Heart palpitations still 3 days later after high dose of caffeine

Options

Replies

• jennifer8989
    jennifer8989 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    5 days later and I'm still dealing with the sinus tachycardia everytime I get up I have to move slow heart rate shoots to 120's today while doing things like cleaning 140,s -150,s max doing my hair etc. This all started after that pre workout dose . The out of breath feeling when it goes up . I would have experienced that in the gym walking in the park I do so much I know I would have noticed to the point of having to stop you know . They say it's one of those things that would wear off with time . I'm just wondering how long and praying that it does .! My heart is pretty damn healthy I've had my heart valves heart all looked at before I believe 2012/2013 everything came back perfect .plus all the rest they've ran everything's been normal .
  • Jennloella
    Jennloella Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    you're probably freaking yourself out. caffeine only stays in the body for 9 hours max. You had a scare and now I bet you're giving yourself little anxiety attacks. Happens to lots of people all the time. Some people are sensitive to it
  • jennifer8989
    Options
    Btw I have a follow up tomorrow morning with my doctor I'll keep you guys posted ❤️
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    @jennifer8989 I must say it can't be fun to be a "cautionary tale". I hope your heart calms down soon.
  • jennifer8989
    Options
    Thanks so much everyone ❤️

No caffeine for me it's been hard but I learned my lesson .

I thought that too I don't know exactly how anxiety feels . I find myself calm with the thought constantly in my head especially when I'm checking my heart rate .
  • starwhisperer6
    starwhisperer6 Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    Sounds like panic attacks I have had in the past. Not that the caffeine part wasn't the main problem, but once it has freaked you out panic can continue the cycle
  • jennifer8989
    Options
    I believe that could be a possibility I pretty much freak when it comes to anything that has to do with health . I'll bring that up with the doctors tomorrow as well thank you . ❤️
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Options
    It'll be important whether you feel anxious or not, I think. Yours sounds a lot like mine (but my resting pulse got to like 120!), but I wasn't feeling anxious. I felt tired or something... I had exercise intolerance which was really odd for me. I expected it to be a thyroid thing, but that bloodwork was great, too.

Mine is just an autonomic nervous system glitch (I have migraines, etc, too), and they don't know exactly what causes it. I do probably have Ehlers-Danlos, so it might be that. Dunno. But the beta blockers fix the pulse and palpitations completely, and exercise and everything feels great again on the beta blocker. My pulse is really low now ;)

I've had EKGs a bunch of times since, because I also have GERD, so every time my heartburn gets bad they have to do one, lol, My heart is great. So don't worry even if it doesn't stop. The palpitations can be completely benign. I know they feel really scary, but try not to worry and keep following up with your doc, yeah.

Oh, I was anemic, too. My CBCs had shown anemia for a while, and my hemoglobin did get low. So maybe look at your results and see if you have an iron thing going on or anything, too (doctors don't always think it's a big deal early on). That can definitely cause palpitations. I do take Rx iron now, and my hemoglobin is great again, too. Mine was just from my ToM and diet. Good luck!
  • jennifer8989
    Options
    Hey everyone so I went today and basically they told me I'm dehydrated . I don't understand I have most of the symptoms except dark urine it's dark in the morning but as I drink water throughout the day I'm fine except for the thirst etc . Glucose is all good . Idk I'm really questioning the dehydration diagnoses . I was giving two iv fluids in a one week span... plus I drank almost 2 gallons . This Doesn't make sense ...but I do feel some what better when drinking it ...Except my mouth keeps drying and I keep craving more water . Let's see if I'm not back to normal in a few days back to my doctor I go
  • jennifer8989
    Options
    Hey everyone so I went today and basically they told me I'm dehydrated . I don't understand I have most of the symptoms except dark urine it's dark in the morning but as I drink water throughout the day I'm fine except for the thirst etc . Glucose is all good . Idk I'm really questioning the dehydration diagnoses . I was giving two iv fluids in a one week span... plus I drank almost 2 gallons . This Doesn't make sense ...but I do feel some what better when drinking it ...Except my mouth keeps drying and I keep craving more water . Let's see if I'm not back to normal in a few days back to my doctor I go
  • jgnatca
    Options
    When hubby was getting used to his puffers for asthma, he overdosed one day, taking a dozen of one puffer in the course of a few hours. He got an incurable case of the hiccups that took three visits to the emergency over the weekend until he got relief. Lesson learned.

Know what you're taking, don't overdose.

I think your medical care team, @jennifer8989 , is taking care of the most obvious symptoms first. Maybe get your blood sugar checked too. Uncontrolled diabetes comes with uncontrolled thirst.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    caffeine is bad... it really is..... bad...water water water....
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    The half life of caffeine is 4 -6 hours. Depending on the amount ingested at a one time dose or given subsequent doses there after, I presume that you may have some toxicity still in your blood and maybe your liver. Also if you have taken caffeine on a regular basis and just stopped, you may have been detoxing from caffeine for the past several days.

Instead of just drinking the water, may drink some Pedialight, or gatorade (something like this with no caffeine). The is can help with balancing out the electrolytes, sodium, etc.. instead of just watering down your body with water.
  • farfromthetree
    farfromthetree Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    Jennifer, make sure you see a cardiologist, not just a family doctor
  • jennifer8989
    Options
    @gia07 your totally correct the doctor did suggest Gatorade along with water .
  • jennifer8989
    Options
    A cardiologist is my next bet if this doesn't subside .:/
  • jennifer8989
    Options
    Thank you all for your help, advice and experiences. I truly appreciate it . ❤️
  • jennifer8989
    Options
    Well it's now been 9 days since I've took the preworkout . I have done what the doctor said since Friday I've drank 3 gallons of water and 2 Gatorade bottles .....

Drinking Gatorade helped me feel better . The last two days I wasn't having spikes. I'll get up walk around the highest I got was 111 and 109 . I was able to see an improvement I even went to a few stores walked around perfectly fine .today no Gatorade really I drank the last bit I had but still drinking water . Not overdoing it though my urine is clear .

The spikes started 120,s 130,s sometimes 140,s . I also notice when my heart rate is higher like my chest feel tense you know like the muscles are achy on my right side near my breast it radiates in form of like an n to the center right .

My abdomen upper mid area feels full almost causing me to feel shortness of breath even light headed at times . Again this all started after the preworkout. The muscles aches maybe a day before I remember really being stressed out . I'm not sure if these are bouts of anxiety or what . I'm calm yet paranoid in my mind at the same time so I can't tell . I called my doctors again today told them it's still happening I have to go in for a second follow up ! Just to then be referred to a cardiologist . I'm wondering if an ingredient from the preworkout caused something to go out of wack . ?

No it's not a heart attack I've been tested twice in many ways for that as well as clots thyroids Gloucese

I'll I've got was sinus tachycardia with no real cause that it should go away on its own .

Please if anyone out there has a similar experience please share .❤️
  • jennifer8989
    Options
    I wasn't clear all symptoms started after the preworkout except the achy muscle im honestly not sure if it would even be related .
  • jgnatca
    Options
    Since you started to feel better with the Gatorade, perhaps have a few more. Or you could switch to Gastrolyte in water which tastes nasty but it doesn't have the added sugar. Sorry, that's all I've got today.