Macros.. Help

Options
Where do I start..how do I determine where mine should be set at? I am 25 year old female 5 foot 4 inches tall and I weigh 174..I want to continue to loose fat but gain muscle I go to the gym 4 to 5 times a week and do cardio and strength training.. I eat about 1200 calories a day and if I'm hungry I will eat some
Of the calories earned..

Replies

• juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    MsMoving0n wrote: »
    Where do I start..how do I determine where mine should be set at? I am 25 year old female 5 foot 4 inches tall and I weigh 174..I want to continue to loose fat but gain muscle I go to the gym 4 to 5 times a week and do cardio and strength training.. I eat about 1200 calories a day and if I'm hungry I will eat some
    Of the calories earned..

Stop and take a deep breath a second.

First of all, you need to rid yourself of the notion you can lose fat and gain muscle simultaneously. That won't happen, and certainly not eating 1200 calories per day.

OK, that piece said, to lose fat while RETAINING muscle mass, most people suggest setting a protein goal of somewhere around 0.6-0.8 grams per day per pound (so, based on your stats, somewhere between 100-140 grams per day).

Fat is generally recommended to be somewhere around 0.3-0.4 grams per pound of body weight (so somewhere around 50-70 grams per day)

The rest of your calories is up to your personal preference. 100 grams of protein would be around 33% of a 1200 calorie diet, 50 grams of fat would be around 38% of a 1200 calorie diet.
  • _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,641 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    at least 20% fat, at least 50g protein (I'd round up to 20% protein (60g) on 1200 cals if it were me), and the rest as carbs.

• Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    I started at the MFP preset amounts and then tweaked it from there. I just slightly decreased carbs and increased protein. If you are doing cardio 4 to 5 times a week you want to be sure to have more carbs on those days to sustain your workouts.
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    Keto all the way - Hey! :)
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Use what MFP gives you. If it doesn't work for you, tweak it until you find a combination that does. :)
  • farfromthetree
    farfromthetree Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    MsMoving0n wrote: »
    Of the calories earned..

Stop and take a deep breath a second.

First of all, you need to rid yourself of the notion you can lose fat and gain muscle simultaneously. That won't happen, and certainly not eating 1200 calories per day.

OK, that piece said, to lose fat while RETAINING muscle mass, most people suggest setting a protein goal of somewhere around 0.6-0.8 grams per day per pound (so, based on your stats, somewhere between 100-140 grams per day).

Fat is generally recommended to be somewhere around 0.3-0.4 grams per pound of body weight (so somewhere around 50-70 grams per day)

The rest of your calories is up to your personal preference. 100 grams of protein would be around 33% of a 1200 calorie diet, 50 grams of fat would be around 38% of a 1200 calorie diet.

Good advice!!