In college, anyone?

Anyone else out there a struggling college student looking to get healthy and avoid all the sugary snacks while finding time to workout?

How do you do it? How can you navigate dining halls and pick out only the healthy stuff?

Replies

• Jessiekp0406
    Jessiekp0406 Posts: 46 Member
    Hi!! I'm a college student. I don't live on campus I actually have a 3 year old I work and take 16 units. For me...working out is my me time. It allows me to have a break from the million things I need to do. Feel free to add me. I could use some like minded motivated friends
  • nikesandbows
    nikesandbows Posts: 38 Member
    edited October 2015
    I'm a nursing student but rent my own apartment. So I typically fix everything at home and bring it with me :smile:
    Do you live in a dorm ? What types of food do you have available ?

Also feel free to add me :)
    Anyone else out there a struggling college student looking to get healthy and avoid all the sugary snacks while finding time to workout?

How do you do it? How can you navigate dining halls and pick out only the healthy stuff?

• fostersu
    fostersu Posts: 327 Member
    I'm a grad student and have for sure struggled with all to social activities with rich food and alcohol. Not even just with friends but school events and celebrations etc. Its rough. Right now I'm finding it easier to cut out all sugar rather than try to "balance" because inevitably balance does not happen. Feel free to add me if you like!
  • GregRamz
    GregRamz Posts: 13 Member
    Hi, I am also a college student. I find it easy, and CHEAPER, to eat healthy. I usually buy a pack of chicken breasts (usually around $10), bake them in the oven and store them for the week. I also buy a huge thing of oats (usually $5 for a couple weeks) and eat those for breakfast. If you want to avoid all the junk, I'd suggest you prepare your own food. Another thing that may help is following Intermittent Fasting. IF helps you control your hunger, which in turn stops you from consuming junk on the fly.
  • MeiannaLee
    MeiannaLee Posts: 338 Member
    Yes it is soooooooooooooo much cheaper to eat healthy!
    Go to Mexican supermarkets! (Make sure they are certified lol and not shady. Think big chain stores)
    Ground chicken and whole chickens are so cheap! Sometimes whole chickens are 89 cent each! And Ive found lean ground chicken/turkey for a few cent a pound.
    Also buy a sack of potatoes, rice and lots of legumes~ They will last you until your next paycheck/fafsa lol
    You can make burrito bowls with beans, rice and chicken and then add some pico on there.

Also farmers markets are super friendly to college students~ They will sometimes give you a crate of fresh veggies.
    If you dont have access to farmers markets, you should really google what veggies/fruits are in season. Cucumbers, apples and squash/zuccini are on sale during this time a year. Cucumbers are as cheap as 40 cent each at Winco.

And things like dairy and grains, try buying tubs of yogurt instead of individual ones and almond milk is less expensive than cow juice. Also the dollar store has good stuff sometimes such as cheese, deli ham and whole wheat bread (bagels and loaves). Good luck!

-Poor college student