How to Increasing my Fiber (recipes are welcome)

Options
2»

Replies

• TheBeachgod
    TheBeachgod Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    CharminQT wrote: »
    if you don't mind the natural fats then try Dr Hyman breakfast detox smoothie. It as 1tbsp chia, pumpkin and hemp seed, 1/4 avocado, 1/2 tbsp coconut butter and 1tbsp almond butter with 1/2c blueberry and cranberry with a few walnuts blended with 1c water. That is 16g of fiber right there.

What exactly does it detox?
  • SamandaIndia
    SamandaIndia Posts: 1,577 Member
    Options
    Chia seeds. Great for protein and fiber. In salad or soak for at least a half hour (even overnight) in milk to create a pudding. Can use almond milk. 1 cup milk to 1/3 cup chia seeds and whisk a lot until they are swelling and softening to a paste. I add cinnamon.
  • shaynaboyce25
    shaynaboyce25 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Psyllium Husk :) natural fibre.. google it.
  • Phaewryn
    Phaewryn Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Everyone should be eating 14 grams of fiber per every 1000 calories consumed, to be up to the USDA recommendations. That being said, you said you're only eating 15-25mg. I do hope you meant grams, not milligrams. If that's the case, you don't really need more, unless you're eating a lot of calories. 15 grams fiber on a 1000 calorie day is ideal, 25 grams fiber would be fine for up to about 1800 calories, I think (I'm not great at math). The more calories you eat, the more your fiber consumption should go up, for, say a 2000 calorie diet, they recommend closer to 35 grams fiber daily.

Anyway, amounts aside, keep in mind that adding fiber is only 50% of the equation in controlling bowels: You have to add WATER for it to work. I don't think there are any set guidelines on how much water per grams fiber, but I have found that I require about 20 ounces of water per meal just to get anything to move at all. I try to drink at least 12 ounces between meals as well. I am eating a high fiber diet for similar reasons as you, and I'm also a bit perplexed by the "correct amounts" of fiber. I do know that a LOT of the recommendations are working on the assumption that we're all eating over 2000 calories a day, so they are way high! My favorite foods are Oat bran, Ground flax seed, Lentils, Quinoa, and vegetables/fruits like Broccoli, Peas, Pumpkin, Banana. All of those are fairly high in fiber, and easy to incorporate into the daily diet (like putting the pumpkin in the oat brand and flax breakfast cereal with a touch of cinnamon and maple syrup - breakfast you can make in under 2 minutes in the microwave and then CHUG without chewing). Lentils and Quinoa can be used anywhere you'd normally use rice or pasta (like in chicken cacciatore/parmesan, under stir-fry, in dressing/stuffing, soups). Speaking of rice, if you have to have it, make sure it's brown rice. Lentils can be used in anything that you'd normally use lower fiber beans in (read labels, some beans are better than others), substitute half the beans for lentils (chili, soups). Quinoa can be made into a passable cold salad with a vinaigrette dressing and some fresh crisp vegetables, certainly it's easy to add 1/4 a cup as a "topper" on a traditional salad and doesn't change the flavor much at all (be sure it's rinsed quinoa). Another favorite "salad" of mine is a pea salad, I just use canned peas, add a spoonful of low calorie mayo, a dash of apple cider vinegar, and a drop of mustard (some people use just mayo and lemon juice). It's very easy to adapt and change to suit your tastes, basically cold green peas and mayo. Think of it as a healthier version of potato salad.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    metamucil (psyllium husk)