Is the saying true?

Options
80% diet and 20% exercise? If you eat less (and better) can you lose weight even without (or very minimum) exercise? What is everyone's opinion :)

Replies

• Whitezombiegirl
    Whitezombiegirl Posts: 1,042 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Ive lost 32lbs since February without exercise - just calorie reduction. I eat chocolate everyday.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Depends on your goal(s). It was never all about weight loss for me. Health and fitness were, and remain, more important to me.

I also struggle to create a calorie deficit without exercise - much prefer to create a small calorie deficit while eating a good volume of food and exercising than eat like a bird and be inactive.

I've used Runkeeper for last 2.5 years to track most of my cardio exercise and I'm approaching a quarter of a million calories burned. So for me and my goals exercise is far more significant than 20% of the equation.

• ursoco86
    ursoco86 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Yes it is but also down to what you want to look like. I lost 12kg from diet alone, looked and felt great, gained it back over holidays and now lost 12kg again but have combined my diet with exercise and I look very different, am smaller too. So it's all down to what you want. However, what I discovered is it's easier to slip back into bad eating habits when it's diet only, however when it's a lifestyle with gym it seems to last longer, cause with me now before I drink I think how it will affect my training, if I want to cheat with a bad meal I think about the consequences the next day. It's different for everyone but I agree the calorie watching has been most effective for dieting cause there isn't so much restriction, you can eat as you like as long as u don't go over your daily restrictions.
  • TheopolisAmbroiseIII
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    Depends on your goal(s). It was never all about weight loss for me. Health and fitness were, and remain, more important to me.

I also struggle to create a calorie deficit without exercise - much prefer to create a small calorie deficit while eating a good volume of food and exercising than eat like a bird and be inactive.

I've used Runkeeper for last 2.5 years to track most of my cardio exercise and I'm approaching a quarter of a million calories burned. So for me and my goals exercise is far more significant than 20% of the equation.

Agree with this. If you just want to be lighter, it can easily 100% diet. As long as you take in less than your body uses, you can lose weight while being completely immobile.

However if you want to lose weight and increase your overall effectiveness as a human, you could start walking or jogging or biking etc for cardiovascular health and stamina. You could lift heavy junk to build strength.

Personally, I just want to lose this visceral fat, so I'm concentrating entirely on my diet, and letting my normal activity level (intermittent biking, walking from building to building at work, 'life') keep my fitness in check.
  • PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    For me it's 100% diet and 100% exercise.
    I give my all to both! :)
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,038 Member
    Options
    80% diet and 20% exercise? If you eat less (and better) can you lose weight even without (or very minimum) exercise? What is everyone's opinion :)

Yes, you can lose weight without (or very minimal) exercise.

But where's the fun in that? :mrgreen:

Personally, I love exercising ... walking, cycling, etc. etc. I get restless and edgy when I can't exercise as much as I would like.

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    For weight loss yes

But for looking awesome, zest for life and feeling healthier nope

(Ex fat couch potato)
  • SergeantSausage
    SergeantSausage Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options

You're wrong. It's 100% Calorie Deficit and it matters not how you create that deficit. Not at all.

That being said... blow the diet for the day? 1000 calories ... 3000 calories ... the sky's the limit right (how much can you eat, right?) Blow the day's workout and you're off *maybe* 300 or 400 calories.

Which has more of an effect?

• leahcollett1
    leahcollett1 Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    so this week, ive made some bloody bad choices with my food - gone over on some days - so instead of just accepting it, i say right im going to do body combat 5 x times this week instead of my normal 4, hoping to kind out counter act some of the badness and limit the damage...
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    For weight loss yes

But for looking awesome, zest for life and feeling healthier nope

(Ex fat couch potato)

+1
  • srecupid
    srecupid Posts: 660 Member
    Options
    Yeah it's mostly about diet. It's way easier to consume 500 calories less through diet than it is to burn off an extra 500 calories with exercise. But, the end goal is to be overall healthy right? I would try to at least get some exercise in.
  • Matt200goal
    Matt200goal Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    I'd add a third category and make it the "Health Triad" - Sleep, Nutrition, Exercise. Each affects the other two & overall health/performance.
  • daniwilford
    daniwilford Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    Weight loss is all about a calorie deficit. You can't out exercise a poor diet. But for maximum fat loss strength training is essential. For my mental and cardiovascular health-walking, running, biking, swimming or other aerobic exercise is irreplaceable. I personally can not achieve my health goals with diet. I have avoided one medication, reduced one by half and eliminated one with diet and exercise in the past 7 months. I feel great!
  • markrgeary1
    markrgeary1 Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    My last 20 pounds of weight loss have been 80% diet and 20% exercise. According to Mapmywalk anyway. I've walked off a little over 14,000 (4 pounds) calories in the 100 days that I lost 20 pounds in. So I agree it's true, for me during those 100 days.