Losing is harder in your 30's

Options
I am back to square 1. After having my first child in my late 20's I lost 70lbs . It took hard work and dedication but I got down to my pre prego weight. Now that after giving birth to my daughter last year and in my mid 30's I've noticed it's alot harder. My metabolism slowed down the routines I did the last time I can't do too much this time around due to permanent injury . Jump training, running, jump roping, etc. so I'm doing more spinning, elliptical, stair master and able to keep with weight training.

I'm a beast at the gym but when it comes to nutrition, it takes more effort to curb my cravings. there's always a big difference when kep track of my meals. the minute i stop the weight comes back on.

I noticed some people who have successful weight loss eats the same set meal breakfast lunch and dinner. I printed off a clean eating 1500 calorie meal and for 1 week eat the same think everyday for the first 2 meals and dinner with the family. So far I lost 2 lbs and its so much easier to jounalize my meals too. It keeps me aware of portion control among other things.

Replies

• catfive1
    catfive1 Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Wait until you are a menopausal 50 year old. lol

Get healthy now and you will avoid the problems when you get older.
  • cathymarie75
    cathymarie75 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I herar you had both kids in 30's
    one at 33 and other at 35. Its not as easy to lose as it was in 20's.
    Feel free to add me !
  • HulaHawaiiGirl69
    HulaHawaiiGirl69 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Aloha,

Feel free to add me and check out my food plan! I like variety..... otherwise I get bored and then I slip.

45780886.png
  • Gina91507
    Gina91507 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Hi :) I was in the same boat. I lost all my pregnancy weight after my 1st son and then after my 2nd it was MUCH harder. I would love to help out as best as I can.

I personally prep all of my food on sunday night for the week. I measure and weigh everything out and package all of my meals in tupperware. It is a little bit of a pain BUT it really makes it easy to eat clean and get all of my protein and veggies in.

I just sent you a friend request.
  • neverquit33
    neverquit33 Posts: 52 Member
    Options

I heard the same exact thing from a friend back in my twenties. Lol its crazy how we think we're unbreakable. Ha! My husband still thinks that. But i told him my main focus will be what I put on my plate workouts i can maintain. I can't imagine trying to insanity at 60 yr old. I already have degenerative arthritis as it is. Lol
  • conniemaxwell5
    conniemaxwell5 Posts: 943 Member
    Options

This, all the way!
    628462 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Had my first child a year ago. I'm 38. It is so much harder to exercise now and I have so much to lose! But everything hurts. Knees, back, shoulders - and its not a good kind of pain either! Lol!
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,583 Member
    Options
    No kids here, but I'm 33. I just lost all of mine in the last year. It's no harder than you convince yourself it is.

ETA: being a beast in the gym is awesome, but you can't out-exercise a bad diet.
  • neverquit33
    neverquit33 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for replying to my post. At first I thought maybe I was trying to find a excuse for not losing weight but the. After a month it hi me my body is just not the same as it was before and I have to adjust accordingly. Thank good goodness I'm not alone in this. Lol thank you!
  • acogg
    acogg Posts: 1,871 Member
    Options
    At 52, I think it's easier. I no longer deal with water weight or monthly emotional swings. For me, I am better now. My doctor tells I am one of the lucky ones, but I wonder if we older women use our age as an excuse. I agree that OP should start being healthy today, don't wait until you are in your fifties like so many of us do. A hot forty year old woman is awesome! Oh, and your face is beautiful! Love the wide eyes!
  • saucybgl
    saucybgl Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I'll be 36 in August and had my first baby 2 yrs ago. It's definitely harder to get the weight off now. I'm glad I'm not the only one in the 30's club who's having a tough time of it! Thanks for starting this thread :)
  • awebster2
    awebster2 Posts: 40 Member
    Options

So much this ^^^
  • alexveksler
    alexveksler Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for replying to my post. At first I thought maybe I was trying to find a excuse for not losing weight but the. After a month it hi me my body is just not the same as it was before and I have to adjust accordingly. Thank good goodness I'm not alone in this. Lol thank you!

Yes, you are correct. Your body is not the same, as it was earlier. It is not important how old you are. What is important is that you recognized what you need to do for yourself. Learn good foods, learn good exercise routines and stick with it. And weight loss will follow your new lifestyle.
  • anemoneprose
    anemoneprose Posts: 1,805 Member
    Options
    Hey, I'm your age, and have some of the same issues!

It's true, it sucks not being able to do the jumpy stuff that really get things moving. I too find cardio hard to manage - never sure if I'm pushing too easy (because whoo boy have I felt it going too much the other way. Even with something basic like 30 mins on a rowing machine. Now I stop the minute things don't feel right). Can only advise switching up machines every time, and taking as much recovery as you need.

I have a few low-impact sequences I do at home to try to get the heart rate up. Eg:
    - burpees (not jumping though - walk out, but do it fast)
    - 10 high knees & get down, & get up again, that's one rep
    - kicks all kinds. bodyweight squats + kicks, lunges with kicks, roundhouse kicks, front/side/back kicks (=1 rep). Kicks in between everything else. Basically kick as much as possible
    - swiss jacknife
    - kettlebell or dumbbell swings
    - Step-ups on a chair are good too if you can do them (I can't now :( really sad bc I loved those).

If you alternate 1 min of each of those with 1 min of 'calmer' calisthenics (eg pushups, planks, glute bridges/hip thrusts - these are like your 'rest' periods) it turns into a decent interval-type workout. Do it 2-3 times in a row and I guarantee a good sweat.
  • anemoneprose
    Options
    (personally i can't handle just cutting food. without cardio i eat too much. and my daily cal goal is 2000.)
  • RoseDarrett
    RoseDarrett Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    Yes. I can relate. I had my first 2 kids in my 20's. Had my daughter 9 months ago. I work out much harder than what I did with the first two and it's nowhere as effective and it's taking so much longer to get my body back after my second baby than with my third. I'm convinced its because I'm. In my 30's

Keep doing your best,feel free to add me :)
  • DawnEH612
    DawnEH612 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    I dont buy it... i just turned 44 and am in the BEST shape of my life, ever....boost that metabolism.. Lift twice as much as you do cardio! When I say lift, I mean, REALLY lift weights. Look at scoobysworkshop.com, New Rules Of Lifting for Women (NROLFW), strong lifts 5x5, or get a good trainer to show you the basics. When we age we begin to loose muscle at a rapid rate... Muscle is what keeps our metabolism running hot.... Cardio 3-5 times a week, 20-30 minutes but LIFT LIKE A BEAST!!!!
    Oh yeah, and 1500 calories a day is too little for as much as you working out. Make sure you calculate your BMR and never, never , never eat less than this amount, EVER! I eat about 2100 calories a day!
  • DawnEH612
    DawnEH612 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    No kids here, but I'm 33. I just lost all of mine in the last year. It's no harder than you convince yourself it is.

ETA: being a beast in the gym is awesome, but you can't out-exercise a bad diet.
    I agree with his ETA!
  • anemoneprose
    Options

I agree with his ETA!

that's true. but for some people (not everyone, i know), cardio actually reduces appetite. that's one reason i do it, not so much for the calorie burn of the exercise itself. i eat 300-400 cals less on days i do cardio. strength training (which i also do) doesn't have the same effect for me. (mood is the other big reason)
  • Helenca76
    Helenca76 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Yep, I hear you. In my 20's I joined WW and lost the weight quite quickly and easily even after both kids although I never quite got back to pre pregnancy weight, I was happy.
    Now in my 30's, sheesh, it takes a month to maybe lose 4lb but one weekend to gain it all back :mad:

Good luck with your weight loss journey

H