Lifting woes

Options
bioklutz
bioklutz Posts: 1,365 Member
Since January I have been lifting 3 times a week (NROLFL). 3-4 times a week I use a stationary bike for 30 minutes. This current run through NROLFL has been really rough. I increased weights and it is just wiping me out. I have been unable to do the number of sets written in the program. Phase two calls for 2-4x10. I lift 4x10 and then really struggle to do another 10. It feels like my tank is empty.

So I have gone through a variety of emotions about this. I was really angry and disappointed with myself. I felt like a failure. Now that I am over being hurt, I am ready to learn from this. So after doing a little research and going back to read part of the book it mentions advanced lifters can lower the number of reps and sets. I am not an advanced lifter but I clearly can not run through this program as written unless I lower how much weight I am lifting.

I need a little bit of help understanding what exactly the number of sets/reps does for a person. NROLFL has 3 phases. The first phase is 2x15, second phase is 2-4x10 and third phase is 2-3x12. Each phase has an A&B workout that are done 4 times.

If I lowered the sets and reps to the following would this still help me achieve my goals:
Phase 1: 2x12
Phase 2: 6x8
Phase 3: 4x10

These are my goals:
-I don't want getting older to suck!
-Continue to lift to maintain bone density and have enough strength for things I may need to lift while living my life.
-Maintain and possible gain a little muscle mass.
-(This is a vanity goal and not as important) To lose a little more body fat while maintaining my weight. Above my waist I am very lean. My thighs and butt finally starting to change but it has been slow going. Once these areas lean out I think I would like to gain 5 pounds and reevaluate what I would like to do.

Replies

• jjsilcox96
    jjsilcox96 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    That will work or you can lower the weight a little bit. Are you getting enough recovery time between sets
  • Sweet_Heresy
    Sweet_Heresy Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    What's your height/weight and how many calories do you eat?

Personally, I feel wiped at the gym when I cut my calories too low.
  • bioklutz
    Options
    jjsilcox96 wrote: »
    That will work or you can lower the weight a little bit. Are you getting enough recovery time between sets

I believe I am. Typically I rest 1-3 minutes between sets. This time around between the 4th and 5th set I am probably resting closer to 5 minutes...
    What's your height/weight and how many calories do you eat?

Personally, I feel wiped at the gym when I cut my calories too low.

I am not in a calorie deficit - I am eating at maintenance. I am 5'0" around 100 pounds and I eat about 2000 calories a day.

I really would prefer to decrease the reps/sets (vs. decreasing the amount I am lifting) but am a little nervous about not following the program as it is written.
  • armylife
    armylife Posts: 196 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    It will depend on your goals if you should lower the weight or change the sets and reps. Your goals are not really clearly defined; you want to lose body fat, maybe gain some muscle, maintain strength, and possibly gain 5 pounds in the future. You are attempting a recomp which means that adding any muscle will take time, particularly since you don't have the caloric surplus to do it quickly. Keeping the weight the same and lowering the volume could help to maintain your strength levels but will lower the volume makes muscle gain even harder.

The reason the program says advanced lifters can play with the reps and sets is because there is an assumption that by reaching the level of an advanced lifter you know what works for your body, and your training weight would generally be too high to properly recover between that number of sets and reps. With you saying that you want to sacrifice volume over weight it sounds like you are starting too heavy and not allowing room to add weight in the program as you advance.
  • jjsilcox96
    Options
    How much did you increase your weight you cam switch the routine around. To fit your needs but you should stay between 8 to12 reps I would rest between 3-5 minutes between. Sets to get the most recovery can you ask someone to spot for you most guys or girls are more than willing to help
  • jjsilcox96
    Options
    If you want to do less reps add more sets to make up for it say do 8 reps for five sets
  • bioklutz
    Options
    All right. I am slightly embarrassed to post these numbers as they seem pitiful compared to what some people lift. But damn - sometimes I curl up in the fetal position after working out and try not to cry - it feels heavy to me!

Lat pull-down: 90 lbs. (from 80)
    Dumbbell two point row: 22 lbs (from 15)
    Romanian Deadlift: 60 lbs. (from 44)
    Single-leg romanian deadlift: 22 lbs (from 15)
    Dumbbell bench press: 22 lbs. (from 15)
    Pushups: not elevated (from elevated)
    Lunge and squats I did not increase the weight this time around. I am trying different variations.

I work out at home and with the weights I have this is the smallest increase I could do.
  • DawnEmbers
    DawnEmbers Posts: 2,451 Member
    Options
    Look like good numbers to me. Everyone is different, so don't worry about how they compare. Your lat pull-down is much more than mine actually. :wink: I've gotten up to 70 for 8 rep sets but it feels heavy. Though I don't follow NROLFW anymore and never had the other books. Have you tried checking out the NROLFW group here on MFP? We have a forum post to check in with workouts and lots of posts from previous attempts where people have talked about struggles with different lifts and increases. Some have also done other programs in the NROL set, so might have insight on the way the different programs are And some who veered from the "routine" a little too.
  • jjsilcox96
    Options
    It looks like you took a to big of a jump move your weights down 5 pound don't worry about your weight your not competing with anyone but you. U should bump your 5 pounds at a time for descent progress 5 pounds don't sound like much until your under the bar but it don't hurt to try heavier weight then you know where you stand don't be afraid to fail then learn from it and when go to the act like you own it
  • bioklutz
    Options
    I will have to purchase a couple of 5's to fill the gaps. Thanks for your input everyone!
  • jjsilcox96
    Options
    Your welcome
  • Lucille4444
    Lucille4444 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    bioklutz wrote: »
    but am a little nervous about not following the program as it is written.

It's not the Ten Commandments. It is OK to be a little flexible, we aren't all the same.