Metabolism!

Options
What can I eat and drink to speed up my metabolism?

Replies

• PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    I don't think 'speeding up metabolism' is actually a thing
  • MommyL2015
    MommyL2015 Posts: 1,411 Member
    Options
    Exercising is the only thing I know that can "speed" up a metabolism, if that can even legitimately be said.
  • nordlead2005
    nordlead2005 Posts: 1,303 Member
    Options
    There are various things that studies have shown boost metabolism by a small percentage. I'm yet to see a study that shows you can stack the effects. Green Tea is one such item that can show a small boost in metabolism.

However, walking at 4mph for 10 minutes gives about the same boost in calories burned and costs nothing and gives you the added benefit of exercise.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    How can I speed up my metabolism?

It’s not unusual to hear people blame their weight gain on a slow metabolism.

They’ve cut down on calories and take regular exercise yet they’re still not losing weight. The only other possible diagnosis, they expertly conclude, is a slow metabolism.

What is a slow metabolism? How does it affect your weight, and can you do anything to speed it up? Professor James Timmons, a metabolism expert from Loughborough University, gives your metabolism a closer examination.

...Am I fat because of a slow metabolism?

People who struggle to lose weight often blame a slow metabolism. However, numerous studies involving thousands of people worldwide have failed to find evidence to support the widely held belief that overweight people must have slower metabolic rates.

In fact, the opposite appears true: overweight people may actually have a higher metabolism than their leaner counterparts, reflecting the energy requirements of maintaining a larger body size. When you account for differences in body size and composition, there is a remarkable similarity in energy expenditure between individuals.

Research has also shown that people tend to eat more than they think they do. When asked to write down everything they've consumed in a day, many people tend to report eating far less than they actually do.

More often than not, the reason you’re putting on weight is not because of a slow metabolism, it’s because you’re eating and drinking more calories than you're burning. It may be hard to accept, but staying on top of the number of calories you eat is key to losing weight and keeping it off.

...What can I do to speed up my metabolism?

It is claimed that certain foods and drinks can boost your metabolism, including green tea, black coffee, spices and energy drinks. The evidence behind these claims is flimsy, the effect on your metabolism is marginal at best and each person will respond differently to each product.

While you don't have much control over the speed of your metabolism, you can control how many calories you burn through your level of physical activity. The more active you are, the more calories you burn. In fact, some people who are said to have a fast metabolism are probably just more active – and maybe more fidgety – than others.

Read more: http://www.nhs.uk/livewell/loseweight/pages/how-can-i-speed-up-my-metabolism.aspx