say that if you're at such an extreme calorie deficit as to average 3.4 pounds per week of weight loss, it will probably do you a bit of good to get your body a bit of extra nutrition.

Yes, @christinasoonmrsnewton, with only 42 pounds left to lose, if you set your weight loss goals to be one pound per week you will get a more sustainable amount of calories.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    Meals out, holidays, special dinners, etc happen. It's part of life. Try to work them into your calorie goal, but if you go over, big deal. Log it and move on.

As long as you don't treat everyday like today (eating over maintenance), you'll be fine.
  • Bex_hostie
    Bex_hostie Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    If you lose concentration for a split second and fell down the last stair... Would you then March right to the top and throw yourself down the whole lot? No! So just put it down to a small bump in the road and act like it never happened B)
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    Probably not at all if you don't keep repeating it.
  • jeepinshawn
    jeepinshawn Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    They figure 3500cal=1 pound if you are 1500 calories over maintenance thats almost .5lbs or another way to think of it is if you are at a 500cal a day deficit you lost 3 days worth of work, you didnt put on all that extra weight in 3 days it probably took years, 3 days isnt much in the grand scheme of things.
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,053 Member
    Options
    I have bad days all the time. But that's why I log... ok so I went 2000 over. That's just 4-5 days of deficit to break even. That's nothing.. I've been at this for almost 3 years! What's 4 days vs 3 years? I've lost 80 pounds and been maintaining for 16 months.

Log it. Move on.

+1
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    About as much as 1 good day makes you thin

I like that. Well said.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    You probably lost 2 pounds :wink:
  • Montepulciano
    Montepulciano Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    I have bad days all the time. But that's why I log... ok so I went 2000 over. That's just 4-5 days of deficit to break even. That's nothing.. I've been at this for almost 3 years! What's 4 days vs 3 years? I've lost 80 pounds and been maintaining for 16 months.

Log it. Move on.

Thank you for sharing, sometimes we forget that we don't have to do it perfectly all the time.
  • sinbad714
    sinbad714 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I incorporate a cheat day once a week. Preferably on Sundays. It's a relief and I still skip my snack in order to load up on lunch or dinner. I still end up losing, because I have a conscious boost from it to lose more. It's like a vacation.
  • shirleyann2013
    shirleyann2013 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Don't worry about it but figure out how to stop bingeing. I have been working very hard at learning how to eat out. I have been talking with people who have lost a lot of weight and ask them what they do when they eat out. And I have been practicing. Five successes in the past month.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    They figure 3500cal=1 pound if you are 1500 calories over maintenance thats almost .5lbs or another way to think of it is if you are at a 500cal a day deficit you lost 3 days worth of work, you didnt put on all that extra weight in 3 days it probably took years, 3 days isnt much in the grand scheme of things.

This.