jmule24 wrote: »
    kkenseth wrote: »
    I'm going down eating bacon.

:love: :love: :love: @kkenseth

Might as well enjoy it, right?
  • flaminica
    flaminica Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    Arnold Rimmer: Look... In three million years, you'll be dead.
    Past Rimmer: [mock surprise]: Oh, will I really?
    Rimmer: Yes, unless you do something about it now.
    Past Rimmer: Oh, and what do you suggest I do, then? Eat less white bread? More roughage?

Life is bad for your health. So is clickbait.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    MommyL2015 wrote: »
    Being born is the only thing that is known to have a 100% death rate.

I know you were just being silly, but this is far from true. Most people who are born do not die from it. And I'm sure there are other things with a 100% death rate. Being beheaded, for example.

Huh? There are people who are born that don't die?? (Superheroes and cloned soap opera characters notwithstanding)??

I was born, I'm not dead. It may be safe to assume that I will die at some point, but definitely not from being born, and at this point it is just an assumption that can't be proven.
  • jmule24
    jmule24 Posts: 1,382 Member
    Options

Going down.... Or eating bacon????
  • _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,641 Member
    Options

I know you were just being silly, but this is far from true. Most people who are born do not die from it. And I'm sure there are other things with a 100% death rate. Being beheaded, for example.

Huh? There are people who are born that don't die?? (Superheroes and cloned soap opera characters notwithstanding)??

I was born, I'm not dead. It may be safe to assume that I will die at some point, but definitely not from being born, and at this point it is just an assumption that can't be proven.

Misstatements such as "of natural causes" for cause of death is a pet peeve of yours isn't it?
  • kk_inprogress
    kk_inprogress Posts: 3,077 Member
    Options

Both, obviously.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options

Both, obviously.

15839085.jpg
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options
    _John_ wrote: »

Misstatements such as "of natural causes" for cause of death is a pet peeve of yours isn't it?

It is.
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    Options
    Well what am I supposed to eat now?!?!
    Sugar - evil = bad
    Carbs - make me fat = bad
    Chemicals - disrupt hormones = bad
    Vegetarian - plants can hear themselves being eaten = bad
    GMOs - Monsanto is the devil = bad
    and now: Red meat - causes cancer if I eat a pound of bacon = bad

OK somebody, please tell me what the next fad diet is so I can get on the bandwagon!
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    Sugar - evil = bad

OK somebody, please tell me what the next fad diet is so I can get on the bandwagon!

Water strongly correlated to drowning!
  • kk_inprogress
    kk_inprogress Posts: 3,077 Member
    Options
    Sugar - evil = bad

Amen.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    A nutritionist was on a program here in Italy several years ago When asked about the cancer risk in foods he answered "you can't avoid it, so it's best to spread the risk around"---in other words, don't always eat the same thing everyday. Eating alot of the same food day after day puts you at risk for undesiderable effects from that food. I thought it was good advice.
  • _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,641 Member
    Options
    A nutritionist was on a program here in Italy several years ago When asked about the cancer risk in foods he answered "you can't avoid it, so it's best to spread the risk around"---in other words, don't always eat the same thing everyday. Eating alot of the same food day after day puts you at risk for undesiderable effects from that food. I thought it was good advice.

this...so much this...
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    snikkins wrote: »
    Kalikel wrote: »
    I think the thing I find the most fascinating about these reports of late is the risks that people are willing to take. For example, I've seen a few posts from people (in general, not talking solely about MFP) who are staunch low carb advocates because sugar will kill you just completely dismiss this, whereas they preach the WHO sugar recommendations as gospel.

People tend to pick and choose the science that they like. It seems silly, but there is a case to be made against so many things that it's not hard to understand someone saying, "I don't care, I'm eating it anyway."

Especially since things change, I get how it makes sense. My grandpa gave up eggs even though he loved them. Used to have two a day, every day, and quit when they told him what a healthy diet looked like (at that time.) By the time they got around to saying, "Okay, wait, a few eggs is okay," he had died.

Plus, when you're young, it's impossible to know what is coming. Should you eat this way to prevent this or that way to prevent that? It's not like anyone can see what is going to happen to them when they're sixty years old.

Some people don't even care and eat whatever they want, knowing it will make them die sooner. They're going on the principal that they'd rather do things they enjoy and die sooner than be cautious and live a little longer but live less happily. Old people, especially. And that's cool.

Different strokes.

I don't care what people do; I just personally find the justifications of it interesting. All groups do it, but my example here was relevant to this particular finding. I'm sure the "preachy" vegans will be triumphantly shouting this while ignoring something else.

Also, I don't think Americans realize that the rest of the world doesn't necessarily think that government/political = garbage. It's something else I find interesting about the responses to these kinds of things.

Clearly, everyone is going to continue doing whatever they want to in spite of whatever evidence to the contrary. I just find it all fun.
    It is funny when people pick and choose their science. :)
  • Duchy82
    Duchy82 Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    Did you know there is a strong correlation between living and cancer?

The older you become the stronger the link gets.

In all seriousness:
    Had my bacon bits on my green beans tonight and enjoyed them, it won't stop me eating red meat or bacon or ham. I'm sure sales of processed and red meats will drop in response to this not so new scientific data that is now in the news but won't affect my eating habits, everything in moderation.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options
    Sugar - evil = bad

Plants can hear themselves being eaten?? That's a new one for me. ::laugh::
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

I like this.
  • OneHundredToLose
    OneHundredToLose Posts: 8,523 Member
    Options
    Tomorrow's headline:

"Not having cancer increases your chances of having cancer by a factor of 100%!"
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    I think the thing I find the most fascinating about these reports of late is the risks that people are willing to take. For example, I've seen a few posts from people (in general, not talking solely about MFP) who are staunch low carb advocates because sugar will kill you just completely dismiss this, whereas they preach the WHO sugar recommendations as gospel.
    I have no issues whatsoever with a breakfast of bacon and eggs, a dinner of black and blue New York strip, and then some ice cream for dessert.

The WHO, the egg-haters, and the meat-haters can all pound sand.
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    I must be an eternal optimist. Right now my biggest concern from this news is when to head to the grocery store and most capitalize on the price drop for all of this. I have a deep freezer in the garage, and by the time grilling season starts, everyone will forget this report, the same way during grilling season people are perfectly willing to ignore that we live only at the whims of a giant ball in space constantly shooting us with class 1A carcinogens.