THIS is why you should lift heavy things.

2»

Replies

• lenniebus
    lenniebus Posts: 321 Member
    You are amazing!!! SO glad you are ok...and YAY HEAVY LIFTING!!!
  • timbrom
    timbrom Posts: 303 Member
    As Mark Rippetoe (Starting Strength) says, "Strong people are harder to kill than weak people, and more useful in general."
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    That gave me goosebumps, too.

OP - glad to hear that you're safe (and hubby too). Thank you for sharing this with us!
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    That is scary! I'm glad you walked away. You are right, strength is important in more than just looking good and feeling strong. BEING strong is what it's all about.

Stay safe and take care of yourself.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Very happy that you and your husband are okay, and yes, being strong definitely betters your odds.

Thanks for sharing.
  • CCNYE63
    CCNYE63 Posts: 64 Member
    Wow! So glad you're both okay. Amazing - thank you for sharing. Your story will be my motivation for a while.

Also glad that I drive the same car.
  • caseythirteen
    caseythirteen Posts: 956 Member
    So glad both of you are OK after your experiences! I definitely agree that being strong and fit helps in a lot of life's situations.
  • fitbum19
    fitbum19 Posts: 198 Member
    Stronger people are harder to kill, it's true. :flowerforyou:

I am so very much stealing that line.

me too!!
  • belle_of_the_bar
    belle_of_the_bar Posts: 474 Member
    Wow! I'm glad you're ok. Makes me want to go lift on my rest day. :flowerforyou:
  • jmoliveson
    jmoliveson Posts: 40 Member
    Wow I am sooo glad you are ok! I agree with you that when we work out we are building protection for our body/bones. Thanks so much for sharing your experience and showing us that our workout efforts are going to pay off one way or another!
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    What a fantastic post!! I'm so glad you're ok. It just goes to show you how lifting gives you so much more than just great aesthetics!

This has also reminded me of a magazine article I read today, about a woman's story of falling 80ft from a balcony and surviving. Now, I don't know how much her surviving that had to do with her bones and strength (it didn't say she lifted, only that she was a dancer) but what did stand out was that she was hanging off the edge by her hands for a few minutes, but sadly didn't have the strength to pull herself back up, eventually lost her grip and fell :( Thankfully she had survived but it made me think, if I didn't lift there was no way I could've ever pulled myself up to safety either! Now at least I think I'd have a chance.
  • redheaddee
    redheaddee Posts: 2,005 Member
    Thank you guys for all the kind words. I love that some are saying this will inspire you to lift more, which is exactly why I shared this. So many posts get into the cardio vs strength nonsense, and regardless of your preference, a stronger body is better equipped to withstand injury and trauma. I didn't walk away unscathed (whiplash and some beautiful purple bruises), but I walked away. I know I will be stepping it up a notch when I return!
  • Yeller_Sensation
    Yeller_Sensation Posts: 373 Member
    o.O

Wow.

After seeing the title, I wasn't expecting the post either. I do not know you but I am really glad your husband and you walked away more or less unscathed, bruises notwithstanding.