Splenda?

Options
lalalalalaurie
lalalalalaurie Posts: 80 Member
edited October 2015 in Food and Nutrition
What are your thoughts?

Innocent and zero calories? Secretly nefarious?

Better to have regular sweeteners?

There are many dissenters to fake sweetener and I haven't ignored it, but I love sweetness to my coffee and other things and I keep using it regardless.

My husband fears it and uses sugar instead, but sugar has calories and insulin response.

So confused. Your thoughts?

Replies

• nickatine
    nickatine Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    I put it in my coffee, sucralose is in the protein powder I use, the Kool aid water enhancer I drink. It does not bother me, or hinder my weight. Aspartame however gives me headaches sometimes.
  • Pawsforme
    Pawsforme Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    I use it in my coffee and tea. It doesn't worry me or bother me in the least.

I have a friend whose elderly mother uses "the pink stuff" and has for many decades. She says if it's bad she should have been dead long ago. LOL.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    I use it everyday and love it.
  • annette_15
    annette_15 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »

What he said
  • lalalalalaurie
    Options
    Pawsforme wrote: »
    I use it in my coffee and tea. It doesn't worry me or bother me in the least.

I have a friend whose elderly mother uses "the pink stuff" and has for many decades. She says if it's bad she should have been dead long ago. LOL.

That's really a good point. :D

I would never eat the pink stuff because I can taste it and to me, it tastes horrid.
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    If you do the research you will discover that Splenda is a poison (contains chlorine). It kills the good
    protective bacteria in your gut. The only safe sweetener is Stevia. Live Long and Prosper. :)
  • healthygreek
    healthygreek Posts: 2,137 Member
    Options
    Pink=yuck
    I use stevia primarily and Splenda when stevia isn't available.
    None have affected my health in a negative way.
  • CardiLuxe
    CardiLuxe Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I use it once in a while for coffee and lemon water. I don't have any problems with loss!
  • booksandchocolate12
    booksandchocolate12 Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    Pink=yuck
    I use stevia primarily and Splenda when stevia isn't available.
    None have affected my health in a negative way.

^^This is me.

My mother-in-law uses the pink stuff. She's the only person I know who does. My husband and I were at a restaurant recently and all they had on the table was sugar and sweet and low. I said, "Are they expecting your mother?"
  • ZeroTX
    ZeroTX Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I like Sweet N Low in iced tea. The other sweeteners don't taste good in it to me. In coffee, I prefer Equal or Splenda or some natural sugar, but that's calories... so....
  • abacus93jp
    abacus93jp Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I have used Sweet N Low, Equal, Splenda and diet drinks for years and years with no ill effects that I know of until about two years ago. I started falling asleep all of the time, even driving. My husband did some research and found that this could be from all of the artificial sweeteners. I stopped everything and within a few weeks the sleepiness stopped. I added stevia for sweetener and have not had a problem since. Coincidence?
  • rankinsect
    rankinsect Posts: 2,238 Member
    Options
    I use lots of artificial sweeteners, no ill effects. I'd trust them (and their higher burden of proof for FDA approval) over many "natural" products that don't have to be specifically proven safe.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    abacus93jp wrote: »
    I have used Sweet N Low, Equal, Splenda and diet drinks for years and years with no ill effects that I know of until about two years ago. I started falling asleep all of the time, even driving. My husband did some research and found that this could be from all of the artificial sweeteners. I stopped everything and within a few weeks the sleepiness stopped. I added stevia for sweetener and have not had a problem since. Coincidence?

Yep, coincidence
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    I use Splenda only if I have forgotten to refill the Truvia packets I usually carry with me. And then whatever is in zero calorie drinks.
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    I buy granulated Splenda by the giant bag. It goes in coffee and tea, on strawberries and grapefruit. I've used it in pumpkin custard and in the dressing for a broccoli salad. I don't believe it has affected my health in any way.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,996 Member
    Options
    I don't use it but I agree with those who say it is fine to use, if you want to.
  • zcb94
    zcb94 Posts: 3,679 Member
    Options
    annette_15 wrote: »
    queenliz99 wrote: »

What he said
    +1
  • MarlyIc1
    MarlyIc1 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I use honey, maple syrup or coconut sugar. Never been a big fan of artificial sweeteners, not even the supposedly healthy one, stevia.
  • lalalalalaurie
    Options
    MarlyIc1 wrote: »
    I use honey, maple syrup or coconut sugar. Never been a big fan of artificial sweeteners, not even the supposedly healthy one, stevia.

Stevia tastes bad to me in most cases. I have had a few brands that are a bit better tasting, but I don't know what to think of it. It's processed and doesn't have any approval process.

I also use coconut sugar, it just doesn't taste the same as sugar though, but it can be fitting for some foods.