Hypoglycemia and food

Options
I need some suggestions on how to control my symptoms. What kind of food and when to eat. Very confused and feeling very sick!

Replies

• nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I used to experience mild reactive hypoglycemia. My BG jumped from a 6 to a 9 something after a glucose drink and then dropped past that, into the 4's before they made me eat (in an OGTT). I used to get the shakes a couple of hours after eating so I ate every two hours.... It was a band-aid solution for me.

Now I eat a low carb high fat diet and I don't get blood glucose swings anymore. Hypoglycemia has become a non-issue for me.

If LCHF interests you, I recommend looking into Atkins. I also recommend Dr Bernstein's Diabetes Solution book. Those with reactive hypoglycemia often have insulin resistance so his LCHF approach can help.

If you don't want to try LCHF, eating protein and fat with all carbs, and moderating your carbs, should help somewhat.

Best wishes.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I definitely tend toward reactive hypoglycemia. Following a low glycemic load diet was the answer for me.
    I removed sodas.
    Then I cut out pastries and candy.
    Then cut way way back on refined carbs (cereals, white bread etc.)

Focus on nutrient dense, fiber rich carbs.
    And keep an eye out for hidden sugars.

Good luck!

The South Beach Diet is based around the idea of keeping your blood sugars under control. The first book is a quick read, and their list of foods to enjoy is a good starting point.
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    See if your doctor can recommend a nutritionist. I had a friend who was hypoglycemic. He had to eat every 3 to 4 hours or he would not feel well.
  • nvmomketo
    Options
    If you are going to see a professional, I would go for the registered dietician. Nutritionist are not all created equal.
  • Kullerva
    Kullerva Posts: 1,114 Member
    Options
    Everyone else's advice is great. I get mild symptoms (worse if I don't eat for 4-5 hours) and here's how I generally keep them from bugging me between meals.

Breakfast 5:30 (low sugar, high-ish carb or protein)
    Snack 1 9:00 (fruit--high fructose, sugar spike to help with the onset of symptoms)
    Snack 2 10:30 (protein--jerky or cheese to cut back on hunger/bolster me before lunch)
    Lunch 11:30 (protein-heavy, some low-glycemic index sugar)

I don't have as many issues in the afternoon because I eat dinner early. I would see a dietician to help with your specific eating patterns. It took me a long time to medicate this by myself.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    I am reactive hypo, and I had some issues a few years ago, and I found some interesting things that were contrary to what doctors were telling me. The few months before the issues started, I tried going relatively low carb. Then my symptoms started, getting shake, hot, couldn't concentrate, etc. It was happening daily. I started tracking my blood sugars, and they were typically around 50 and never spiked high.

Unfortunately I was sent to an endocrinologist who treated me like a diabetic, so I had to test my blood sugar every time before I drove and ensure it was above 90. Which essentially made me eat all the time. I'd have a snack before going to the grocery store, and before I left the store, my blood sugar was low again. I ate ALL THE TIME, and it really just made things worse.

Finally went to a general doctor, who said I was doing everything wrong. While the advice from the endo makes sense for diabetics (who can have their blood sugar plummet quickly), it makes no sense for someone who is otherwise healthy. She suggested that I focus on low glycemic load carbs, and try to eat often enough that I don't get hungry.

I've been experimenting with what works well for me. I do better with carbs at the end of the day; if I eat a cookie around lunch, I'm usually shaky by 4pm. If I have ice cream after dinner, I'm fine for the night and the next morning. I skip breakfast (personal preference) and have a protein shake for a mid morning snack. I also try to have a protein heavy lunch with fewer calories so I can have two afternoon snacks. I save most of my calories for dinner, which I will usually have with carbs (dinner roll or potatoes or some such thing).

I'm weird from what I've seen from others posting. I still feel like low carb caused my issues. And I have anxiety problems, which completely feeds into hypoglycemia symptoms and so I often have to try and assess if I'm actually having low blood sugar or if I'm having a panic attack (fun stuff).

So, one thing I would heavily suggest is talk to a doctor or two, but mostly make sure you pay attention to what does and does not work for you. Try different things, record how you feel when you eat, and a few hours after you eat. Give diet changes a few weeks to see how it affects you. Change it if it isn't working for you.
  • nvmomketo
    Options
    auddii wrote: »
    I am reactive hypo, and I had some issues a few years ago, and I found some interesting things that were contrary to what doctors were telling me. The few months before the issues started, I tried going relatively low carb. Then my symptoms started, getting shake, hot, couldn't concentrate, etc. It was happening daily. I started tracking my blood sugars, and they were typically around 50 and never spiked high.

Unfortunately I was sent to an endocrinologist who treated me like a diabetic, so I had to test my blood sugar every time before I drove and ensure it was above 90. Which essentially made me eat all the time. I'd have a snack before going to the grocery store, and before I left the store, my blood sugar was low again. I ate ALL THE TIME, and it really just made things worse.

Finally went to a general doctor, who said I was doing everything wrong. While the advice from the endo makes sense for diabetics (who can have their blood sugar plummet quickly), it makes no sense for someone who is otherwise healthy. She suggested that I focus on low glycemic load carbs, and try to eat often enough that I don't get hungry.

I've been experimenting with what works well for me. I do better with carbs at the end of the day; if I eat a cookie around lunch, I'm usually shaky by 4pm. If I have ice cream after dinner, I'm fine for the night and the next morning. I skip breakfast (personal preference) and have a protein shake for a mid morning snack. I also try to have a protein heavy lunch with fewer calories so I can have two afternoon snacks. I save most of my calories for dinner, which I will usually have with carbs (dinner roll or potatoes or some such thing).

I'm weird from what I've seen from others posting. I still feel like low carb caused my issues. And I have anxiety problems, which completely feeds into hypoglycemia symptoms and so I often have to try and assess if I'm actually having low blood sugar or if I'm having a panic attack (fun stuff).

So, one thing I would heavily suggest is talk to a doctor or two, but mostly make sure you pay attention to what does and does not work for you. Try different things, record how you feel when you eat, and a few hours after you eat. Give diet changes a few weeks to see how it affects you. Change it if it isn't working for you.

Low carb might have made your symptoms worse. Most people's bodies run on glucose. When you restrict carbs you restrict your main glucose source. If your body is not used to relying on fat to make up the difference, your brain will use all carbs and make you feel shaky, weak, etc and want more food.

It is possible that if you went very low carb, and began relying on fat oxidation and ketones for fuel, you would not get the shakes since we have a very large source of fat for fuel. Many find going very low carb (ketosis) feels better than just low carb (less than 100-150g per day of carbs). Moderate carbs an be a very good choice if ketosis is not a good option.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I do think the diabetic and the hypoglycemic diets are very similar, from what I have observed. It means, OP, that you will need to be vigilant and eat at first onset of symptoms. I suggest you carry hiker's mix and glucotabs with you wherever you go. Glucotabs will give you instant energy for minimum calories, and hiker's mix (protein and fat) gives you sustained energy. You might find it helpful to eat by the clock. If it has been a couple hours, eat.

Try and fit as many macros in a meal as you can for sustained energy.
  • pdxwine
    pdxwine Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    I have reactive hypoglycemia. It is pretty well controlled, which is great.

The key, for me, is making sure I get my protein and stay as close to schedule as possible.

Breakfast around 9AM
    Snack at 11AM
    Lunch around 1PM
    Snack between 5 and 6
    Dinner at 8

My snacks are almonds in the morning and hummus and vegetables in the afternoon.

I carry almonds (unsalted, dry roast) with me at all times. They are high in protein and easy to carry, even while traveling.
  • abacus93jp
    abacus93jp Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Thanks!