Mama Bear storms Florida beach & other reasons to get in shape!

Options
Running our local dogs allowed beach today, as we do twice a week for a good 3-4 miles.
Me, my husband and our black lab.
Two big dogs we didn't recognize were off leash and started running toward us. When they were about 10 feet from us, I quickly said to my husband this doesn't look good.
In a flash they both attacked our dog.
My husband and I both lunged to protect her and being th lab she is she ran fast into the surf with the two dogs ( big bull dogs of some kind) right behind her.
My husband and I flew behind them, fully clothed, iPhones, car keys and my husbands wallet on us.
Somehow, I don't know how, because the surf was rough because this time of year our beaches are windy, I grabbed one by the collar and my husband grabbed the other one by the rump and we pulled them off our dog. About that time the owners of the dogs, came running from the sea grass toward their dogs.
It goes without saying that my husband and I were pumped. The adrenaline was surging and we let lose with a stream of foul language to the owners, who couldn't say a word since there is signage at entrance saying all dogs must be leashed and no vicious dogs allowed.
They leashed their dogs and retreated and we went to work making sure our dog was Ok and didn't need a trip to the vet.
There was a family a few yards down the beach and the parents came running over to ask if we were OK. The husband said that our reaction was like when his child fell off a dock and nearly drowned, that he was in the water with in a millsecond and pulled him out.
We had a good laugh because the father was about 25 or so and I'm 54 and my husband is 63. The wife joked, don't let us interrupt your jog, it's obvious it's kept you both in shape,
We left talking about in the car that while we exercise to feel good and keep our weight in check, being in shape is truly about Sooo much more than vanity pounds.

Keeping this in my thoughts as I run, lift, stretch and burn those calories from this point on.
What are your reasons for working out?

Replies

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Loved your story! I exercise because it makes happy and makes me feel young.
  • frankiesgirlie
    frankiesgirlie Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    Thank you for your reply! I love it!
  • HippySkoppy
    HippySkoppy Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    Wow that experience sounds just awful......great that you were there and able to act so swiftly and decisively to defend your dog....

I exercise in my own limited way to keep limber and try to maintain what muscle and bone strength I still have since breaking my back last year and finding out I have osteoporosis.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing
  • frankiesgirlie
    Options
    Thank you for your posts!!
  • healthygreek
    healthygreek Posts: 2,137 Member
    Options
    I'm glad it all turned out ok!
    Me (62) and my husband (66) keep in shape to feel good, look good to each other and have lots of physical fun with our granddaughters, ages 2 and 9!
  • frankiesgirlie
    Options

I'm glad it all turned out ok!
    Me (62) and my husband (66) keep in shape to feel good, look good to each other and have lots of physical fun with our granddaughters, ages 2 and 9!

That looking good to each other is a big one!
    Not to mention the grand kiddies!

• IdLikeToLoseItLoseIt
    Options
    Scary, glad your fur baby is okay!
  • frankiesgirlie
    Options
    Thank you my friend!!
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,196 Member
    Options
    Sadly, this is a very common experience. Hate hate HATE it when irresponsible dog owners let their pets off leash at the beach.

I used to live on the coast and I was chased and bitten so many times that it is ridiculous. Carry pepper spray--and a big rock in your pocket.
  • frankiesgirlie
    Options
    It is sad. And it's every bit the owners fault. Funny thing is , my husband carries a stick, like a piece of petrified wood, but because of the waves when he went to swing at the one dog he missed. We don't want to be in a position to hit a dog, we LOVE dogs, but the idiot owners put us in a position to protect our fur baby.
  • CoffeeNCardio
    CoffeeNCardio Posts: 1,847 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Full-auto............... That's what you need.

Umbrellas that is. It's a VERY useful tactic in stopping a dog charging you. Wait til dog is about 8-10 feet away, let the fully-automatic (single button, opens all the way without second button or push) umbrella open, point facing the dog. It's enough to scare the crap out of them because it's very sudden, but it won't hurt them, and that moment of hesitation is all one needs to either wait for the owner, or take a dominant position and let the dog know very LOUDLY you are not to be ****ed with. Used to have this problem with dogs attacking my tiny tiny corgi/border collie mix at the park, and she's a total pushover. $10 gas station umbrella and not a single issue since.
  • CoffeeNCardio
    Options
    The dog has no idea the umbrella is not an offensive weapon intended to kill/maim it, or an extension of your now much more intimidating body. Dogs charge because, even well trained, dogs are subject first and foremost to instinct. So it's not that they won't stop, it's that they really can't. The full auto umbrella suddenly swooping out directly at them is sometimes (in my experience MOST times) more than enough to shock the dog out of that zone they get in so not only do they rethink what they were doing, but decide against it upon further reflection:):):)
  • CoffeeNCardio
    Options
    That said, congrats on your weight loss and your continued health and fitness! I couldn't even lift a big dog right now! You inspire me!
  • _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,642 Member
    Options
    Dang...I thought this thread was about actual black bear, which are making a triumphant comeback in the SE US.
  • frankiesgirlie
    Options
    clgaram720 wrote: »
    The dog has no idea the umbrella is not an offensive weapon intended to kill/maim it, or an extension of your now much more intimidating body. Dogs charge because, even well trained, dogs are subject first and foremost to instinct. So it's not that they won't stop, it's that they really can't. The full auto umbrella suddenly swooping out directly at them is sometimes (in my experience MOST times) more than enough to shock the dog out of that zone they get in so not only do they rethink what they were doing, but decide against it upon further reflection:):):)

Wow! That is quite brilliant! I would have never thought of that. We were going to pet smart tomorrow to see what we can find. We're off to the beach again in the morning and I know we have a least one of those push button jobbies in the house. Thank you so much!
  • frankiesgirlie
    Options
    That said, congrats on your weight loss and your continued health and fitness! I couldn't even lift a big dog right now! You inspire me!

Thank you, very kind if you, but I think I was running on adrenaline.
  • frankiesgirlie
    Options
    _John_ wrote: »
    Dang...I thought this thread was about actual black bear, which are making a triumphant comeback in the SE US.

Oops! So sorry John. We have wild cats or Cougars in our neighborhood, even a wild boar or 2. Oh and we have the most beautiful big Sandhill cranes that mate for life. But no black bears that I know of
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    Great story! I'm glad you guys and the doggies are okay.
  • CoffeeNCardio
    Options

Wow! That is quite brilliant! I would have never thought of that. We were going to pet smart tomorrow to see what we can find. We're off to the beach again in the morning and I know we have a least one of those push button jobbies in the house. Thank you so much!

Of course:) I'm all about finding non violent ways to deal with stuff. Obviously you HAD to pull those dogs off your fur baby, I'm so not calling you violent, or anyone else for that matter, you have to do what you have to do in the moment, just thought I'd offer an alternative most people don't go "oh dogs charging me.......yep, umbrella". It's just not the first thing to spring to mind. So I thought it'd be cool to share :) It wasn't my idea, the advanced dog training instructor taught us