Adderall and weight loss

Options
Anyone else on adderall and have experienced weight loss? I've been on it since April and I've already lost 40 pounds. It's curved my apitite completely and now I'm only hungry once a day. Anyone else that is on it have this problem? Thanks

Replies

• Whitezombiegirl
    Whitezombiegirl Posts: 1,042 Member
    Options
    Its amphetamine so of course its an appetite suppressant- its the same stuff as diet pills. Did your doctor not explain this?

• bannedword
    bannedword Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    It's "curbed" your appetite.

And I agree with the first poster. Didn't your doctor tell you this?
  • courtney123180
    courtney123180 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    my son is on Adderall XR for ADHD---the main side effect is anorexia. he took Ritalin for the last 7 months and held steady with his weight, now that he has taken the Adderall he lost 8 lbs in a month he took it(for a six year old that's a lot). I make him eat breakfast at home before school, then give him his med---then hes not hungry at all, all day at school, but then he comes home and in the evening hes like a ravenous hyena trying to make up for those lost calories. we have had to take him off of it since it made him lose so much so fast. now we have switched to a different med so hopefully it wont impact his diet so much.
  • Jennloella
    Jennloella Posts: 2,286 Member
    Options
    I was on it for 6 months and I joyously awaited the easy weight loss so many experienced. It never came.
  • Nachise
    Nachise Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    As someone who used to abuse amphetamines, the weight loss continues only as long as you take them. They will decrease intestinal motility, and potentially cause kidney issues. Furthermore, it doesn't take long to develop a tolerance.
  • beckyszajna
    beckyszajna Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I never known about the adderall curving your apitite . And no my doctor did not tell me. I've known for years I've had ADHD but was scared to get on adderall. Things got out of hand and I gave in and tried it. It's helped so much. I've also tried Vyvanse but that lead to other problems. I've learned to eat breakfast and then take the medication and NOW by 5 I'm hungry .
  • Rawr1978
    Rawr1978 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Wellbutrin does the same, but i found it wore off after three months...now it's beginning again.
    I dont see this as a negative, just make an eating schedule.