5/3/1 questions

Options
Hey, so my wife and I are going to try out 5/3/1 and see how we like it. The short workouts should fit well for us. I started planning the programming for us using this link: http://www.muscleforlife.com/get-strong-strength-training/

One question (so far), when I calculate the warm ups, it says to use percentage of 1RM. Is that right, or should I be using percentage of 90% of 1RM, same as I do for the main lifts? The reason I ask, is because when I get to Wave 4, the warmup lifts end up being higher than the main lifts, which seems pretty strange to me.

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Figure out your 1RM. Then take either 85% or 90% of that. Then forget about your 1RM for now. The 85/90% figure is your training max. Base all weights off of it.

Example
    1RM = 100
    Training max = 90

Warmup
    40% = 36
    50% = 45
    60% = 54

Week 1 working sets
    65% = 58.5
    75% = 67.5
    85% = 76.5

Round your weights down. So if you only can go in 5 lb increments you'd use 35/45/50/55/65/75.
  • subversive99
    subversive99 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    Yes, I did that. Warmups are based off the 90% as well, correct? The page is just not super clear on that.
  • jemhh
    Options
    Yes, I did that. Warmups are based off the 90% as well, correct? The page is just not super clear on that.

Like I said, forget about your 1RM. Everything is based off your training max.
  • piperdown44
    piperdown44 Posts: 958 Member
    Options
    Blackironbeast.com has a good calculator for 531. Enter your numbers and print the sheets off for each cycle.
  • armylife
    armylife Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    What is your training background? Have you thought about buying the 5/3/1 book from Jim? He sells and e-version and it will cover all your questions and explain why he developed te system the way he did. But it is an intermediate lifting program and more geared towards lifters with a pretty good base of training.

To answer your exact question week 4 is a de-load week and depending on your strength levels the calculators may have a hard time fitting your lifts into the scheme of the program.

Overtime with 5/3/1 your 1rm and training maxes will become skewed and you will have to do resets and recalculate your training. You might also have to play with the accessory lifts to get the right combination, at the right volume, to help both balance your physique and complement your main lift. Again, I recommend getting the book written by the guy that developed the program before going to random sites to piece the program together.
  • jemhh
    Options
    I agree with getting the book.

However, 531 is not just for intermediate lifters. In the first book he covers beginners at 73% (this is the location per my Kindle.) In Beyond 531 he talks about using the 5s progression starting at 41% (again that's the Kindle location.)
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    5/3/1 is a short workout? What the hell have I been doing then? LOL
  • armylife
    edited October 2015
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »

However, 531 is not just for intermediate lifters. In the first book he covers beginners at 73% (this is the location per my Kindle.) In Beyond 531 he talks about using the 5s progression starting at 41% (again that's the Kindle location.)

Him covering beginners and it being an optimal program for beginners is not the same thing. If I told you I had a ham and sand sandwich that was 73% sand, would you still call it a ham sandwich?
  • armylife
    edited October 2015
    Options
    DopeItUp wrote: »
    5/3/1 is a short workout? What the hell have I been doing then? LOL

The not doing jack version can be very short. But I agree it takes me an hour to get through my warm ups, warm up sets, main lift, and accessory lifts.
  • jemhh
    Options
    armylife wrote: »
    jemhh wrote: »

Him covering beginners and it being an optimal program for beginners is not the same thing. If I told you I had a ham and sand sandwich that was 73% sand, would you still call it a ham sandwich?

Optimal is relative to a person's goals. Plenty of people do not desire to start with a 5x5 program for various reasons (though IIRC the OP has already done SL.) For them, a 5x5 program is not optimal because it doesn't meet their needs/interests, despite so many people loving them as beginner's programs. Same goes with All Pro's or Strong Curves. Different goals, different programs, different thresholds for optimal.