Protein increase

Options
littlehappystitches
littlehappystitches Posts: 121 Member
edited October 2015 in Health and Weight Loss
Hi I am looking some advice please as to roughly how much protein I should be eating to help keep me full. I am 5ft exactly and currently weigh 136lbs and I'm trying to lose .5-1 lb per week and MFP has given me a calorie intake of 1200 per day which I happy with. It has set my carbs at 50% 150g per day, my protein at 30% at 60 g per day and fats at 20% at 40g per day I think. I was just wondering if I lowered the carbs and increased the protein then will that make me feel lots fuller? And how much would you suggest increasing my proteins to? And has anyone found this to help I just would like to be sticking to 3 square meals a day and feel contently full :) thanks for any help

Replies

• jodsaccount
    jodsaccount Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    At the risk of getting my head torn off--for me I have found that more proteins and less carbs gets me fuller and gives me a more sustainable energy level. However, for me what I have also found is that your energy/fullness from carb intake depends a great deal on what kind of carbs you eat. An apple after exercise makes me feel better but potatoes at night make me want to pass out. I don't eat breads or pasta because I can't (celiac). But the main thing you want is to find a long term solution for you so if you want to decrease the carbs then bear in mind carb free or low carb is a lifestyle not a diet. When its used as a diet the weight tends to come back on.
    My suggestion keep the carbs the same but cut back or cut out processed carbs (breads,pastas etc) and use your carb ratios in things like fruits and veg. If you can grow you can eat mentality. That usually helps with calories and increases what you can eat. You may just not be eating enough of the right things.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    You have to work it out for you ...it's not a rule that protein makes you more full

For me I need to balance enough protein with enough carbs for me to feel sated

during weight loss I eat a lot of vegetables, lots of bulk because I like volume

I only consider my protein and fat macros as minimums (I am for 100g protein and 50g fat based on 0.64g P and 0.35g F per lb bodyweight). I also eat around 250-300g carbs because that's what works for me...I like them and they make me satisfied and fuel my workouts

So no rules, play with your food until you're satisfied
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,485 Member
    Options
    I am finding a 40c/30p/30f works well for me. I like my fats and find they satiate me.
    I think the best thing to do is play around for a few weeks and see what suits you best.

You could just log what you think are a few meals that are satisfying and see where the macros fall.

It is generally advised that between .65-.85g protein per pound body weight is suitable for most people.

Cheers, h.
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    Yes - lower carbs to no more than 40%, max.
  • nordlead2005
    nordlead2005 Posts: 1,303 Member
    Options
    I eat 0.54-0.67g/lb of protein (I try to keep it closer to 0.67g) and feel full most of the time while on a calorie restricted diet. The thing is, if you are on a calorie restricted diet you don't need to be "starving to death", but you won't always be full either. Also, there is no set amount that will magically make you full.

As for protein, your current goal is too low. You need at least 0.37g/lb (0.8g/kg) of protein per day (USDA recommendation) and there are benefits to getting more. 40g/day is only 0.3g/lb. I would work on increasing your protein to at least 0.37-0.64g/lb per day. The 0.64-0.82g/lb range that is often recommended is currently the proven amount to show maximum benefit for bodybuilders, and you can even push it up into that range if you wish. I would sacrifice mostly carbs and maybe some fat to make room for the protein. But again, no amount of protein is guaranteed to make you feel full, so try different things and find what works for you.
  • littlehappystitches
    littlehappystitches Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Thanks great advice everyone :) I will write down the days and meals I feel most full and take it from there and increase my protein slightly to see
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    This is going to be individualized based on your goals. Mine are 35/35/30, as I find proteins and fats keep me sated longer.