Raking Leaves

Options
youshouldpaint
youshouldpaint Posts: 3 Member
edited October 2015 in Fitness and Exercise
Amazed at how many calories you can burn by raking leaves - a great workout, my abs, arms and legs are sore. Im actually looking forward to getting out there again - and next up - shovelling snow!!!! 350 calories in an hour!!!

Replies

• yusaku02
    yusaku02 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options
    350/hour sounds rather high for raking. If you got the number from a fitbit or myfitnesspal then the number is likely inflated a bit.
    I don't mean to rain on your parade, I think it's awesome that you're excited to rake and shovel and I hope you continue to feel that way going forward. I just feel that it can be detrimental to meeting weight loss goals when typical house/yard chores are logged for calories burnt.
  • Pawsforme
    Pawsforme Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    I believe the OP meant that shoveling snow burns about 350 calories an hour. And I could probably believe that, especially if it's heavy, wet snow. I do enjoy "exercising" by doing necessary things like that much more than doing the usual exercise stuff.
  • CaptainJoy
    CaptainJoy Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Don't let yusaku02 thwart your enthusiasm. I rake leaves and my fitbit gives me lots of active time and steps. They are definitely earned. I've lost over 40 pounds since mid September doing yard work and walking. The more you weigh, the more calories you burn. He might be a light weight and not burn as many as the rest of us.