Cravings and slip ups

Options
BlackPantherChick123
BlackPantherChick123 Posts: 425 Member
edited October 2015 in Health and Weight Loss
We all get them, but I keep constantly having the same cravings everyday and can't seem to satisfy it by eating healthy foods. I'm constantly craving cheesecake and "bad" carbs but I always avoid them. I do a cheat meal at least twice a week and I already went to 2 parties and may have gone crazy on the cake (mostly the icing. I love buttercream although the it's bad and lots of calories). I have restricted "bad" sugar and carbs from my diet and even if I do have a cheat meal, it's always still something healthy and nothing bad. I'm constantly counting my calories and I aways go over a lot on cheat meals and feel guilty. Why do I keep craving these things when I don't need them and I'm just preventing myself from binging because I have done it 3x at parties but not so bad. (Feels like a binge after a workout but I always manage to eat 1 plate of food) last night I went to a birthday party and ate like 2 slices of cake (love love love buttercream icing) and when I got home (it was late) I had leftover bread pudding and my mom had an Oreo pie and I cut a huge slice. I feel so guilty from eating so much before bed and I never slipped up that bad before. If I would of avoided the cake that wouldn't have happened. Even all that sugar still doesn't satisfy my cheesecake craving or even my lemon flavored sweets cravings. What should I do? I just feel guilty and scared I'll slip up again, especially with my cravings on cheesecake and bad foods. I hate going overboard my own calorie counting intake but I do workout a lot and I should eat more and be happy to try to eat some of this stuff but I always feel guilty afterwards. What should I do? I keep craving all these things but scared to give in and might end up binging Please help

Replies

• Bxqtie116
    Bxqtie116 Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    If your body is craving a particular food, then eat it and move on. You're trying to not eat cheesecake but instead trying to fulfill that craving in other sweets which in turn increases your sugar and calorie content. Once you satisfy whatever it is your body is wanting, that craving will go away.
  • BlackPantherChick123
    Options
    I just feel like binging on my cravings when I'm trying to avoid binges because I didn't spend months for nothing trying to get to my goal and figure and scared I'll lead into bad habits again. (Gained weight through excessive eating yet overtraining in the end and still put on weight, because I just didn't count the calories because l burned 3500-6500 calories on the treadmill everyday constantly (4-7 hours on the treadmill everyday) but changed that by changing my diet and workout routine and lost a lot of weight but scared to slip up again)
  • MarcyKirkton
    MarcyKirkton Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    I eat healthy meal first. Nearly always, I was just plain hungry and ready to eat. Once I have eaten, I can then really see if its a craving for real or just plain was hungry.

Sometimes I still have the cake! :)
  • Bxqtie116
    Options
    I understand where you're coming from. I had a sugar addiction and broke through it. I still eat the things I love but I do so in moderation. If I want a cookie, I'll eat it. I'll limit myself to one or two as opposed to 5-6 that I used to eat. Once I satisfy that need it goes away. Continue to eat healthier and continue to workout but allow yourself to enjoy the "bad" foods when you crave it but do it in moderation. Make sure you log it so you can still fit those foods in your daily allowance.
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    Let me preface this by saying I understand that there's a difference in the way the body processes different foods. However, it isn't necessarily beneficial to divide food into good or bad categories. It's just food. If you crave the taste and texture of cheesecake, have some! Or maybe some cheesecake yogurt would fill the craving. It just sounds to me like you're doing more harm trough denying yourself something than you would by simply making room for it in your daily plan.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Is 4 pounds all you have to lose? You may be overreacting a bit. You shouldn't worry so much about eating goodies. Words like guilty, bad, cheat, scared, crazy, slip up, are not words associated with love of food. Describe the healthy foods you are eating? How many calories are you aiming for per day, and how many calories of ordinary food (not cake, chocolate, ice cream etc) are you actually eating?
  • MarcyKirkton
    Options
    Well, cravings aside.......if I'm hungry and there's cookies and I try to eat "just 2," I can guarantee you, that won't work.

What works for me is what mamma taught me. Eat my veggies first.
  • TracyeS4
    TracyeS4 Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    Buy the sweet treats that you like in the pre-portioned containers. Smart Ones has some ice cream and cakes that are portioned out for you. Allow yourself a sweet treat each night... I do. Just fit it into your calorie goals. Don't beat yourself up! Do the best you can and focus on being healthy.

It may be a good idea to talk to a counselor. Some of the things you said are the same things I heard from my husband as he was developing an eating disorder. Even if you aren't, it never hurts to talk to someone.

• BlackPantherChick123
    Options
    I probably lost the last 4 pounds (turns out it was water weight) but even cheesecake flavored things don't satisfy me. I eat lots of protein and fiber a day. Tuna, yogurt, fruit and vegetables, no bread, fiber one bars, egg whites, stuff like that. Gets boring eating the same things everyday. I do eat salad everyday with 0 calorie dressing or get a salad from Newks (chicken Caesar with raspberry vinigrette) how many I eat in moderation. I haven't exactly built that in. Can you explain to me how I can do that? I try to give myself 1 cheat me 1-2 times a week and still exercise it off but sometimes I have to miss a workout because I might eat it at a later time.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    I probably lost the last 4 pounds (turns out it was water weight) but even cheesecake flavored things don't satisfy me. I eat lots of protein and fiber a day. Tuna, yogurt, fruit and vegetables, no bread, fiber one bars, egg whites, stuff like that. Gets boring eating the same things everyday. I do eat salad everyday with 0 calorie dressing or get a salad from Newks (chicken Caesar with raspberry vinigrette) how many I eat in moderation. I haven't exactly built that in. Can you explain to me how I can do that? I try to give myself 1 cheat me 1-2 times a week and still exercise it off but sometimes I have to miss a workout because I might eat it at a later time.

What I suspected. You are eating boring and lowfat food you don't even like. Aim for variety. Eat something from every food group every day. Have bread if you like it. Add butter. Olive oil in the salad dressing, important to absorb nutrients from the vegetables. Whole eggs, not just the whites. Go easy on the bars, try to eat mostly food. Whatever you do eat, just log everything and try to stick to your calorie goal, every day, or at least most days. Eat food you like at every meal, and then you won't feel the need to cheat. The 80/20 rule can be good for you - eat real, wholesome foods for 80% of your calories, and let up to 20% be whatever you fancy at the moment.

I didn't understand your last sentence, but meal timing is not that important, may be for satiety and energy, but will no affect weight per se.
  • BlackPantherChick123
    Options
    It's just kinda hard to enjoy foods like pizza, burgers, pasta, bc I have to limit to like 1 slice, small portion of a burger or pasta bc of the calorie content which bothers me. Call me crazy I know. It's like being ocd over calories. It's stupid and stressful for me. And what does it mean if you keep dreaming of the foods you craving constantly? I find myself dreaming of food now.
  • Bxqtie116
    Options
    You can still enjoy those foods but change it up to make them healthier. Make the pizza with veggies, a thin crust and maybe low fat cheese. The burger can be a turkey burger with a whole wheat bun and your pasta can be made from whole wheat or tri color which is made from veggies. There's always a healthier way you can make your favorite foods that would be lower in calories. Don't deny yourself the things you enjoy. Life is too short to be limited in the things you like.
  • BlackPantherChick123
    Options
    Problem is eating out when u want it.
  • rankinsect
    rankinsect Posts: 2,238 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    It's just kinda hard to enjoy foods like pizza, burgers, pasta, bc I have to limit to like 1 slice, small portion of a burger or pasta bc of the calorie content which bothers me. Call me crazy I know. It's like being ocd over calories. It's stupid and stressful for me. And what does it mean if you keep dreaming of the foods you craving constantly? I find myself dreaming of food now.

Fit pizza and burgers into the calories you have. Maybe that means making other meals smaller, or in burning more calories than usual that day.

I am eating at about 1800 now and I have burgers and pizza regularly. I just plan them into my meals. Maybe you can try what I do - I plan my meals for the next day in advance, and always have food I enjoy. Today I'll have two burgers for dinner. No guilt about calories because I planned the day and fit the burgers into my goal.

I don't ever do cheat days or cheat meals (except holidays, and I still try to eat in moderation). I simply work the food I would want to cheat on into my normal diet. If I won't give up a food for life, I won't give it up for a diet.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,487 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you are eating a low calorie (1200) diet.
    Could you eat more and still maintain?
    What is your weight?
    Calorie goal?
    Height?
    Age?
    Exercise level?
    MFP's activity level?
    Could you open your diary?

You may be over restricting yourself. Think about talking to a therapist or dietitian about your attitude towards food.
    Cheers, h.
  • BlackPantherChick123
    Options
    I get lazy putting my calories in. Some idk what the calories are bc today my dad cooked lunch. And the reason y I'm scared to eat food when we go out is because sometimes my parents plan it unexpectedly and I could probably already ate and can't eat what I want when we go out unless it's the following day. But the restaurants we might go at have high in calories and I have trouble only eating half of my meals because I always like to finish it although I should just eat half for lunch and rest for supper. A lot of the times if I feel like I overeat, I overtrain (spend 2.5 hours on the treadmill and burn a pound. Using an inclined treadmill with an incline of 30 and speed of 3.8) I only do that if I feel like I overate. Usually spend an hour and burn 2000-2500 which is bad. It's so complicated and it stresses me out. Hate calories and feel like I can't make room for foods I like and the foods I eat are so boring. I need help...no doubt
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,487 Member
    Options
    Please, find someone in real life who can help you. We are a bunch of unprofessional strangers on the Internet.
    Talk to your doctor to get a referral to a dietician or therapist.

If you have problems with food and exercising counting calories may not be for you at this moment in time.
    Cheers, h.
  • MarcyKirkton
    Options
    Can you lose less a week at a higher amount of calories? Just what I'm reading, I'd just say you're too hungry. BTW, I relate to the "why bother" if I can only have "just one" mindset.

People who can truly eat just 2 cookies are flat-out annoying to me. lol
  • BlackPantherChick123
    Options
    I hate calories...y can't we enjoy the same foods but they have no calories or super low? I no u can make healthier versions but it's not the same. Don't get me wrong I love healthier versions, taste good but sometimes I just wish the real thing didn't have calories. I love rich food and all but hate the fat and calories. Calorie counting really sucks.
  • bakemma
    bakemma Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    My 2 cents, not professional in any way, when I want something really bad I'll have some. 1 serving, less than 300 cals, however it works out, and then I put it out of my mind. If I still continue to want it or I know I'm going to eat tons I'll get rid of it completely from the house and avoid going to places I know that its going to be ( i.e. Cheesecake and the Cheesecake Factory) Lastly, the more I eat of something, the more I will crave it, sometimes I just have to quit things cold turkey and avoid it completely for a few weeks and I don't have to fight the craving anymore. Good luck with your weight loss journey!