Polar HR monitor not working right

Options
I have a new monitor and use the soft chest strap. I've used it for 6 weeks but the other day it was reading my HR in the 60's. I put a new battery in it and ran on my treadmill and it wasn't close. In the 60's when the treadmill said I 140. Is it time to return it? It's the FT4 I think, that doesn't need the chest strap to be moistened.

Replies

• ScubaSteve1962
    ScubaSteve1962 Posts: 612 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    which chest strap are you using, try moistening it, and putting a little ky jelly on it. If that doesn't, I've had good response from Polar customer service. Also were you holding the handles, or was it reading from your sensor?
  • fiddletime
    fiddletime Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    I bought a soft strap that didn't need moistening. I haven't used the one that came with the Polar. I was holding the handles as it wasn't reading via Bluetooth.
  • fiddletime
    edited October 2015
    Options
    It's called a Polar soft strap (just looked).

I'll try wetting it with water tomorrow. Thanks.
  • ScubaSteve1962
    Options
    I have the soft strap, and they recommended moistening it, I use electrogel, and moisten it before wearing it.
  • fiddletime
    Options
    I called the company today. They told me to take the battery out of the chest strap monitor and connect one end of a paper clip from the center and the other end to the divit of metal in the side to "reset" it. I wet the strap and tried it again and it read 45 when I timed my HR by counting as 60. I jogged a little and it was still way off. I'll call them tomorrow to see about a replacement. There were lots of 1 star reviews online regarding the FT7 not working and the paper clip fix that didn't work either.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    It could be a defective product. I've had my FT7 for two years and it has worked perfectly, except for when the chest strap wore out and I had to replace it.

Did you enter all your information in the monitor?
  • RoseTheWarrior
    RoseTheWarrior Posts: 2,035 Member
    Options
    Hmmm yes, I'd say you got a lemon there. I have a Polar FT4 with chest strap and it works perfectly. I hope you get it replaced with no issues!
  • fiddletime
    Options
    Yes, I entered my info and it worked great for the 5 weeks until it stopped reading my HR.
  • ScubaSteve1962
    Options
    fiddletime wrote: »
    I called the company today. They told me to take the battery out of the chest strap monitor and connect one end of a paper clip from the center and the other end to the divit of metal in the side to "reset" it. I wet the strap and tried it again and it read 45 when I timed my HR by counting as 60. I jogged a little and it was still way off. I'll call them tomorrow to see about a replacement. There were lots of 1 star reviews online regarding the FT7 not working and the paper clip fix that didn't work either.

My FT80 started acting crazy after 8 months, I sent it back in and they replaced it with no problem. I have a V800 now the band has started to crack, I inquired through online chat about how to buy a new one, they sent me one for free.

• fiddletime
    Options
    I was using a second strap I bought and switched over to the brand new first strap and it still read my HR as 40. They sent me a packing slip to mail it all back so they can check it. I'll do it tomorrow.
  • fiddletime
    Options
    I sent it in and they determined the transmitter was broken, not the strap. It's been replaced and is working great.