Vitamin D Deficiency

Options
2»

Replies

• gaelicstorm26
    gaelicstorm26 Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    Yes, I have had success.

I was put on 50,000 IU weekly for about 6 months until I was at the very bottom of the "typical" range. I took mine weekly, not daily but mine was D3. I still have to get tested because I still have issues. It seems to be an ongoing thing and I hope that weight loss will help.
  • miztessbert
    miztessbert Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I also had success (so far) taking the vitamin D mega-dose to increase my levels and using supplements to maintain. When initially tested 4 mo. ago, I had extremely low vitamin D levels like yours. My doctor put me on 50,000 IU vitamin D2, taken once a week for 8 weeks. When that was done, I continued taking a multi-vitamin and calcium chew (both of which have vitamin D3) daily, and increased my daily vitamin D3 supplement from 2000 IU to a 5000 IU. I usually take the D3 supplement at lunch with a fish oil pill since I do the multi-vitamin at breakfast and the calcium chew with dinner. I also try to go for a 30-40 min walk outside at lunch everyday. When I went back to my doctor last week I was told my vitamin D levels are in the normal range.
  • bametels
    bametels Posts: 950 Member
    Options
    I was dealing with fatigue and other symptoms a couple of years ago and I was found to be Vitamin D deficient. My doctor prescribed a short-term, high dose regime like yours but I opted not to take it because the latest research has found D3 to be more effective than D2. While the D3 supplement raised my levels into the normal range, I was still experiencing symptoms of fatigue and more. Further tests found that I have hypothyroidism. I've learned that many people with thyroid issues are also Vitamin D deficient. Therefore, if your fatigue continues, you may want to discuss with your doctor having your TSH (thyroid stimulating hormone) and Free T3 and Free T4 levels (thyroid hormones) levels checked.
  • sanjay_says
    sanjay_says Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    bametels wrote: »
    I was dealing with fatigue and other symptoms a couple of years ago and I was found to be Vitamin D deficient. My doctor prescribed a short-term, high dose regime like yours but I opted not to take it because the latest research has found D3 to be more effective than D2. While the D3 supplement raised my levels into the normal range, I was still experiencing symptoms of fatigue and more. Further tests found that I have hypothyroidism. I've learned that many people with thyroid issues are also Vitamin D deficient. Therefore, if your fatigue continues, you may want to discuss with your doctor having your TSH (thyroid stimulating hormone) and Free T3 and Free T4 levels (thyroid hormones) levels checked.

Thanks. This is helpful to consider.
  • hill8570
    hill8570 Posts: 1,466 Member
    Options
    FWIW, I take 10,000 IU of D3 a day during the months I'm not getting a lot of bright sunlight on my skin (roughly September through May). When tested during the winter, I run at the high end of the normal range when I'm on that regimen. Since I starting doing this (about 3 years ago), I've had a lot fewer colds, and those I have are more of the "feel rundown for a few days" rather than "I'm going to spend a couple of days on the couch" variety.