Zumba calorie burn

Options
So I did an hour of Zumba this morning, and mfp wants to log the hour as well over 700 calories burned. I only logged about half an hour, as that seems like way more burn than you actually get. I mean, I go all in in fitness clsses, but I have a hard time believing that Zumba burns buco calories. What do you think?

Replies

• codycsweet
    codycsweet Posts: 1,019 Member
    Options
    Depends for me I burn anywhere from 450-650 calories it depends on the instructor. My higher intense instructors push me harder then my Saturday instructor is more laid back lots of fun and just what I need after a long week at work.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    700 for an hour seems extremely high. I think you made a good choice to only log 1/2.
  • antennachick
    antennachick Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    Every zumba class is different, however I find 700 way too high. I would think logging around 350 would be better but depends on how intense the class
  • Syriene79
    Syriene79 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    You could use the calorie calculators and put in a custom workout instead. Might be more accurate.
    They are mentioned here
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1275400/calculators
  • antennachick
    antennachick Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    Or you could keep an hour (so you have a good idea of how long you're working out) and hand-modify the calorie counts. I never understand why people would cut their time in half instead of just cutting the calories in half.
    probably because if you use fitness pal data base then it figures your calories based on how long you exercise...yes you can just figure out your own calories by "creating a exercise" but eithier way as long as you arent over estimating and eatting back all your calories you are find.

• niniundlapin
    niniundlapin Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    I've been to some Zumba classes where the instructors are the craziest dancers who'd like you to dance your %$&^ out: non-stopping fast beat music for the entire hour (or 50 min). That I think I might have burned around 650 kcal. But for all the other Zumba classes with most songs are slow to moderate tempo (or even moderate to fast, not as bad-*kitten*), I think 300-350 kcal would be the max for the same length of time. OP I'd do the same (cut it into half) and make note saying it's actually an hour. :smile: