I binge

Options
I'll start of by at least saying I know why I am not reaching my goals, so that is the positive to my eating issues. I have lots 20+ pounds over the past 1.5 years. I keep gaining and losing the same 6 or 7, and still need to lose about 20-25 to be at a healthy weight.

My weight is keeping me from enjoying life like I used to, yet I keep undoing everything I work for.

It's because I binge. I get super emotional sometimes, and it's like something in my brain says if you eat 2 bags of chips, candy and anything else you can easily grab and stuff in your pie hole, you will feel better.

But I never do. I know there are millions of people like me, and it's not unusual.

Yet, I continue to feed that urge when it happens. I don't purge, but right now I am holding back tears because I am *kitten* sick of myself.

When I starting to think about gorging, I went for the hour long walk. I had a large unsweetened tea... I tried a few other distractions... Am I lost cause? What can I do to stop this? I'll try anything.

Replies

• dcglobalgirl
    dcglobalgirl Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I'm so sorry that you're going through this. I'm having that kind of day myself and it sucks to feel like we can't do this. But we know we can, we've done it before. We just need to get our heads sorted out and dive in. You can do it! I can do it. Let's just start.
  • sadiebrawl
    sadiebrawl Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    Ok, we just answered each other. I'm adding you. Let's change this *kitten*, ya?
  • TriciaSmith2015
    TriciaSmith2015 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Once in awhile I do that in the middle of the night. I always justify the need to snack beforehand. I've gotten somewhat better about it over the years, though. Hang in there!
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    Only a few of these apply to emotional binge eating, but it still might help: http://www.niashanks.com/stop-binge-eating/
  • SpectacuLaura
    SpectacuLaura Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I completely know where you're coming from and it's just the most awful, frustrating feeling. :/ Not sure if this will help, but this post from one of my favorite bloggers was really helpful to me when it comes to binge eating.

http://www.canyoustayfordinner.com/2014/11/05/how-to-recover-from-binge-eating/
  • sadiebrawl
    sadiebrawl Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys. Going to use these as my bedtime reading.
  • mantha970
    mantha970 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I have had the same issue. Currently work in on it. I started with examining my self esteem and portion sizes. Ugh portion sizes at my enemy! I hope that with some hard truths and some dedication I can see lasting results this time.
  • amgreenwell
    amgreenwell Posts: 1,268 Member
    Options
    You are definitely NOT a lost cause. Binging is all mental. If you can find something to replace it, you are on the right track. Think about taking a walk, reading a book, even talking on the phone to a friend. You won't crunch chips in her/his ear would you??