shin splint-need nonimpact exercise ideas

Options
I have been doing run/walk intervals for about 4 weeks (2x/ week going about 3 miles), in addition to doing Zumba twice a week. This past week I increased my running to about 75% of the run/walk interval. For the past 3 days having alot of shin pain. I am a physician so I know I need to rest the leg. I am worried that if I don't do some exercises that I will mentally loose my drive to stick with weight loss. I was thinking about eliptical. Does anybody have other ideas to burn alot of calories without impact on my leg??

Replies

• DeeJayTJ
    DeeJayTJ Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    elliptical machine!

i was running everyday for the last 2 months and eventually my knee began to hurt along with shin splint. i am now using the elliptical and burn a great amount of calories without the impact of running!
  • wiseg2
    wiseg2 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    swimming. I get a lot of pain in my knees and shins and swimming helps them feel so much better. Plus you burn a lot of calories without even noticing it.
  • gussde
    gussde Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I also get shin splints but only when walking long distances for more than one day. My elliptical doesn't seem to flare it up at all. I have also found most of the exercises in P90X to be just fine on my legs and still get a good workout. Even the intense ones like Plyometrics or jump training. I'm not sure of caloric burn on each exercise but they work. Unfortunately rest is the only option for the pain and hope it goes away in a couple days like mine does. I'll research some more exercises for shin splints and write back. Good luck!
  • gussde
    gussde Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Yes, swimming is prob the best low impact exercise and burns a lot of cals!!! Wish I still had my pool!
  • pykieprincess
    Options
    Water aerobics (classes at a gym) have been kicking my butt and burning a TON of calories. Plus when I'm done I feel better, more energized. It works just about everything - my abs, my legs, glutes, arms. Afterwards I jump into the hot tub or sauna and my body won't have the usual hurt afterwards (sore muscles the next day and such).