Headaches every day

Options
I'm trying to cut out most sugar from my diet, but when I do, I get headaches and I'm cranky all the time. How do you guys do it?

Replies

• Bmoy87
    Bmoy87 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I used to drink alot of Diet Soda and when I cut it out my headaches are all but gone now. Haven't had a soda since January and happy I quit!
  • mathjulz
    mathjulz Posts: 5,514 Member
    Options
    I don't really worry a lot about sugar, especially when it's from fruit (because it's yummy and has all those nutrients). But, overall, it's calories that matter for weight loss.

Low-carbers often say that you go through a period of adjustment as you go into ketosis. Not sure if this applies to you, because you only mention cutting sugars, not all carbs.

Is there something else you're cutting out with the sugars (for example, if you are suddenly cutting your sodas, you might be having headaches from caffeine withdrawal). And some people are sensitive to artificial sweeteners, as above poster mentioned, so if you're replacing soda with diet or other such substitutions, it *might* be a culprit.

Beyond that, I'm not sure ... it would be helpful to know more details (are you drastically reducing carbs as a result, what are you eating now compared to before, etc). Opening your diary may give some insight. Of course, you can try going more moderate with sugars (eating more, just not as much before) to see if that helps.

And, if you can't solve it with returning to your regular sugar levels, contact the doctor. It could be sign of something more serious (not trying to be alarmist, just putting it out there)
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to cut out most sugar from my diet, but when I do, I get headaches and I'm cranky all the time. How do you guys do it?

I haven't cut out sugar. No headaches for me.
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    Options
    Have some sugar-free caffeine and stay well hydrated.
  • nikijh
    nikijh Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I had this major, i cried with the headache pain! I've found it a lot easier buying supermarket's fizzy water, they have 1.2g of sugar, 12kcal, and 2g of carbs to a one litre bottle. I easily drink one bottle a day but have completly cut out sugar in my tea, cut out caffine sweets etc and this is the only place (other than fruit & bright coloured veg) where i'm getting sugar from and have found it a lot easier.