Am I too old to get my life back???

Options
Hi name is Steven and I need to get healthy!!! I am 45 years old and am a cancer survivor. I've never been overweight but that doesn't mean you're healthy. I need to lose up to 20lbs. God knows I need the support too. If I can get my mind right the body will be right too! Any and all suggestions are welcomed.

Replies

• zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    You can do this !!!
  • CH2828
    CH2828 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Your never too old for a new beginning.
  • coley1029
    coley1029 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    You've survived cancer. You're strong enough to do this! Not sure if you follow friends on here, but I find that to be most motivating. Add me if you'd like! I'm very active on here and love to have conversations and encourage people.

Also, I track every bite of food I put in my mouth. Most days, I do a great job. Some days I don't though. I just learned to stop beating myself up when I have a bad meal.

Good luck to you!
  • yanglovesmj
    yanglovesmj Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    You've said it yourself, if you can get your mind right everything is possible, a good diet kickstarts a great health. Sending you positive vibes here! All the best!
  • robertw486
    robertw486 Posts: 2,388 Member
    Options
    slcruz24 wrote: »
    Hi name is Steven and I need to get healthy!!! I am 45 years old and am a cancer survivor. I've never been overweight but that doesn't mean you're healthy. I need to lose up to 20lbs. God knows I need the support too. If I can get my mind right the body will be right too! Any and all suggestions are welcomed.

It's never too late. I'm 53 and have dropped 30+ pounds this year, along with getting back into much better shape. My cardio performance is probably in line or very close to where it was 25 years ago when I got out of the Marine Corps. My strength to weight ratio isn't there yet, but it's part of my overall goal.... to be more fit than I was 25 years ago. And I know I can do it.

As a cancer survivor, you've probably been through much more of a health challenge than most of us will ever deal with. Losing weight and getting back in shape should be easy after that.

We just went on one of the LLS walks tonight, and have been going to them for years. Hoping that the funding makes sure the rate of survivors like yourself continues to climb.
  • PrizePopple
    PrizePopple Posts: 3,133 Member
    Options
    Congrats on beating cancer! I'm 34 and started losing weight to avoid ending up diabetic. Perhaps I should have treated my body better when I was in my 20's, but it is what it is. Making a change is always a good thing regardless of your age. Good luck!
  • sunnyside1213
    sunnyside1213 Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options
    I am older than dirt, but I am never giving up.
  • slcruz24
    slcruz24 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Thank you!
  • stircrzy
    stircrzy Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Great job jumping in to healthy living! It's never too late!
  • slcruz24
    slcruz24 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Thank you
  • mrsgris11521
    mrsgris11521 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm 67, so don't think you are too old at all. :)
  • Lucille4444
    Lucille4444 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    "Am I too old to get my life back???"

That is up to you. If you talk to just about any older person, they will tell a story of challenges faced and overcome. Cancer is a big challenge, but others have faced abuse, broken marriage, prison, loss of loved ones, economic hardships, and have conquered their challenges and become happy and healthy. But some have been handed a challenge or roadblock and just fold, doomed to misery. Each of these people made a choice, you can too.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,538 Member
    Options
    I deal with people over 50 year old all the time. It's not a matter of if you're too old. It's a matter of if you really want to. And if you want to, then there's always a way to succeed. May not be the same approach when you were in your 20's, but an approach to match your age and your physical limit.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • pcrystal1020
    pcrystal1020 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    thorsmom01 wrote: »
    You can do this !!! [/quo
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    I deal with people over 50 year old all the time. It's not a matter of if you're too old. It's a matter of if you really want to. And if you want to, then there's always a way to succeed. May not be the same approach when you were in your 20's, but an approach to match your age and your physical limit.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png
    ninerbuff wrote: »

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png
  • thezannypanda
    thezannypanda Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    The only thing you are to old for is to care of what others think when you are trying to make positive movements YOU CAN DO IT RIP THAT 20 POUNDS FREAKING HEAD OFF :D

• nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    I'm in my early 40's and sick of feeling tired and beaten up all the time. I miss feeling strong and in control of my life. It improves with diet and exercise. You can do it! It's not too late :smile:
  • ms_smartypants
    ms_smartypants Posts: 8,278 Member
    Options
    Congrats on being a cancer survivor ..if you beat that you can certainly do this .....feel free to add me ..wishing you the best :)
  • sallymomff
    sallymomff Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    never too old! being on MFP is a start! figure out what your goals for "get healthy" are, remember moderation in everything so don't beat yourself up if you go off plan.So be realistic start slow then increase gradually. Try to remember the good feelings you get after you work out or have a day or two of eating the good for you foods: veggies, fruits, whole grains, lean proteins, low -fat dairy, healthy fats.
  • SumoToWarrior
    SumoToWarrior Posts: 18 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Never say never! You got this!!! You beat one of the worst things possible and you can sure as heck get your life back together, feel free to add me man! I'll be more than happy to provide any support I can :)