Training for 10k - overriding treadmill 60 min max?

Options
Hi all,

Am about to do my first 10k run in a few weeks and now that nights are darker I've had to move most of my training indoors to the treadmill.

Managed to get to 8.6k tonight (woohoo!) and I reckon I could've got to 10k at a push but the Life Fitness treadmills at my gym go into cool down mode after an hour (I'm not very fast!)

Does anyone know if this can be overridden on the machines so that you can continue without having to reset?

Replies

• questionfear
    questionfear Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    Try running 5k, then stop the treadmill and immediately restart it again.
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,716 Member
    Options
    Maybe newer machines are different but a few years ago when I was doing 90 min. cardio sessions I always had to restart the machine. Well, the treadmill anyway. The ellipticals let me do 90 min. without restarting.

Good luck on the 10k!
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options
    I have to hit stop, then quick start again, once it switches to cool-down mode after an hour, both at my apartment gym and at the regular one (two different treadmill brands.) I don't think there's a way around it, but it only takes a couple seconds.
  • michellepearson224
    michellepearson224 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Ok thanks all....didn't really want to stop as I lose momentum but might not have a choice! (My other half pointed out that I need to get my 10k under an hour - not helpful!!!)
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I'm a brat. I'd switch to a second machine midway.
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    I haven't found a way. I usually stop at the halfway point and then resume. The ones at my gym force you to "cool down" after 30 mins (reduces your speed by half every minute if you're above 4.0) and turn off at 35, so at least you get 60!! Generous gym!
  • Working2BLean
    Working2BLean Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    An out of the box idea from Triathlon training here.

A workout called a "brick" is where you bike and then immediately run. You can google it. Lots of pro coaches have athletes do them.

It is hard... It blasts your legs. It makes you stronger and builds endurance. It may be helpful to consider one day a week, before and off day...

Ride 30 minutes pretty hard. Then run 45 pretty hard.

It will be a new kind of stress and will get that valuable muscle confusion.

I do bricks once a week for my next tri with a 30 mile ride at 18 mph or so and 10K run.

It has helped me get stronger on the run.

You never know, you may find yourself drawn to sprint triathlons. A 25 mile ride, 5K run, and 400 meter swim

Then you are triathlete!

Have fun with it

Good luck on your run.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    What model? A number of LF treadmills have a setting called "marathon mode" that has no time limit. Otherwise, 60 min is the max. You have to turn on the marathon mode via the managers configuration menu. Entering configuration mode requires a different "code" depending on the age/model of the treadmill. The best thing would be to talk to someone at the club to change that setting for you. I could give you the code, but it would be a problem if someone caught you messing with the equipment. Depending on the model, if you don't know how to adjust settings, you can mess up the language and some other options.
  • robertw486
    robertw486 Posts: 2,390 Member
    Options
    A lot of the Precor ellipticals are the same way, but it can be reset if the club allows. As mentioned above, it requires and access code. Quite a few machines are set up to allow the specific clubs to set a limit.
  • italysharon
    italysharon Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    Just ask. If it is not peak hours they shouldn't care.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options

A workout called a "brick" is where you bike and then immediately run. You can google it. Lots of pro coaches have athletes do them.

It is hard... It blasts your legs. It makes you stronger and builds endurance. It may be helpful to consider one day a week, before and off day...

I do bricks once a week for my next tri with a 30 mile ride at 18 mph or so and 10K run.

You never know, you may find yourself drawn to sprint triathlons. A 25 mile ride, 5K run, and 400 meter swim

Then you are triathlete!

Have fun with it

Good luck on your run.

I'm noticing a trend in your posts which is recommending advanced training techniques that aren't appropriate for the person asking questions. Bricks aren't even at the beginning stages of triathlon training programs, yet that is your go to advice today for those looking to get a 10k run under an hour or participating in a beginner's running program.
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options

Then you are triathlete!

Have fun with it

Good luck on your run.

I'm noticing a trend in your posts which is recommending advanced training techniques that aren't appropriate for the person asking questions. Bricks aren't even at the beginning stages of triathlon training programs, yet that is your go to advice today for those looking to get a 10k run under an hour or participating in a beginner's running program.

This.

Please stop recommending brick training to beginners - you will cause them an injury.
  • glevinso
    glevinso Posts: 1,895 Member
    Options
    Or we could just stop recommending doing bricks at all because they are useless. Especially for someone asking about running a 10k
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options

Then you are triathlete!

Have fun with it

Good luck on your run.

This.
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    (My other half pointed out that I need to get my 10k under an hour - not helpful!!!)

Lol - that is obviously an option as well I guess.

That said if you can run 8.6km now and feel ok I'm pretty sure you can run 10k on the day without too much trouble so maybe don't worry about it too much. You could just concentrate on a quality run for the 60 minutes and then jump off when the cool down kicks in and start flexing. That's probably what I would do;)
  • FatMoojor
    FatMoojor Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    Just limit your run to 1 hour and see if you can increase your pace a little each time. See if you can do 8.7 in an hour next time and then 8.8 etc.
  • AlisonH729
    AlisonH729 Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    Just ask. If it is not peak hours they shouldn't care.

This was my first thought after quickly reading the title.

Then I realized I've never been on the treadmill long enough to know this was a thing... :neutral:
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    The machines at my gym vary. Some let you do 60 minutes and some let you do a whopping 99 minutes. Generally I hate running inside but I had a couple longer runs after an ice storm. I just restarted the treadmill when it stopped.
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,716 Member
    Options
    FatMoojor wrote: »
    Just limit your run to 1 hour and see if you can increase your pace a little each time. See if you can do 8.7 in an hour next time and then 8.8 etc.

I think this is probably the best idea yet.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options

Then you are triathlete!

Have fun with it

Good luck on your run.

Is this approach appropriate for a new runner such as the OP?

Never mind. I see this has been addressed already.