Do you work out when you are sick?

Options
Right now I have flu and before that I had ToM, so I feel guilty for skipping gym for 9 days in a row. Do you still exercise when sick?

Replies

• bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    If I am mildly or moderately sick only in my head and throat, I exercise, but more gently than normal. It usually helps. If I am sick in my chest or elsewhere, or if I have a terrible head cold or sinus infection, I rest.

Get well soon!
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Congested I do light cardio because it helps me breathe.

Anything else I rest. I didn't workout for most of September because I had bronchitis. It sucked but rest is what I needed then.
  • Dez11B
    Dez11B Posts: 1,542 Member
    Options
    No
  • Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    Options
    Flu? Nope. Rest is more important.
  • fi_b
    fi_b Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    For the flu? Rest, hydrate, leafy green things! If you try and work through that you may just prolong your illness which is never a great idea.
    I hope you get better soon!
  • kshannon11755
    kshannon11755 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Maybe hit the steam room or sauna, I put a little Vicks under the nose if I am stuffed up.
  • lemmie177
    lemmie177 Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    If all my symptoms are above the neck and I don't have a fever, I'll do a lighter version of my scheduled workout (I workout at home). I always workout during my ToM; I find it helpful.

If its a full-blown flu, you're probably fever-ridden and contagious. Best to rest up and recover for your sake and those at the gym. Some slow-paced walking outdoors can help with congestion once you feel up to it. +hydration
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    Any time you have a respiratory illness, you must not exercise. It is too taxing on your body to try to provide enough oxygen for you when your respiratory system is compromised, and to ask it to do more is dangerous.
  • tiptoethruthetulips
    tiptoethruthetulips Posts: 3,365 Member
    Options
    I doubt its a genuine flu you have, you wouldn't be here posting otherwise. Probably a bad cold. I will walk if a head cold, but not go to the gym, who wants to be around a snotty person. Anything respiratory I don't do any exercise.
  • WingardiumLeviosa91
    WingardiumLeviosa91 Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I doubt its a genuine flu you have, you wouldn't be here posting otherwise. Probably a bad cold. I will walk if a head cold, but not go to the gym, who wants to be around a snotty person. Anything respiratory I don't do any exercise.

Today I almost fainted when I try to make a sandwich. I don't cough, but I sneeze and my nose runs and I have fever, and my head feels like exploding.
  • valmaebel
    valmaebel Posts: 1,045 Member
    Options
    Based on the studies I've seen, they say to do the neck check. If it's above the neck, then lighten the workouts but still do them. If it's below, then you need to rest. Also if you have a fever you should not workout either. Both the latter two can lead to more problems if you push your body.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options

I don't think that even influenza will stop you from the ability to use a computer.
  • scolaris
    scolaris Posts: 2,145 Member
    Options
    I have a mild cold. I did less than usual. I expect people to follow the fitness for school rule: no fever, no vomiting, no diarrhea for a COMPLETE 24 HOURS before returning to group life. I hate working out at the gym with disgusting flu sufferers. Keep that *kitten* home please.
    When I have something wrong, my preference is to front load rest & good nutrition.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,669 Member
    Options
    Nope. Intense exercise can compromise your immune system even more taking you longer to recover from illness.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • cdudley628
    cdudley628 Posts: 547 Member
    Options
    ToM to me isn't being "sick." Sure you might not feel well, but exercise usually helps relieve my cramps and take my mind off of being miserable.
  • tincanonastring
    tincanonastring Posts: 3,944 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Currently starting my second week of no exercise because of sickness. I'm not going to lift in a weakened state as I either won't get a benefit or I could hurt myself (more concerned with the latter). My chest is still congested, so cardio is out, too. I don't feel guilty for not exercising when my body isn't capable. It's the same reason I wouldn't stick to my exercise routine if I had a broken ankle or a concussion.

ETA: You almost passed out making a sandwich and you're wondering if you should exercise? Just think about that for a second.
  • hill8570
    hill8570 Posts: 1,466 Member
    Options
    Wow. Wonder how long until we have a thread on "how many calories do I burn while bleeding out with Ebola on the elliptical?"

OP, for your sake and everyone else's, stay home, rest, and eat enough to let your immune system get some work done. The name of the game is "health and fitness", not "losing weight at all costs". If you've got the flu, you'd be a fool to go back in less than a week, more likely two.
  • Matt71Fleming
    Matt71Fleming Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    This my second week of no exercise.I had flu and done no exercise for almost a week.I started to feel better so returned to some light walking/jogging.The next day I was flat on my back with no energy feeling terrible again.Take it easy and rest when your ready you'll know it.
  • ROBOTFOOD
    ROBOTFOOD Posts: 5,527 Member
    Options
    Been several years since I was ill. But na. I'd just chill at home, eat, ps4, Netflix.
  • Soundwave79
    Soundwave79 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    For the Flu no I would rest. Regular colds like I have now yes I still workout. Amazingly I hit a new high on my squats and deads on Sunday with a sore throat, stuffy nose, and sneezing... :)