Cardio or Weightlifting

Options
Hi I just read someone's post on how she lost a lot of time on her journey doing cardio and that she should have switched to cardio.
I discovered here how many of you lift and how it helped them.

I do cardio : bike, swimming and walking for around 9 hours a week (1 day rest). I'm considering beachbody program (t25)
I'm a 27 yo female, 5'2 and 218 (99kg).

My priorities are to lose weight and tone up (my skin most of all).

Do you think I should go on with cardio or switch to weight lifting or a mix of both?

Thanks for your answer, I'm kind of a newbie.

Replies

• JenAndSome
    JenAndSome Posts: 1,908 Member
    Options
    I think many people find a good mix of both works for them. I know I did. I started out running a few times a week and then added in the weights. I went to Planet Fitness at first because it's cheap and convenient and better than nothing and then as I did more research I figured out that the results I wanted wouldn't be attained without getting more into heavy lifting. At first it was a little intimidating but after doing a lot of research and studying on a reputable routine and proper form, making myself go into the free weight room at a bigger gym and just doing it a few times it became totally routine and those nerves just kind of faded away. There are a lot of people on here who do beachbody programs too. Don't be surprised if you get a few friend requests from some coaches. Just be sure that whatever you end up doing is what works best for you and something you would stick with. Good luck!
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    There isn't really a right answer here. There are a lot of variables here that most people fail to mention when they talk about such and such having a significant benefit to their progress.

I suggest trying them both and seeing how you fare.
  • DaddieCat
    DaddieCat Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    The best exercise will be the one that you will do consistently and in a way that you can get progressively better at. Do what you like. If that means that you need to try them both, or take up aerialist underwater basket hopscotch, then go for that.
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options
    Doing some form of resistance training can help you retain your muscle mass so you look better when you hit your goal weight. I think a balance of both is best - but that's just my opinion.

That said if you don't stick with it then it doesn't matter, so you need to find something you enjoy.
  • jimbosrugers
    jimbosrugers Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Keep doing your favorite cardio and add a couple of sessions per week of weight training. If getting to weights is inconvenient then do bodyweight push ups and squats.
  • _Bropollo_
    _Bropollo_ Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Both. Weight training will take a big majority of your training time, but you need to bust out 20 mins or so of high-intensity cardio work a few times a week to help increase your aerobic endurance and improve your stamina. The majority of your fat loss is done in the kitchen though.

Remember you can't really lose fat and build muscle at the same time, but you can improve your strength by improving your nervous system's ability to utilize the muscle you do have while losing fat. To gain any new muscle, you will need to be in a slight calorie surplus.
  • stircrzy
    stircrzy Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I find I have to do a mix of both. I can't get the muscle tone I want with just cardio, but I can't achieve the Weight loss I want with just weights alone. You could do both at the gym or there are plenty of programs out there that include both.
  • lisalsd1
    lisalsd1 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    I've lost weight both ways. I lost 65lbs through cardio and "diet." I ended up "skinny fat." I started lifting...and I went from a size 10 to a size 2 in less than 2 years (I'm currently wearing a 2...but am the SAME scale weight as my size 8 days). One of the best things I did was buy a food scale and accurately measure my caloric intake. This also motivated me to clean up my "diet."

At your weight (no offense; I started out at almost 200lbs at 5'3), you'll like find that you'll still need cardio even if you lift. You probably aren't going to see the results your want with lifting alone; it's a slow process. However, you'll likely have better results by adding a lifting program to your gym routine.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I lost weight with my deficit. Period end of discussion.

My exercise has been as follows:

1. Body weight/cardio (30 day shred) for 60 days.
    2. Heavy lifting SL 5x5 for 6 months
    3. Heavy lifting SL 3x5 + Cardio (walking/biking)
    4. Heavy lifting Wendler 5/3/1 for 1 year + walking/running/biking for the summer

I did both while losing weight...I lifted to preserve muscle mass and so that when I did get down to my desired weight I wouldn't be soft and squishy aka skinny fat. I added in cardio in the summer cause I like walking...I added running this summer because I quit smoking and it was a new goal.

I've been at my goal weight pretty much since Sept 2014 (set a new goal recently) and I have done both through out but they haven't helped me lose weight or help keep my skin tight...my belly (I am a momx1) is saggy I deal with it.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    as a matter of general fitness, both are pretty important. in RE to your weight loss, your diet is going to contribute far more to that.

when you neglect to do some kind of resistance training you burn a higher ratio of muscle mass along with your fat then you would if you do some kind of resistance training...resistance training is going to preserve muscle so that when you cut the fat you actually have that "fitness" body.

as a matter of general fitness, I highly recommend doing both.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    Relevant meme:

aoz8kgx8pzknypz7z38n.jpg
  • MarlyIc1
    MarlyIc1 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Mix it up a bit, 3 days cardio and 2 days weight training works for me best. Too much cardio and not enough rest will put your body esp. heart under too much pressure and even when you lose weight, which you will, you will have to do strength training anyway to tone up, otherwise will remain flabby (speaking from experience). Why not get toned and strong at the same time :) And if you do decide to weight train, don't weigh yourself on a scale too much because you will be putting on muscle which is heavier than fat. Use measuring tape and clothes to measure weight loss instead.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    Always both. Or just lifting.
  • rankinsect
    rankinsect Posts: 2,238 Member
    Options
    I do both resistance training and cardio (HIIT). Both have different benefits - the strength training to build/maintain muscle, and the cardio for more energy and far better heart health.

I see diet, cardio, and resistance training as three separate things that each give some element of fitness that the others don't. I chose all of the above.
  • gdyment
    gdyment Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    You can maintain muscle with just running. I did it for 2+ years and virtually no muscle loss. The odd set of pushups or yoga or a rope climb once in a blue moon.