An interesting article about sugar: Where it is hid and what it does to our body.

Options
I guess everyone knows that sugar is good for many reasons and that nowadays, pretty much everything we buy the supermarket, had added sugar.
I just found this article, and I though I should share it since it can help some people to reach their goal in their weight loss. Maybe some of them are eating all the "healthy" foods they see at the "diet" aisle in the store without knowing that food might not be as good as companies want us to believe.
http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2015/08/14/what-eating-40-teaspoons-of-sugar-a-day-can-do-to-you/

Replies

• tiptoethruthetulips
    tiptoethruthetulips Posts: 3,365 Member
    Options
    It was a popular film, unfortunately I didn't get to see it.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    I find it hard to believe that he ate the same calories and gained weight. He says he kept the same calories, but then says he was snacking more. I wonder how/if he knew it was actually the same calories.
  • tincanonastring
    tincanonastring Posts: 3,944 Member
    Options
    It's quite possible that the amount he consumed far exceeded that which the film claims teenagers consume. Also, he absolutely consumed more calories than he had on his whole foods diet. You cannot have weight gain without a calorie surplus.

http://scepticalnutritionist.com.au/?p=1973#more-1973
  • taraj6
    taraj6 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Good article and I hope the film is released in the UK to help people realise where sugar is hidden. I have been living by a similar moto to him; eat fresh. If something doesn't look like it has ever seen the light of day, ie: it is in a packet or jar, then it probably hasn't and so won't do much good for you! It's not saying sugar is bad, it's saying refined sugars are bad, as are refined carbs and fats. We just need to get better at realising where to find the good ones :)
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    I don't buy this "hidden" notion, read the label or online resources and the grams of sugar is hiding in the open.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    yarwell wrote: »
    I don't buy this "hidden" notion, read the label or online resources and the grams of sugar is hiding in the open.

well, we actually agree on something...this is what i was thinking...all people need to do is flip over the box or whatever and look at the nutritional label...it will tell you right there.
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options

Not true! Hidden sugars are on track to take the hide-and-seek world champion title from Bigfoot.
  • _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,641 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    senecarr wrote: »

Not true! Hidden sugars are on track to take the hide-and-seek world champion title from Bigfoot.

g3ib1.jpg
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options

^^^^

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

well, we actually agree on something...this is what i was thinking...all people need to do is flip over the box or whatever and look at the nutritional label...it will tell you right there.

Wish they labelled fruit

Damn stuff has the same fructose/glucose as a bag of refined sugar
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    jennyzp wrote: »
    nowadays, pretty much everything we buy the supermarket, had added sugar.

Very little of what I buy at the supermarket has added sugar.

I also don't buy the idea of hidden sugar, as it never seems that hard to find. And most sugar people eat these days is likely from pretty obvious sources.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    It's only hidden from people who don't read the labels and don't know what they mean.

In this day and age, information is so easily obtained. You can have just about any book you like delivered to your door 24-48 hours after you decide you want it. There is google, although that's hit-or-miss. Many people get free tuition and can take classes for no money whatsoever.

If people want to know, they'll learn. If they don't, they won't.

It's not all that "hidden", really. It's only hidden from people who don't care to look.

I do think the food is labeled to be misleading, though. Just the other day, I saw the word "detox" on a box of something ridiculous - it may have been cereal. They're trying to sell stuff, so I don't blame them, but it is kind of dumb.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »
    I do think the food is labeled to be misleading, though. Just the other day, I saw the word "detox" on a box of something ridiculous - it may have been cereal. They're trying to sell stuff, so I don't blame them, but it is kind of dumb.

This?
    Wake up your taste buds with Raspberry Detox Superfood Cereal! Grain-free, nutrient-dense, and packed with flavor, this enhanced cereal is an awesome way to add color to your diet. With the protein power of sprouted buckwheat, and omega-3 essential fatty acids of golden flax meal, this cereal holds its “superfood” title proudly. Our superfood cereal is loaded with antioxidant-rich organic raspberries, cacao nibs, and red beet root, and naturally sweetened with coconut and clear agave nectar. Your taste buds will be spinning in delicious bliss! Fiber-rich and bursting with flavor and crunch, behold a perfect breakfast meal or anytime snack.

Well, that's something I won't be buying! ;-) I roll my eyes and sigh at such ridiculous marketing, although this one is almost a classic in the making.

I've mentioned before that there's a yogurt place near me that appeals to every trendy thing (which is reading my neighborhood pretty well): http://froyochicago.com/

It's "Non-GMO, Fair Trade, Organic, and locally sourced, where possible." Also promotes itself (well, select products, anyway) as vegan, soy free, gluten free, and kosher (okay, the kosher thing isn't exactly trendy) and provides "delicious products in the raw." It also has lots of superfood options to include, of course.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    Pulled a muscle rolling my eyes...

The other day we were buying croissants at the boulangerie here and my twelve year old asked me "any hidden sugars in that pain au chocolat" ? We'd been talking about knowing what you eat - a convo started by her school. Smart aleck daughter and evil twinkle in her eye told me I was being trolled.

So yeah, even a twelve year old doesn't buy the "hidden sugars" in food.

I think part of the issue is that some people consider any sugar bad. So natural sugar is going to be 'bad' for them. Oh well. Empty windmills.